DavidS

Re: Putting Up A Web Page: "Web Server"?

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:56 pm

All I was saying was to include ALL the official OS's of the RPi. That is give solutions that do not matter as to the target OS, unless it is something for which there is only a limited set of possible targets.

It is interesting that nearly every RPi owner I know in person prefers RISC OS on there RPi, and how so many make statements like yours on these forums, saying the rarity of an OS that when one looks around in person seems to be very commonly used (with the exception of those that do not know to give it a try).

Yes there are a number of people that do not like RISC OS, and some that use both RISC OS and some Linux, as they like some of the things that have not YET come to RISC OS. Though it is not as uncommon as you make it sound. I think I now know why so many of the RISC OS users whent running from these forums around two years ago, all headed toward more RISC OS freindly means of descusion.

It is those that actively make comments that keep people from trying RISC OS that keeps RISC OS from being more common than it already is, and keeps down the rate of new software for RISC OS (more people interested equals more software developers equals more new software).

Sorry about above OT RANT It had to be said.

back on topic:
I think there is enough information in this thread to allow the OP to make up there own mind or two.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Heater

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:09 pm

DavidS,
All I was saying was to include ALL the official OS's of the RPi.
No. I won't.

It's great that that RISC OS lives on here. It's an important historical artifact. Realistically it is not part of the modern world and has very few users.

Also the Windows IoT thing is given succour here. I have no idea why. I have no interest in supporting that either.

Yep, this is all way off topic for our OP's needs.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

ejolson

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:47 am

Given that Python is the language the Pi is named after, it seems reasonable to mention that the Flask library for Python is rather easy to use. There is a tutorial

https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/py ... ith-flask/

on the official Raspberry Pi website as well as examples

http://mattrichardson.com/Raspberry-Pi-Flask/

see also

http://jack.minardi.org/raspberry_pi/ma ... and-flask/

for controlling GPIO through a webpage using Python and Flask.

rpdom

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:47 am

Heater wrote:DavidS,
All I was saying was to include ALL the official OS's of the RPi.
No. I won't.

It's great that that RISC OS lives on here. It's an important historical artifact. Realistically it is not part of the modern world and has very few users.
It is very rare that I will agree with Heather, but in this case I do, and that is as someone who used ARMs from the very beginning, before the Archimedes was released. I used Arthur and RISC OS for many years and was very happy with it. It was a great OS in its day, but that day is over.

I know quite a few Pi users personally. Maybe two of those have ever tried RISC OS and none of them use it on a regular basis.

Heater

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:39 am

rpdom,

Lucky guy. I'm jealous. Back in the day I lusted after an Archi. Could never afford one. All I had was an Archi poster on the wall :(

That's "heater" by the way.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

rpdom

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:44 am

Heater wrote:rpdom,

Lucky guy. I'm jealous. Back in the day I lusted after an Archi. Could never afford one. All I had was an Archi poster on the wall :(

That's "heater" by the way.
Damn spellchecker. Suits you though ;-)

I got one of the early batch of Archies, with a fair discount otherwise I couldn't have afforded one. I needed it for my work too. I went to the official launch in London. That was interesting, plus loads of free drinks :-)

mfa298

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:13 am

ejolson wrote:Given that Python is the language the Pi is named after, it seems reasonable to mention that the Flask library for Python is rather easy to use. .
for controlling GPIO through a webpage using Python and Flask.
I'm glad to see a response that's useful to the OP providing a detailed Python option :D

Honesty I feel that as more experienced users we should provide a set of decent options and let the OP make up their own mind which to use (possibly after a bit of experimentation). Saying that a particular language or library is the only way to go isn't helpful. The sign of a good programmer is that they have a good sized tool box (knowledge of various tools and libraries) and can choose the right one for the task. Part of the right tool is also down to personal preference so what's right for each of us might not be right for others. A good programmer should also be able to recognise when they don't have the right tool and go and find it (I'm personally not a fan of Python, but there are a few things that I've done where it is the best choice and should be used rather than trying to make something else work).

Arguments about RiscOS don't really help anyone, neither does saying a particular language / library choice is the only way to go (they all have their benefits and issues).

For the OP, the best first step might be looking at the various languages suggested: Go*, Node, Python, Ruby (alphabetical order to save arguments). Try out a few basic things in them (play with some GPIO, get a basic web page up) and then decide what one you want to pursue. Then if you find you don't get on well with one try something different. If you get stuck ask questions either in the languages own community or here. When starting out it would probably make sense to stick with one language at a time, as you get more experienced try out some new languages (there are lots out there, some more useful than others).

* I don't think Go has been mentioned yet but I'm aware that it's also a popular language used for building webapps.

Return to “General discussion”