kingneil

Which components of a Pi have unique serial numbers..?

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:00 pm

Which components of a Raspberry Pi have unique serial numbers..?

I know there is a unique serial number written into the OTP registers when the Pi is manufactured.

But what about other components..?

I don't just mean a standard product number.. but a number that is truly different for every device manufactured.

Which devices... if any?

1. SD card...?

2. CPU...?

3. GPU...?

4. USB Keyboard..?

5. USB Mouse...?

6. WiFi chip..?

7. Ethernet chip..?

etc

I want to know which components have a unique serial number. Key word: UNIQUE.

Heater

Re: Which components of a Pi have unique serial numbers..?

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Perhaps all of the above.

Or perhaps not.

We have no way to know what goes on inside an SD card and it's controller. Or any of the others.
Last edited by Heater on Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

rpdom

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:50 pm

Probably none of them.

gregeric

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:08 pm

Inside the Pi3's fifth ARM core, that Cortex M3 inside the BCM43438 BT/WiFi combo chip, maybe?

But definitely on the Datamatrix barcode label stuck on the underside of all current Pi PCBs bar the Zero & Compute Module. Not easily accessible from software though ;)

klricks

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:48 am

Not really a serial number but Ethernet and WIFI each have a unique MAC address. Not sure what BT has?
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Douglas6

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:35 am

Bluetooth has a Bluetooth device address which is essentially a MAC address. Same format, same governing body. Different namespace.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:16 am

Even the OTP serial number in the BCM283x isn't guaranteed to be unique. It's a generated random number.

broe23

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:37 am

Pretty much anything that is a Silicone chip. They code the serial number on the Silicone during manufacturing. It is so that if used for wrongful reasons, those who say use a device to set off an IED. Those who get to put the pieces back together can tell what manufacturer made them.

The actual unique ID code that is used in those chips for devices and work alongside the CPU and GPU, it allows the Kernel to be able to know how to route instructions and also know which was the fault if something fails, so that when you have to troubleshoot hardware or code, you know where the problem is.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

timrowledge

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:54 am

broe23 wrote:Pretty much anything that is a Silicone chip.
Phew. Just as well none of my Pi have any 'silicone' chips then.

Remember- silicon is used in Silicon Valley for computers. Silicone is used in Hollywood for fake boobs.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

broe23

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:04 am

timrowledge wrote:
broe23 wrote:Pretty much anything that is a Silicone chip.
Phew. Just as well none of my Pi have any 'silicone' chips then.

Remember- silicon is used in Silicon Valley for computers. Silicone is used in Hollywood for fake boobs.
Nice catch. Fat finger mistakes always make sure people are paying attention. Just for that, I am leaving it there to see how many others catch it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

CarlRJ

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:10 am

I'm having the strangest sense of déjà vu...

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:13 am

CarlRJ wrote:I'm having the strangest sense of déjà vu...
Can you have deja vu for the first time? ;)
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

RaTTuS

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:07 am

6by9 wrote:
yes you can .. well
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=161534
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

6by9

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:55 am

RaTTuS wrote:
6by9 wrote:
yes you can .. well
Sorry, I knew CarlRJ's reference, but it was making me think of a very silly poet called Les Barker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xm2MBeh-ec
Perhaps we should be glad that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycWAl3Fg6MQ isn't relevant to Pi.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

RaTTuS

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:02 am

hahaha :D :lol:
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

scotty101

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:29 am

Isn't this just an extension of the below topic started by the OP?

Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

mutley

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:15 pm

kingneil wrote:Which components of a Raspberry Pi have unique serial numbers..?

I know there is a unique serial number written into the OTP registers when the Pi is manufactured.

Then the answer is nothing.
This has been discussed before, and there is not one single number that's actually UNIQUE on the Pi. There are some, like the serial number you mentioned above that have a "slim to none" chance of being duplicated, but that is far from a guaranteed of being unique.

This is ignoring anything printed on the outside of a component, I have no idea about that.

mfa298

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:45 pm

I think the HAT specification includes a UUID field which should be unique. But this only applies to Pi's with a HAT designed to the HAT specification (so only a small subset of Pis out there).

W. H. Heydt

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:46 pm

scotty101 wrote:Isn't this just an extension of the below topic started by the OP?

Yes, it is, which makes it a case of creating a new thread on the same topic as a closed thread, and that is a violation of Forum rules. Therefore, I don't expect this thread to stay open very long, plus the OP is likely to receive a bit of a talking to. Or in US parlance, he's likely to be taken out behind the woodshed.

Heater

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:01 pm

Never mind the "behind the woodshed".

We have not had a good public lynching in these parts for ages.

Get the beer and barbecue ready...
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

broe23

Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:00 am

scotty101 wrote:Isn't this just an extension of the below topic started by the OP?

Yep. Sounded familiar now. This whole thread is about as bad as the one Liz put up about someone thinking that the foundation would allow a chip to be placed on the boards to allow the sale of fake anti-malware software. Beginning to wonder if the person that sent the message to Liz, is the same person making up these ridiculous posts about stuff that cannot be done without reverse engineering the chips.

broe23

Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:02 am

mutley wrote:

Then the answer is nothing.
This has been discussed before, and there is not one single number that's actually UNIQUE on the Pi. There are some, like the serial number you mentioned above that have a "slim to none" chance of being duplicated, but that is far from a guaranteed of being unique.

This is ignoring anything printed on the outside of a component, I have no idea about that.
Nice that you are playing third party again. How many profiles did you make up this week?

broe23

Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:06 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:

Yes, it is, which makes it a case of creating a new thread on the same topic as a closed thread, and that is a violation of Forum rules. Therefore, I don't expect this thread to stay open very long, plus the OP is likely to receive a bit of a talking to. Or in US parlance, he's likely to be taken out behind the woodshed.
In turn we get to make bets what their next username is. The longer they let this person continue these threads, it is just only going to get worst until they block their IP.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:33 am

broe23 wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:

In turn we get to make bets what their next username is. The longer they let this person continue these threads, it is just only going to get worst until they block their IP.
I'm rather more curious about why he has this particular flea in his ear. As was said in the other thread, this is getting perilously close to tin foil hat territory.

broe23

Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:42 am

It is getting to this point. I have not been on here for almost a month and suddenly the board gets hit by this one person trying to scare off the new adopters of the Pi. Grocery and retail stores know way more about us than the Internet. Even if you use just cash, the stores record that transaction, including the items that are scanned in at the register are being put into a database telling the inventory system all of the dirty details. Even the newer vehicles collect data on you. Nothing is sacred these days.

The best one that I have seen is that some have mistaken the IR on the front of the Cable Box for a camera.

Return to “General discussion”