rpidude

Kernel 2.6?

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Anyone know if any of the distros on the downloads page has kernel v2.6 (or even 2.4)? I want to run an executable that is setup for these versions and getting one of these kernels would be the simplest way to do this. Thanks.

jojopi

Re: Kernel 2.6?

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Executables are not really compiled against a specific kernel version, but against a version of glibc. The version of glibc will impose some restrictions on the kernels supported, but probably not to the extent of caring between 2.6.x and 3.x.

Is your executable statically linked? If not, does it use the same floating-point ABI as the rest of the distro? Is it even compiled for ARMv6? What happens when you try to run it?

rpidude

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:17 pm

I got a "cannot execute binary file" error. The executable is the PIC-micro programmer here... http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcpl ... ts=pickit2 . There are executables for linux kernel v2.4 and for v2.6, but I don't know anything else about it (statically linked, etc).

There is a source-code version, which I did try to build, but it stopped with errors (missing usb.h, etc). I was thinking I'd first try to find a 2.6 kernel distro before chasing down & fixing the errors.

itimpi

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:37 pm

rpidude wrote:I got a "cannot execute binary file" error. The executable is the PIC-micro programmer here... http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcpl ... ts=pickit2 . There are executables for linux kernel v2.4 and for v2.6, but I don't know anything else about it (statically linked, etc).

There is a source-code version, which I did try to build, but it stopped with errors (missing usb.h, etc). I was thinking I'd first try to find a 2.6 kernel distro before chasing down & fixing the errors.
You will have to start from the source - any Linux none-source downloads will be for Intel versions of Linux.

I think looking for a 2.6 kernel that could run on the Pi is not a practical thing to do as no-one will have done the required mods to such an old kernel version. If you want to proceed you need to work out how to get it to compile on the urgent Pi kernel.

rpidude

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Doh! Completely forgot about the intel/arm processor difference. Yes, compiling source it is. Thanks

inno

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:52 pm

rpidude,

did you manage to compile a 2.6 kernel version ?
If yes, how is it working? I am wanting to do this same thing.

-inno

afol

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:27 pm

I'd be very interested in a 2.6 kernel too... On countless nights I've cried myself to sleep over that issue, but to no avail...

sdjf

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:12 pm

What you want is to build a custom kernel. The 2.4 linux kernel is available at:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v ... 4.6.tar.gz

They probably also have the source for 2.6 kernel, I just do not have the 2.6 links.

Then you would have to patch it for what would fit the raspberry pi hardware and chips. Not an easy feat.

But anything with a 2.x kernel is going to be so old that it will be hard to find other up to date and newer software for it.

I know there is a lot of open source software and custom 2.4 and 2.6 kernels for the Zaurus PDA built by Sharp which use ARM processors, have no idea if you could port any of those to run on the Raspberry Pi.

I suppose you could ask at the Zaurus forums at OESF if anyone has considered porting one of the Zaurus distributions to the Raspberry Pi, I have not seen anyone there mention the Pi yet. http://www.oesf.org/forum
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

mhkabir

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi experts,
I am looking for kernel 2.6 version for compiling/installing AODV-UU. Can you please help me regarding that.

Best Regards,
Kabir

Heater

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Be serious. Kernel 2.6 was seven years ago!

AODV-UU was at least maintained till Kernel Version 3.8

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... Version_38

Sounds like if you want to keep it running it needs your love and maintenance...
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “General discussion”