brandoaire

Raspberry Pi can now connect to Particle IoT Cloud

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:25 pm

Hello Raspberry Pi friends!

My name is Will, and I'm a member of the team at Particle, an IoT cloud platform for (up until now) embedded devices. We've shipped over 200,000 Wi-Fi and Cellular development kits, and are super excited to announce that we've been working with the Raspberry Pi Foundation to provide free IoT cloud support for the 10,000,000 Raspberry Pi devices already out in the world.

All Raspberry Pi devices, as of late November, will be able to connect to the Particle Cloud, and to take advantage of key IoT features like secure messaging, over-the-air updates, simplified GPIO control, data visualization, cloud integrations, and batch script execution out of the box. To learn more and to sign up for our beta program, visit http://www.particle.io/particle-pi.

The Raspberry Pi + Particle integration will bring a bunch of unique features to the Raspberry Pi that we're really excited about:

Run simple Arduino code on your Pi:
  • No more complicated tooling, setup, or scripting to perform simple tasks like trigger a pin, blink an LED, or read a sensor value. With Particle's Raspberry Pi Agent, you can write simple Arduino and C/C++ code that compiles and runs as an executable on your Raspberry Pi. Take advantage of Particle's hundreds of embedded libraries to make interacting with sensors and controlling your Pi's GPIO a breeze.
Remote Control of your Pi over the web
  • - Over the Air Firmware Updates
    - Batch Script Execution
    - Remote Data Collection
    - Integrations with IFTTT, Google Cloud, and other popular web services through Webhooks.
Best of all, access to the Particle Cloud is free! Sign up for the beta today -- we’ll be providing access to the first 1,000 Particle accounts at the end of November and rolling out unrestricted access throughout the following weeks.

To learn more about the integration, and to sign up for the beta program, please visit our sign up page at http://www.particle.io/particle-pi. If you have any questions, post them below!

Will @ Particle

Heater

Re: Raspberry Pi can now connect to Particle IoT Cloud

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:39 pm

So you are going to support 10,000,000 Pi for free.

Great.

What's the catch?

Who pays for this?

brandoaire

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:48 pm

Haha fair question, but no catch! In general, the Particle Cloud is free to use for prototyping, and you only start paying when you create a product with more than 25 devices. We have a very transparent pricing structure--you can learn more at https://www.particle.io/pricing.

Initially, It is possible that we will limit the number of Pi's that an individual account can register in order to mitigate risk as we scale up the service, but our intention is to provide this integration as a free prototyping resource to all Raspberry Pi developers.

Graymalk

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:07 pm

Sounds nice. I imagine a lot of people will find this interesting! I have at least one friend who already uses your service with something else so now he can try a raspberry Pi :lol:

doughboy

Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:27 am

brandoaire wrote: Remote Control of your Pi over the web
  • - Over the Air Firmware Updates
Can you tell us more about this? Whose firmware for example and is this using something similar to the OTA updates sent using digital TV channels to update some TV's like Sony's?

I'm curious.

naikrovek

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:42 pm

Updates come over Wi-Fi, over a protocol called CoAP.

That's how it is for the Particle devices, and I imagine that there would be a simple software package that can be installed on Raspbian, or (I think more likely) there's a bare metal RTOS that they ported from the STM32F204 CPUs in their existing hardware to turn a Raspberry Pi into a Particle device.

I have no inside knowledge of how it works on a Raspberry Pi, and I am a fan of the Particle.io platform and hardware. I have dozens and dozens of Particle Core and Photon devices that are sporadically in use for various things I work on, and several other dozens in production for various things.

It's good hardware, it's a good platform, and this is an IoT device and platform whose security will not be easily broken; they were smart about it.

doughboy

Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:43 pm

naikrovek wrote:Updates come over Wi-Fi, over a protocol called CoAP.
So if my Pi has no wifi, ie Rpi A,B,2 & 0, then theres no OTA firmware updates or remote control other than by using a wired connection, and performing the firmware updates using

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update
. Correct?

A Pi3 with the wifi in the chip could possibly do OTA firmware updates though?

brandoaire

Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:56 pm

@doughboy
The over-the-air firmware update feature allows you to remotely update code that you write for your Raspberry Pi, as well as the underlying Particle operating system.

So, for example, if you are using your Raspberry Pi as a security camera that takes a picture every 5 seconds, you could send your Pi a firmware update that changes it's behavior to take a picture every 2 seconds.

If your Pi is connected via Ethernet, you can do a remote update over Ethernet. The OTA process can be initiated from our development tools, so there's no need to be SSH'ed into the device to process the update.

Yes, if your Pi is connected over Wi-Fi, you can process the update over Wi-Fi!

Heater

Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:24 pm

Is the source code of everything we need to do this available?

Is this all end to end encrypted and authenticated? That is from my source on my PC, through the particle cloud, to my Pi?

What stops particle's servers installing whatever they like onto my Pi?

In short, how does my Pi know that the code it is being asked to run actually came from me?

doughboy

Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:37 pm

@brandoaire

Thanks for clearing that up, I was getting confused but can see now that what you call firmware, is what others might just call a setting change, and what you call OTA is wifi and ?OTE? is Ethernet.

And there I was thinking there was some secret features no one in the Rpi community had previously found until your announcement.

brandoaire

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:35 pm

Hey doughboy

I illustrated a simple example of a situation in which you might use an OTA update, but it is a true software change, not just the changing of a single setting.

An alternate example might be that you could remotely send an update to your Raspberry Pi to change it's functionality from taking a picture every 5 seconds to driving digital signage that tells you when the next bus is coming. You could then send another update that makes it flash an LED, and then send another update which makes it collect sensor data and publish it to Google Docs for analysis.

Does that make sense? The firmware you write for the Raspberry Pi can make it do whatever you design it to. The OTA process can be used to change that behavior dramatically, or to remotely make small tweaks to the functionality of the device.

naikrovek

Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:10 am

Heater wrote:Is the source code of everything we need to do this available?
Yeah, mostly. Well, the protocol is open, and there is an open source Node.js CoAP server available on GitHub that Particle (then "Spark") made available. I don't know if it is maintained. The OS for the Particle devices is open source and is actively developed on Github by Particle.

The web IDE is not open source, last I looked, but you can set up a local tool chain to compile and use the Particle cloud to upload the signed binary, or .. you might be able to do that on a locally hosted cloud as well, I am not sure.
Heater wrote:Is this all end to end encrypted and authenticated? That is from my source on my PC, through the particle cloud, to my Pi?
Yes. Yes.
Heater wrote:What stops particle's servers installing whatever they like onto my Pi?
By default, I am not sure that there is anything preventing this. If you deploy a local Particle CoAP server, the new key pair generated by establishing a device with that local cloud would prevent changes from the public Particle cloud.

Your application can control the connection to the Particle Cloud, however, and you can open TCP and UDP sockets feom the device and without using the Particle cloud. So, you could have your firmware sever it's connection to the Particle infrastructure first thing, then when a file appears on an http server that you control, reestablish the connection. That would be one way.[/quote]
Heater wrote:In short, how does my Pi know that the code it is being asked to run actually came from me?
The device has a public key that matches a private key on the Particle cloud. The code must be signed by the correct private key in order to deploy successfully. Each device has a unique public key.

One question I have: the Particle Photon cannot connect using Enterprise Wi-Fi. Can a Raspberry Pi do so when running the Particle OS?

brandoaire

Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:16 am

The Raspberry Pi has a different Wi-Fi radio than the Photon, and includes an independently managed software stack for connecting to Enterprise Wi-Fi networks. So, in short--yes, you should have no problem with Enterprise Wi-Fi networks.

naikrovek

Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:31 am

brandoaire wrote:The Raspberry Pi has a different Wi-Fi radio than the Photon, and includes an independently managed software stack for connecting to Enterprise Wi-Fi networks. So, in short--yes, you should have no problem with Enterprise Wi-Fi networks.
I was really hoping this was the answer. Thank you.

B.Goode

Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:19 pm

Will the Particle Local IDE be made available for Raspbian?

(In practice it is not easily available right now because it has the Atom editor as a pre-requisite, and it seems there is no simple path to install Atom with Raspbian.)

ypx

Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks for sharing. Good to hear that you are adding new features related to Particle.
I hope that you will release a Bluetooth LE device soon (or add BLE to photon) . I think it is very important.

brandoaire

Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:05 pm

@B.Goode -- we haven't tried installing the Particle Local IDE on the Raspberry Pi yet. The CLI is definitely compatible.

Remember, though, that you're able to develop from any IDE and flash the code wirelessly to the Raspberry Pi device as though you were developing from the device itself. So, although there's no strong need to develop directly on the Raspberry Pi, you will be able to.

brandoaire

Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:23 pm

As a follow up, we're currently targeting November 21 for the release of the beta to the first 1,000 users. We're getting close to the signup cap but still under it, so be sure to sign up soon if you're interested and want a new toy to mess around with over Thanksgiving break :-P

Return to “General discussion”