MrRose

Re: Problems with SD card

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:07 pm

Tinderbox (UK) wrote:Did i read you used an android app that checks for fake microsd cards, I have used an app like that on Samsung and Sandisk cards and all the cards i tested showed as being real and not fake.
Yes. Some app showed me that it is Samsung memory card.
I would just return or bin the card as it has proven unreliable and should not be trusted with you work.
I want to understand what happened because everything is rather suspicious. It is more important than fact that SD card is ready for bin.
I just bought 3x8gb Sandisk to use with my Pi3B and have put them though the same error test and they all check out fine no errors.
I prefer Sandisk and Toshiba cards.

MrRose

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:16 pm

Tinderbox (UK) wrote:I just read that when a flash card starts getting write errors as you can only write to the memory cells so many times, or when it just goes faulty, they will lock themselves so you can no longer write to the card as your data would not be saved, but you can read from the card to get the data off.

I don't know if this is what has happen to your microsd.

John.
Normally can read and write data to remaining 1.2GB partition but I can't do anything with that partition itself.

Tinderbox (UK)

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:20 pm

So how old was that Samsung microsd was it used much, I have had an microsd card just suddenly die while transferring data to it, but it was not a big brand name card, that`s why i only buy Samsung or Sandisk now.

John.
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

ejolson

Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:00 pm

Tinderbox (UK) wrote:So how old was that Samsung microsd was it used much, I have had an microsd card just suddenly die while transferring data to it, but it was not a big brand name card, that`s why i only buy Samsung or Sandisk now.

John.
It seems like the card was either defective or counterfeit. Either way, Samsung might like a look at it. As for name brand versus lesser known brand, chances of an unknown brand being counterfeit is very less, since it is the name brands which command the high profit margins.

RaTTuS

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:49 am

it's worth doing a h2testw [windows] or f3 [linux version] whenever you get a new sdcard
as this will
a) assure you that you have a card that works
b) stop any weirdness that may occur soon after installation
c) save you time and energy

I know this is old but it is still relevant please read https://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3554 or if that is too technical for you then check out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3GDPwIuRKI which is their talk
and to note again - this is still relevant as these practices are still ongoing - and with bigger real estate on wafers you have more room to put in more complex coding

to the OP = unless you where hammering the sdcard with loads of writes it is very unlikely that it was raspbian that caused it
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

MrRose

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:09 pm

Tinderbox (UK) wrote:So how old was that Samsung microsd was it used much, I have had an microsd card just suddenly die while transferring data to it, but it was not a big brand name card, that`s why i only buy Samsung or Sandisk now.

John.
A new one. It wast the first use of it.

John.
It seems like the card was either defective or counterfeit. Either way, Samsung might like a look at it. As for name brand versus lesser known brand, chances of an unknown brand being counterfeit is very less, since it is the name brands which command the high profit margins.
Phone app says it is Samsung card. That means, it isn't a counterfeit.

Still nobody could answer why 1.2GB partition is being locked for any changes but it allows r/w operations in the same time?
Last edited by MrRose on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinderbox (UK)

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:16 pm

I download a Sandisk microsd product manual, and it says you can enable write protection temporarily or permanently, though it does not explain how, though it has to do with software as there is no physical switch.

I have seen usb memory sticks show as write protected, I downloaded an app that unlocked the stick, this was a few years ago and the app did not work on a stick a friend had as i think it only worked for a certain brand.

John.
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

i486

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:11 am

MrRose wrote:Still nobody could answer why 1.2GB partition is being locked for any changes but it allows r/w operations in the same time?
It is write protected all time but because of OS cache you think that some changes are made.
Tinderbox (UK) wrote:I download a Sandisk microsd product manual, and it says you can enable write protection temporarily or permanently, though it does not explain how, though it has to do with software as there is no physical switch.
I have seen usb memory sticks show as write protected, I downloaded an app that unlocked the stick, this was a few years ago and the app did not work on a stick a friend had as i think it only worked for a certain brand.
There are 2 flags (bits) in CSD - temporary and permanent write protect. You can change them with low level SD commands (Program CSD). But the problem here is that TempWriteProtect is disabled and the card is write protected for some other reason. You can disable the write protection (see my other post: viewtopic.php?p=1058730#p1058730 ), unfortunately after few written KB or MB the SD card is returned in the old state.

khamphukhoa

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:17 am

Thanks for share! i with you will share many wirter better!
http://vietnamksc.com/dich-vu/cach-diet-muoi-hieu-qua-nhat.html

MrRose

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:35 pm

is there a soft for changing these bits mentioned above?

Tinderbox (UK)

Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:04 pm

Try this Check Flash app, I have been using it for years to error test my flash memory devices, I read the other day it can format flash devices that say they are write protected.

Select read and write test as a logical drive or as a physical device.

http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?pag ... chkflsh_en

You will have to format the card with another program if the check flash app works.

John.
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

MrRose

Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:34 pm

ChkFlsh is one of my favorite programs for a long period of time but I'm not sure that it can change any register on SD controller )

MrRose

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:29 pm

I will repeat my question once again. Does anybody know about some editor of SD card controller's registers? I couldn't find anything. By idea it should exist.

Tinderbox (UK)

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

RaTTuS

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:15 pm

^ probably not...
and no it's not easy to find stuff to play with the sdcard registers because they are all propriety ...

if your sdcard has gone read only then accept it and carry on [IMO]
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

johnb_summers

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:59 pm

It has been my experience that some cards that worked in wheezy do not work in Jessie for long, I bought many different cards to test this and opened my first thread here about it, would post a link if I could find it, called SD cards blowing, the Samsung evo 16 gb card failed every time with the same problem, so did the Kingston 8gb cards, I found the most stable cards that lasted every test was the Kingston 16gb card and the Samsung 32gb card, in fact all my pi's have one of the two and have run 24/7 for the last 6 months with no problems. I buy only those 2 types now, if I want any more space then I use 1TB hard drives.
MyPi Developer
http://mypiworld.com/
http://mypi.tech/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2nyRgg-SY&nohtml5=False

Tinderbox (UK)

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:17 pm

The Samsung 32GB got best value for speed in the microsd comparison.

http://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff- ... crosd-card

John.
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

MrRose

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Tinderbox (UK) wrote:Maybe this will help.

http://techlogitic.com/easy-steps-to-re ... m-sd-card/

John.
Thank you John but I've already tried all of these steps. Nothing helped, of course ))

MrRose

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:59 pm

RaTTuS wrote:^ probably not...
and no it's not easy to find stuff to play with the sdcard registers because they are all propriety ...

if your sdcard has gone read only then accept it and carry on [IMO]
I've already buy a new SD card and it works fine. Just want to understand what happened and why I can't change my 1.2GB partition after trying to setup RPi system over NOOBS. As I told many times before my "working" partition is 1,2GB large and NOOBS needs 1.17GB for its files. I'm suspecting that NOOBS made some nuisances during formatting of SD card.

i486

Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:19 pm

If the card is working normally, all partition changes can be reset with SDFormatter from sdcard.org. But I suspect that the card is in read-only (wrong) state and you cannot modify anything.

Essary

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:02 pm

try to formatt your sd card by a android smartphone ,
that work fine !!!

Kishore0606

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Use SD card formatter software to recover your SD card or you can recover by using some commands in command prompt

Return to “General discussion”