profdc9

Re: A related project

Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Perhaps there might be interest in a similar project, which is a single-chip BASIC programmable computer that connects to a television and keyboard:

http://jumentum.sourceforge.net/

You can see an example of it plugged into a TV at http://jumentum.sourceforge.net/lpc1768-video.html . It uses the low-cost self-contained NXP LPC1768 microcontroller to do everything including generating NTSC or PAL video through software using the DMA controller.

Obviously it won\'t replace an entire Linux PC, but it does have some of the capabilities needed to experiment with programming, networking, hardware, and the like, and not every application requires a full operating system. It would be especially useful for one who wants to add a web or TV front end to a home hardware project. The system operates with 64 kilobytes of RAM, with amenties such as a full-screen text editor, web server, and sockets.

Perhaps it could be incorporated into your own projects.

Dan

hippy

Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:45 pm

[quote]Quote from profdc9 on December 3, 2011, 21:43
It would be especially useful for one who wants to add a web or TV front end to a home hardware project. The system operates with 64 kilobytes of RAM, with amenties such as a full-screen text editor, web server, and sockets.
[/quote]

I really don\'t want to knock this project ( and others like it ) as they are worthy efforts in themselves, but when it comes to looking at usefulness and capability the R-Pi equally or better fits the bill, delivers more, and probably at a comparable cost or when factoring in the extras it gives. It\'s so cost effective that you can afford to \'waste most of what the R-Pi offers\' in having it do something almost trivial but the extras are there should you like to do more. I think this is what is currently setting geekdom alight.

There are a number of simple projects I\'ve had in mind for the benefits of others that the R-Pi can do at no extra cost and with more advantages, both in doing more and the potential of community support to help me deliver more.

Long may niche products and projects continue, whether using purpose built hardware or the general purpose R-Pi leveraged into that role. The nice thing about the potential ubiquitousness of the R-Pi and its community support is that it will open the door to many more niche projects.

eric_baird

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:08 pm

Perhaps if everyone uses the same \"credit card with four corner holes\" board template, users could pick and mix boards and peripherals, between projects.

Narishma

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:03 pm

This looks to be related to Arduino more than Raspberry Pi.

tntexplosivesltd

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:59 pm

It looks a lot more like a software project, the complete opposite to the R-Pi. Sure, there are plans for the devices, but the pain purpose of that project is the software side of things. The R-Pi is more focused on the hardware, but there is also a software focus, so it feels like a more complete package. Plus it seems way more flexible, not being limited to BASIC.

tadryanom

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:26 am

I saw a prototype a little unusual, it is the mbed NXP LPC1768 Prototyping Board, check out more details here: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/mbed-n ... th=132_137
Tulio Adriano Muniz

Return to “General discussion”