nick_sadjoli

Opinion on Using Pi 3 with APM 2.6 on Quadcopter

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:45 pm

So I am planning to use the Pi 3 on a quadcopter in conjunction with the APM 2.6 flight controller. Specifically, the Pi 3 would be mounted with the Pi Camera to detect QR codes (via OpenCV) to then send signals to the APM to correct the steering of the quadcopter to arrive at said QR code location. Meanwhile at the same time, my laptop would be connecting to the Pi 3 via a wi-fi connection (Pi 3 becomes access point) to monitor the progress of the Quadcopter.

What do you guys think about this plan? Does it sound feasible and has anybody tried this before? Any constructive criticism or alternate methods are really welcomed! :)

ewaller

Re: Opinion on Using Pi 3 with APM 2.6 on Quadcopter

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:01 pm

I don't know anything about the flight controller. My only comment on the RasPi 3 is that it has a substantial appetite for power what with all its cores and RAM. You will certainly want to shut down the GPU. Are you going to be using the wifi and bluetooth? if not, you will want to shut down those transmitters too.

Can you get by with a RasPi 0? Lower cost. Lower price. Lower weight. Lower power. All make sense for an airborne application.

nick_sadjoli

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:25 pm

ewaller wrote:I don't know anything about the flight controller. My only comment on the RasPi 3 is that it has a substantial appetite for power what with all its cores and RAM. You will certainly want to shut down the GPU. Are you going to be using the wifi and bluetooth? if not, you will want to shut down those transmitters too.

Can you get by with a RasPi 0? Lower cost. Lower price. Lower weight. Lower power. All make sense for an airborne application.
Hmm actually I think I still do need the wi-fi. I am planning on using vnc/ssh to connect to the Pi3 to get the feed to pass through to the laptop, and this is the only way I can think of right now. Except of course, if there any better solutions to do this, I would really consider them. hehe

nick_sadjoli

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:45 pm

BTW, thanks for the source @Pithagoros! Forgot there was MagPi haha. Quite useful stuff! Altho there are still questions that I would like to ask, this is still great! Thanks again :)

Return to “General discussion”