nublol

Problem with forum registration. Bot detection fails.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:25 am

I have lurked this forum for over 2 years, but now i decided to register. During registration i had problems with that bot detection question. How to act when question has multiple correct answers, when question is subjective or person has different opinions than admins?

I was asked:
Confirmation of registration
Which of these is delicious? GravelChocolateWormsTelevision:
This question is a means of preventing automated form submissions by spambots.
Well as a smart person i understood that my options are , Gravel, Chocolate, Worms and Television. As i know Television is not something that can be eaten and none normally eats gravel. So only viable answers left was Chocolate and Worms.

As far as i know, people in some cultures eats worms and think they are delicious. Some animals eat worms, specially birds. When other hand chocolate can be very dangerous to animals, dogs as example.

I have eaten worms once in a contest of my local pub. And yes, they were actually kinda delicious. Therefore i answerde "worms" to that question and it constantly claimed that my answer is wrong, when it's not! Worms are delicious!
Instead only answer that registration was chocolate. I just bought some raw chocolate and it was far away from delicious. So i can definitely say that for me chocolate was not correct answer!

I know that most people using this forum likes of chocolate or haven't ever eaten worms. Still as i said not everyone likes of chocolate and there is some cultures/tribes that still eat worms. Therefore this question has multiple correct answers depending of personal taste. I think that person who makes these questions should think that people have different opinions and therefore (s)he should allow multiple answers or avoid subjective questions.

Ugh, i have spoken

MikeDunn

Re: Problem with forum registration. Bot detection fails.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:37 pm

Are you sure there are 4 answers ?

I see Gravel, Chocolate Worms, and Television ...

(mmmmmm, chocolate worms ... ... ... :twisted: )

DavidS

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:56 pm

Hence why I liked the simple equation to solve that the forums used when I registered in 2011 . The equations where simple enough for a young child to solve, though formated so as to be unlikely for a bot to pick up on.

Yes multiple choice verification questions are often ambigous. You just have to ask what the majority of people in the culture that hosts the site would use as a responce.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Forum questions are refreshed regularly, as needed, that is every month or so, to keep the spambots out.
A new one is coming up soon, as the forum is receiving (russian) spam in masses.
None of it makes it through, but moderators are not too happy right now.

Burngate

Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:29 pm

Chocolate Worms ... Did Martin Luther like them, or was The Holy Roman Emperor Charles V hooked on them? We should be told.

Return to “General discussion”