John59

FCC/CE Radio Certifications

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:12 pm

If I wanted to use a RPi 3 Model B in my product, and all I would be adding is three LEDs and my own plastic enclosure, would I have to redo all the FCC and CE compliance testing including intentional radiator testing for the wifi/BLE radio? Or would the testing already performed on the Pi cover me? Thanks!

MikeDunn

Re: FCC/CE Radio Certifications

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:18 pm

Why on earth would you need to ?

Heater

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:43 pm

Because....

We can order a bunch of components to build something or other. Transistors, resistors, capacitors, inductors, chips, lengths of wire etc etc. None of which need any FCC certification. But when we combine them into a product that thing could be spewing tons of crap into the EM spectrum and upsetting radio communication. Exactly what the FCC is supposed to police.

Already we have people posting about how to make radio transmitters using the raspi GPIO pins. A really bad idea.

Would a raspi based product with some LEDs and such cause such problems? Unlikely. But perhaps you have to prove it.

CE is a different story.

John59

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:38 pm

I've put the question to the FCC.

jadro

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:33 am

I try to do the same but in institute for quality testing in Croatia there is necessarry for your product to have CE or other certificate even when all components were tested and have his own certificate. In Croatia this is around 10000 to 12000 euros for get those certificates. I gave up for now the idea.

Jadro
Oracle backend database developer
SmartHome IoT & Microprocessor enthusiast and hobbyist

Return to “General discussion”