PocketHarambe101

wifi on the zero without using the USB?

Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi,
I would like to know if I can add a wifi module to the pi without sacrificing my OTG port, because I want to use that to ssh to my pi from my mac. All the add-on boards use the OTG port so that it becomes useless. Any ideas to add a wifi feature to my pi zero??? Maybe an arduino wifi module???
--BACON IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER--
0={::::::::::> (((((TNT((((((~~~*

gregeric

Re: Any ideas???

Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:58 pm

A 2$ ESP8266 ESP-12E/F & a few soldered connections will do it for you. You need to add a dt-overlay to your config.txt & install the out-of-tree kernel driver. Thanks to dkms, you only have to compile & install the module once.

Performance ~40Mbps - you wouldn't easily tell it apart from your USB solution (save that it leaves the USB free). Downside - possible collision with GPIO resources from any other HATs you may have installed.

W. H. Heydt

Re: Any ideas???

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:46 pm

*All* the add on boards use the USB (OTG) port? I don't think so. Many add ons for the Pi Zero use the GPIO block.

procount

Re: wifi on the zero without using the USB?

Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:18 pm

IoT_pHAT or HubPiWi or HubPiWi blue when it is released.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

davidcoton

Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:40 pm

procount wrote:IoT_pHAT or HubPiWi or HubPiWi blue when it is released.
HubPiWi uses the existing USB port, so does not fit the requirement.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

procount

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:23 am

Ah yes. Silly me!
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

mutley

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:17 pm

PocketHarambe101 wrote:Hi,
I would like to know if I can add a wifi module to the pi without sacrificing my OTG port, because I want to use that to ssh to my pi from my mac.
Once your PI is on the network (I assume that's why you want WiFi), you can ssh to it from your mac over the network connection, so there is no need for the OTG. --But-- assuming there is another reason, when I was looking to do WiFi without using the USB port and not adding a USB hub. This seemed to be the best option (exactly what gregeric posted, just in more detail)
http://pwiatrowski.com/technology/raspb ... -internet/

gregeric

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:35 pm

mutley wrote:
PocketHarambe101 wrote:This seemed to be the best option (exactly what gregeric posted, just in more detail)
http://pwiatrowski.com/technology/raspb ... -internet/
Same device, but totally dissimilar connection & performance.

Your link describes using the ESP8266 with its AT firmware, connected by serial to the Pi.

My link describes arranging GPIO pulls for it to slave boot from SDIO interface. An ESP8089 SDIO WiFi firmware is loaded onto the module at boot by the linux kernel. The ESP8266 AT firmware isn't used. Performance 40Mbps vs 0.1Mbps over serial.

tpylkko

Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:43 pm

I would like to know if I can add a wifi module to the pi without sacrificing my OTG port, because I want to use that to ssh to my pi from my mac. All the add-on boards use the OTG port so that it becomes useless. Any ideas to add a wifi feature to my pi zero??? Maybe an arduino wifi module???
But. If you only use the OTG USB for SSH, then what about the fact that you can SSH connect via LAN/access point over wifi? The ESP8266 is a really lovely gadget though.

I just set up a project where I needed wifi over USB in order to SSH and yet needed the single USB port for something else. I did it by swapping the wifi dongle out testing the code with the USB device plugged into the sole USB port and then putting the wifi dongle back to do more adjustment. The board comes back online after maybe 10 seconds from plugging in the wifi dongle. Obviously not sometihng you would want to have to do many times (during some major debugging for example)

HawaiianPi

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:33 pm

I would like to know if I can add a wifi module to the pi without sacrificing my OTG port, because I want to use that to ssh to my pi from my mac...
What makes you think you can't SSH into your Pi with an OTG WiFi adapter? That's how I use my Pi-Zero all the time.

Unfortunately the simple feature of placing a wpa_supplicant.conf file into /boot on the SD card is still broken in the 2016-09-23 "Lite" version of Raspbian Jessie (can't believe they didn't fix that). So if you want to use Jessie-Lite you will need to mount the ext4 partition and edit the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file directly. This can be done on a Linux computer (such as a Pi running Raspbian) or with something like OSX Fuse on the Mac.

Once your Pi is booted with the proper wpa_supplicant.conf file it should connect to your wireless network, and then you can ssh into pi@raspberrypi to use your Zero.

I use a tiny OTG adapter that cost $2 for five of them, and a $4 USB WiFi module (both from sellers on Amazon).

Image Image

The first things I do after connecting to a new Pi on my network is create a new user, add that user to the same groups as the default "pi" user, add the new user to sudoers with visudo, and change the Pi computer's hostname. Then I log out and back in with the new user and hostname, and disable the "pi" user by setting a random password.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

PocketHarambe101

Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:42 am

Oh like i live in a dorm so only our school-given macbooks can connect to the wifi our phones and raspis are all blocked.
--BACON IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER--
0={::::::::::> (((((TNT((((((~~~*

aBUGSworstnightmare

Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:22 am

Why don't you simply configure the Zero to USB gadget mode? After doing this you can start internet connection sharing of your Macbooks (other computers wifi). This will not allow just SSH you can also run VNC in parallel i.e. (to see the RPis desktop on your MAC (or other computer).

viewtopic.php?p=1000628#p1000628 - will show you how I did it

HawaiianPi

Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:47 am

PocketHarambe101 wrote:Oh like i live in a dorm so only our school-given macbooks can connect to the wifi our phones and raspis are all blocked.
Umm... okay, then why do you need WiFi on your Zero (if you can't use it...)?

Anyway, USB gadget mode (suggested above) sounds like it might be the best solution.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

thegnnu

Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:59 am

Hi I have this device WiFi & Bluetooth made for a Zero GPIO pins
on a Kickstart campaign so do not know if still being sold link is
https://github.com/redbear/IoT_pHAT
TerryR

tweak42

Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:41 am

thegnnu wrote:Hi I have this device WiFi & Bluetooth made for a Zero GPIO pins
on a Kickstart campaign so do not know if still being sold link is
https://github.com/redbear/IoT_pHAT
TerryR
You can order them directly from redbear or adafruit.
https://redbear.cc/iot-phat.html
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3283

tpylkko

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:32 pm

That sure is expensive considering that esp8266 is like 2 USD and
so are many usband bt dongles...

mattmiller

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:22 pm

@gregeric
A 2$ ESP8266 ESP-12E/F & a few soldered connections will do it for you.
Do you have a link for this method please?

gregeric

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:35 pm

https://hackaday.io/project/8678/instructions

You can omit the 6x33R series termination resistors for a quick build.

mattmiller

Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:55 am

Thanks - ordered one :)

Douglas6

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:37 am

It would be interesting to know if the WiFi and Bluetooth interfere with each other on that Redbear device like they do on the Pi3.

christopherlange1110

Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:11 am

Douglas6 wrote:It would be interesting to know if the WiFi and Bluetooth interfere with each other on that Redbear device like they do on the Pi3.
No. I have one works great after you upgrade the eeprom on it.

Return to “General discussion”