Gadenn

Minecraft from VNC

Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:59 pm

have a Pi 3 B, I am trying to run minecraft on it through something remote. I tried the realvnc beta which is supposed to do this but I just get a black screen when I remote in. Has anyone successfully done this?

sconemad

Re: Minecraft from VNC

Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi Gadenn,

Yes this should work, although Minecraft will only work when run on the console desktop (i.e. not in a virtual desktop), so you need to make sure you have X11 running and the VNC Service mode server running.

Are you using the version from https://github.com/RealVNC/raspi-preview - if so, you might want to update your Pi to the latest "PIXEL" desktop, since it includes an updated version of RealVNC Server and Viewer, and an option in the Raspberry Pi configuration app to enable/disable it.

hanzelpeter

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:12 pm

Hello.

I have also tried it via RealVNC from latest Pixel environment and also set it to service and cannot get it work. (only black window)
So if someone knows what to set, please comment.

sconemad

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi,

For the version included with the Pixel update, you will need to enable experimental direct capture, which can be found on the troubleshooting page of the options dialog. This allows it to capture directly rendered apps such as Minecraft.

Gadenn

Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:18 pm

I got it run through VNC but I can't click on any of the buttons, options, muliplayer etc. It also looks like it's running REALLY slow. The animations on the menu screen are more than a slide show. That said, they pi itself is responsive while the game is running, I can open the web browser etc.

Any idea's?

Gadenn

Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:21 pm

Also the glxgears animation runs through the new realvnc but the colors look odd, flashing etc and only getting about 30fps.

Gadenn

Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:33 am

I think I know what the problem is. the GL drivers are not loading. I don't have an HDMI cable. One is in the mail on it's way but I have just been using VNC to load and configure the pi. Every time I tell it to use the GL drivers it always failed to boot up again. black screen, np putty response etc.

I kept having to go fix the config file to get it to boot and I thought I got GL working the last time but looks like no. Is it possible opengl is failing because it's not connected to a monitor?

sconemad

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:55 am

Hi Gadenn,

If you are running the preview version of RealVNC Server, then there are a few things you need to do in your viewer to get the best performance, see this section here:
https://github.com/RealVNC/raspi-previe ... spberry-pi

As I said above, I would recommend installing the version which comes with the new Pixel update, since this includes more improvements, and you don't need to do anything with the viewer to make this work.

By GL drivers, do you mean you have enabled the experimental GL drivers in raspi-config? If so, I don't think the new direct capture mode in VNC Server will work with these enabled, and I don't think Minecraft will either.

Mark1953

Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi Gadenn,

What did you do to get Minecraft running over VNC? I'm running the latest PIXEL desktop with RealVNC's viewer on my Mac. When I start MINECRAFT all I get is a Black screen.

I've had to edit the config.txt to force it to set the screen size (hdmi_group=2; hdmi_mode=16) but I don't see why that should have any effect on Minecraft. I've also increased GPU memory to 128 but that doesn't seem to make any difference either. Any suggestions?

Mark

sconemad

Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:06 pm

Hi Mark,

For Minecraft, you will need to enable experimental direct capture mode, which is on the troubleshooting page of the vnc options dialog.

Mark1953

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi Sconemad,

I tried to find the "experimental direct capture mode" in the vnc options dialogue but I couldn't find it). I'm either blind or stupid take your pick.

However, RealVNC helped me and what I did was:

Edit the config file '/root/.vnc/config.d/vncserver-x11'
adding the following:

CaptureTech=raspi
ExperimentalRaspiCapture=1
ServerPreferredEncoding=JPEG

and then restarted VNC by:

sudo systemctl restart vncserver-x11-serviced

This worked fine and I can now see minecraft.

Also I started the VNC viewer on my iPhone and that works as well.

Now I'm a happy bunny.

Mark

Return to “General discussion”