MrRose

Problems with SD card

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:43 pm

I wanted to install NOOBS on my Samsung Evo 16GH SDXC card and did everything written here:
http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2015/0 ... formatter/

After that I put noobs files (full version) onto card and started to install OS. After a half of an hour Rpi showed some error message and now I can't return micro SD card into normal conditions. It shows 1.17GB inside od Windows' file explorer and 14,9GB from Disk Management console. This 1.17 GB partition isn't visible from management console. Can someone suggest what to do?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Problems with SD card

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:34 pm

Start again: https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/so ... quickstart

Though when using SD Card Formatter you need to set "size adjustment "ON""
Retired disgracefully.....

MrRose

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:29 pm

I set everything what needed. From the moment when I tried to install Noobs I can't access full capacity of msdc. SDFormatter behaves itself unusually. It doesn't work fluently as before (not responding for a long period of time).

fruitoftheloom

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:34 pm

MrRose wrote:I set everything what needed. From the moment when I tried to install Noobs I can't access full capacity of msdc. SDFormatter behaves itself unusually. It doesn't work fluently as before (not responding for a long period of time).
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151

MrRose

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:59 pm

I've read everything there but couldn't find anything related with my problem. This is the first time to see such a strange behavior of SD card. When I try to do any changes with Minitool Partition Wizard it always returns me to the previous state. Also, when I try to reformat card from SDFormatter it returns this:

I've tried with many adapters (including those attached to USB) with 3 different PCs but without success.

MrRose

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:14 pm

it seems that SD card is in some read-only state. I've never seen this before although I managed to return original memory size many times in the past.

broe23

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:52 pm

NOOBS is just a drag and copy to the SD card. It states that at https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/so ... uickstart/ If the SD adapter switch is moved to the wrong position, it disables the pin that allows writing to the Micro-SD card.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

MrRose

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:59 am

Saga continues :)

I put micro SD into mobile phone and connect it to PC. After that I went into Partition Wizard and resize main partition from 1.17GB to about 15GB. Everything worked fine and I could write large files onto SD card. Obviously both of my external card readers didn't support SDXC format. More interesting is that my HP notebook from 2013 doesn't recognize these cards correctly.

BUT when I removed SD card and turn it on again everything disappeared and my old 1.17 GB partition has been appeared again!!! That 1.17GB is region devoted to NOOBS and after formatting of mSD during installation of Raspbian something went wrong. As I wrote previously, this is the first time to see that a SD card behave itself on this way.

RaTTuS

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:04 am

post a link to where you bought this card
see
https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539
for testing it
you may have a fake card.
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

MrRose

Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:51 am

I've bought it on eBay, UK (re)seller and some programs which I used shows that it is really Samsung's MMC 16GB. As I previously wrote this card (until you remove it from reader) shows real 16GB capacity (tested with large archive files which worked fine from SD card) so any program like h2testw won't show correct results. On the other words, it will say it is fake but it isn't.

RaTTuS

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:15 pm

1) bought off ebay = fake [not 100% of the time but meh] - show us the link
2) change it back to vfat format it 16G then h2testw it - if that fail then you have a fake open a dispute with ebay
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

MrRose

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:20 pm

here's a link to a shop which sells kilts and a few memory cards ))

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_nkw=& ... =100&rt=nc

MrRose

Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Why I am suspecting in NOOBS? Memory card capacity left at 1.17GB which is capacity needed for keeping its files on memory card. Counterfeited cards generally won't have that capacity after formatting. It would be close to 1 or 2 GB. My card seems locked for any changing of created partitions. Even if I try to shrink existing partition I'm unable to do that. The same thing is related with my tries to change file system.

MrRose

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:52 pm

Too complicated question, I know. It is not so common to meet connoisseurs of low level SD card organization on the forums like this one.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:01 pm

MrRose wrote:Too complicated question, I know. It is not so common to meet connoisseurs of low level SD card organization on the forums like this one.
Forget NOBS.

Format Card FAT32 as single partition.

Install Raspbian Jessie from .IMG file.

Though still would suspect fake card..........

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:21 pm

MrRose wrote:Why I am suspecting in NOOBS? Memory card capacity left at 1.17GB which is capacity needed for keeping its files on memory card. Counterfeited cards generally won't have that capacity after formatting. It would be close to 1 or 2 GB. My card seems locked for any changing of created partitions. Even if I try to shrink existing partition I'm unable to do that. The same thing is related with my tries to change file system.
Something's "not quite right" :o You should be seeing something more like what I show here:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... 14P2B.html
(with minor variations, given that those screenshots are for an older version of the NOOBS installer)
Are you using an "internal" card reader/slot or an external, USB-based one? (The latter is preferred since the slots on older machines are not guaranteed to be fully SDHC compatible)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

MrRose

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:15 am

fruitoftheloom wrote: Forget NOBS.

Format Card FAT32 as single partition.

Install Raspbian Jessie from .IMG file.
Unfortunately, I can't
Though still would suspect fake card..........
If it is a faked one, it wouldn't have capacity of 1,2 GB, space needed for NOOBS. Moreover, I'd be able to create more partitions from remaining1,2GB but they are simply locked.

MrRose

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:25 am

FTrevorGowen wrote:
MrRose wrote: Something's "not quite right" :o You should be seeing something more like what I show here:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... 14P2B.html
(with minor variations, given that those screenshots are for an older version of the NOOBS installer)
I've seen all of that but with a new SD card :D
Are you using an "internal" card reader/slot or an external, USB-based one? (The latter is preferred since the slots on older machines are not guaranteed to be fully SDHC compatible)
Trev.
Firstly I tried with notebook's card reader. It is a 3-4years old computer so I don't think that it is unable to recognize SDHC/SDXC cards. After that I tried with external card reader but results are the same.(take mention on USB sign at the beginning of screenshot)

I it possible that an external reader can work with SDHC but not with SDXC?

Tinderbox (UK)

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:39 am

Try formatting in an mobile phone or a camera or games console if you have an sdhc adaptor then format in windows using the "SD Formatter" app and turn size adjustment on.

John
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:39 am

MrRose wrote:
FTrevorGowen wrote: ...
Trev.
Firstly I tried with notebook's card reader. It is a 3-4years old computer so I don't think that it is unable to recognize SDHC/SDXC cards. After that I tried with external card reader but results are the same.(take mention on USB sign at the beginning of screenshot)

I it possible that an external reader can work with SDHC but not with SDXC?
4 years could still be too old (especially for SDXC). However, if you use the *.img file method you don't need to format the card, since a "direct write" of the the whole card (partition layout etc.) takes place. FWIW, some screenshots/notes here for Windows 10 on a netbook (updated from Windows 7) of similar (?) age to yours:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... Win10.html
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

i486

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:45 am

When the SD card become in read-only state, all re-partitioning, file copy, etc. operations look working because of PC cache. When you remove the card and put it again, it is in its old state. I am not sure whether the reason is "fake" card or some operation is breaking the cards. I have seen at least 30 cards in this state. I hope this is specific bad firmware and there are other brands or models which are with better firmware - otherwise the SD cards are the most non-reliable media, worse than cheap 3.5" diskettes.

MrRose

Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:11 pm

Tinderbox (UK) wrote:Try formatting in an mobile phone or a camera or games console if you have an sdhc adaptor then format in windows using the "SD Formatter" app and turn size adjustment on.

John
Already tried with mobile phone and SD Formatter 4 too. Also, tried with Odroid C1 (SBC similar to RPi) from Linux with Gparted. Nothing helped.

As I told my RPi3 works now on a new SD card but I want to understand what happened with my first card. The biggest mystery is why I can't divide existing 1,2GB partition on, let's say, 2x600MB. I can't do anything with that partition. By theory I could do that even if my card is fake.

Tinderbox (UK)

Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:23 pm

Did i read you used an android app that checks for fake microsd cards, I have used an app like that on Samsung and Sandisk cards and all the cards i tested showed as being real and not fake.

I would just return or bin the card as it has proven unreliable and should not be trusted with you work.

95% of the sdhc and microsd cards i have bough for years have been Samsung on my cameras and phones, and i run every one with a number of error test programs before i ever use them, and i have never had any errors.

I just bought 3x8gb Sandisk to use with my Pi3B and have put them though the same error test and they all check out fine no errors.

John.
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Tinderbox (UK)

Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:50 pm

I just read that when a flash card starts getting write errors as you can only write to the memory cells so many times, or when it just goes faulty, they will lock themselves so you can no longer write to the card as your data would not be saved, but you can read from the card to get the data off.

I don't know if this is what has happen to your microsd.

John.
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

MrRose

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:03 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote: However, if you use the *.img file method you don't need to format the card, since a "direct write" of the the whole card (partition layout etc.) takes place.
I also tried to write image file onto SD card with Win32Disk Imager but without success

Return to “General discussion”