Zalkiaent

My RasPi - 2 will not boot right

Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:57 pm

Now, before you go saying, that I didn't install the OS correctly.
I did install the OS correctly, and it would boot up just fine for a while.
But recently I found my Pi2 in a box after moving, it of course was in a plastic case.
In the beginning, it looked like it was regularly booting, until it finished. At this point, it should reveal the desktop interface.
Instead, there was just a black screen of nothing, no signal from my monitor, but the raspi was still powered on.
I am stumped.
If someone could help me out a little, that would be amazing! :D
-zalk

B.Goode

Re: My RasPi - 2 will not boot right

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Maybe the last thing you did before you last powered it off filled up the free space on the root filesystem on the SD card? That might give the symptoms you are seeing.

If the RPI boots up and runs a network connection you could ssh in over the network to check and rectify this.

Or you could use the well documented trick of modifying the SD card so that you boot into a single-user command line 'rescue' shell from which you could do the same checks.

Simply reinstalling with the current supported version of Raspbian is probably more straightforward.

(Check that the monitor is correctly connected before resorting to the above... )

Zalkiaent

Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:38 pm

Thank you for helping, I will give these method's a try! :)
-Zalk

DavidS

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:22 pm

while your Raspbian may have been good, that does not mean it stayed good.

It is always a good idea to back up your boot card from time to time (booting off a third card and using DD to copy the raw device to the other raw device).

Though for now see if you can get anything, and if at least a UI (eg shell, etc) check the free space. If it will not get that far it may be worth booting off of a different SD Card (with some RPi compatible OS on it).
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “General discussion”