DNPNWO

Has any user of 'PIXEL' actually read the license agreement?

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:49 pm

You cannot use the desktop images if you are a commercial entity (because if you are selling/including Raspbian PIXEL in, or with your Pi product, you violate the PIXEL licensing terms).

You cannot redistribute them period, for any reason, commercial or not. You ( the end user) do not own them, you cannot do with them as you please or even share them (e.g, 'redistribution'), and (you the end user) cannot even use them yourself on your system/Pi/hardware after 10 years, (at which time you are no longer covered under the use license, and you must remove them if they are installed).

If you violate the use/licensing terms, you can be sued for significant damages. You indemnify the rights holder/owner/representative agent/authorized third party against any and all claims (in otherwords, if you get sued for unauthorized use of the images, you cannot counter-sue for monetary loss, attorney's fees, defamation, etc).

Source: /usr/share/pixel-wallpaper

license.txt
The photographer grants the Licensee the non-exclusive, non-transferable and non-
assignable use of all images named above for 10 years, for the purpose of use as the
default wallpaper included within the Raspbian operating system, distributed by the
Raspberry Pi Foundation. The licence is “digital only” and for medium resolution
(long edge at 1920px), images shall not be used in any other form (such as in print
publications) nor for any commercial activities. However, use of the images to promote
the operating system and the activities of the Foundation (such as on social media, on
blogs and printed at trade shows) is acceptable.

Provisions:
The photographer retains all copyrights attached to the images as well as any other
rights which may not be detailed in this agreement.

Selling and/or redistribution of the images is forbidden.

Licensee is allowed to crop and/or electronically alter images to suit their purposes
for the usage stated above.

Indemnity:
The Licensee indemnifies and holds harmless Greg Annandale against all claims,
liability, damages, costs and expenses stemming from a breach of this agreement,
the use of the images, your failure to abide by any restriction regarding the use
of an image, or any claim by a third party related to the use of the images.
Last edited by DNPNWO on Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 11 times in total.

kusti8

Re: Has any user of 'PIXEL' actually read the license agreem

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:58 pm

So? That photographer worked hard on making those pictures and have struck a deal with the Raspberry Pi Foundation to show it without a watermark or anything else. Photographers don't work for free and I assume this is similar to any other license for photos. Have you read the GPL license that covers most of the Linux code?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

PocketHarambe101

Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:15 pm

The photographer was one of the people working for RPI so I thought the photos were open sourec
--BACON IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER--
0={::::::::::> (((((TNT((((((~~~*

bensimmo

Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:31 pm

Does that exclude them from the MagPi unless they agree their own publication rights.
Also screenshots in other magazines ?
We’re very fortunate in that Greg Annandale, one of the Foundation’s developers, is also a very talented (and very well-travelled) photographer, and he has kindly allowed us to use some of his work as desktop pictures for PIXEL. There are 16 images to choose from; you can find them in /usr/share/pixel-wallpaper/, and you can use the Appearance Settings application to choose which one you prefer. Do have a look through them, as Greg’s work is well worth seeing! If you’re curious, the EXIF data in each image will tell you where it was taken.
just to add the photographer. :-)
http://gregannandale.com/ ?

DNPNWO

Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:31 pm

PocketHarambe101 wrote:The photographer was one of the people working for RPI so I thought the photos were open sourec
Nope.

DNPNWO

Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:43 pm

bensimmo wrote:Does that exclude them from the MagPi unless they agree their own publication rights.
Seems to be acceptable under license as far as I can tell.
...use of the images to promote the operating system and the activities of the Foundation... is acceptable.

il_diavolo

Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:18 pm

Just delete them. I selected the license.txt file in lieu of one of the photos, now I get a nice blank background. When I get round to it I'll put my own image in its place.

DNPNWO

Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:28 pm

il_diavolo wrote:Just delete them. I selected the license.txt file in lieu of one of the photos, now I get a nice blank background. When I get round to it I'll put my own image in its place.

FYI there are default backgrounds/wallpapers here:
/usr/share/wallpapers/

and here:
/usr/share/images/desktop-base

TrapdoorSmoke

Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:31 pm

The pictures are ugly any way.
They should bring back the last Pi wallpaper (not the really old one.)
If people complain enough I'm sure they would bring back the old one :D

scruss

Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:21 am

I'm not a lawyer either, but redistribution of these for the limited purpose of use as the
default wallpaper included within the Raspbian operating system
is fine.

When you sell a Raspberry Pi-based system, you're not selling the software — you can charge for the supply, setup and support, but you're not altering the rights to use the software in the distribution in any way. There are other bits of software supplied by the Raspberry Pi Foundation that have much more restrictive licenses than these pictures: see Mathematica and RealVNC for more details.

My only gripes about many of the pictures is that, being landscapes, the upper parts tend to be very light. This isn't good for text contrast on icons. The aurora one has a nice dark background, though.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

ghans

Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:44 am

Official foundation images contain a lot of non-free software. Note that the GPLv2 itself defines
something called "commercial redistribution". If you make a single cent based with the indirect help
of GPLv2-based software on your device/card , you will have to re-host the source code yourself ,
regardless if it is available for the general public from the same place you got it from.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

bensimmo

Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:49 am

DNPNWO wrote:
bensimmo wrote:Does that exclude them from the MagPi unless they agree their own publication rights.
Seems to be acceptable under license as far as I can tell.
...use of the images to promote the operating system and the activities of the Foundation... is acceptable.
But that's not the full wording and in context of the missing bits, it is digital only.
MagPi is not a printed sheet at a trade show. That license does not give them permission from the photographer to print them in a paid for publication, online PDF versions, yes, but not the physical print publication.
Of course it's easy for them to ask the photographer.

I personally think they are fine for adult picture wow factor, but they are not for me. Too cluttered for a background.
And the kids (mine) and the school have asked me to switch it back to the raspberry. They like it and can see the branding.
Odd how the old backgrounds are not in the default selection. We have a blank screen now.
Personally it's a bad move, though does give the photographer wide publicity. Less so the iconic RasperryPI foundation logo.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:17 am

I think the intent behind the licensing verbiage is to protect the photographer's long-term interests in ownership of his work. I can't see any harm in that and I can't see him or RPi suing anyone who distributes Raspbian - that would be utterly ludicrous.

I think the photos are fantastic, but it's your desktop and you may prefer something else. It's trivially easy to change.

If you want the raspberry pi logo back it's trivially easy. I blogged about this yesterday.

The Pi logo is here...

Code: Select all

/usr/share/raspberrypi-artwork/raspberry-pi-logo-small.png
and you can easily reinstate it as background. It's explained how with pretty pictures in the blog. I also used a screenshot including one of the background pics in my blog article thumbnail. I'm NOT expecting a call from the photographer's lawyers about it. Common-sense prevails. :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

bensimmo

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:05 am

alexeames wrote:I think the intent behind the licensing verbiage is to protect the photographer's long-term interests in ownership of his work. I can't see any harm in that and I can't see him or RPi suing anyone who distributes Raspbian - that would be utterly ludicrous.

I think the photos are fantastic, but it's your desktop and you may prefer something else. It's trivially easy to change.

If you want the raspberry pi logo back it's trivially easy. I blogged about this yesterday.

The Pi logo is here...

Code: Select all

/usr/share/raspberrypi-artwork/raspberry-pi-logo-small.png
and you can easily reinstate it as background. It's explained how with pretty pictures in the blog. I also used a screenshot including one of the background pics in my blog article thumbnail. I'm NOT expecting a call from the photographer's lawyers about it. Common-sense prevails. :lol:
I have nothing against them, I just don't personally see the point and none of the children or school like them.
My complaint was why the standard brand logos are not in the same folder for easy selection rather than have to search around for them.
I do have the laser one on a desktop and it looks nice with a semi transparent taskbar in a font and bar colour change. I do have border problems of white on white though. Need to screen grab that as it a visual useability problem.

ejolson

Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:17 pm

bensimmo wrote:I have nothing against them, I just don't personally see the point and none of the children or school like them.
I also like the original Raspberry Pi background better. If I want photographs, I've got plenty on my phone that work just fine as backgrounds.

What about the new icons in /usr/share/icons/PiX? Are they also provided with a restrictive license?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:42 am

S'Funny post title.

If you substitute the word PIXEL for almost any other piece of software ever written, it's still a valid question.

Has any user of "Windows" actually read the licence agreement?
Has any user of "Ubuntu" actually read the licence agreement?
Has any user of "iTunes" actually read the licence agreement?
Has any user of "Visual Studio" actually read the licence agreement?
Has any user of "<insert random software name here>" actually read the licence agreement?

I've been using commercial and OSS software for many many years, and I have never read a licence agreement all the way through. I installed WINE on Ubuntu yesterday - that popped up a Licence agreement. I just pressed OK.

In fact, the only people qualified to read these licence agreements are lawyers, because they are the only people with the knowledge to really understand what they mean.

As to the specifics of Pixel, just change the wallpaper. If that's the worst you can come up with, well, you need to get out more.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:52 am

jamesh wrote: In fact, the only people qualified to read these licence agreements are lawyers, because they are the only people with the knowledge to really understand what they mean.
And there's the rub, the lawyers won't have enough understanding of the software being licenced to do anything constructive or destructive with all those pages of words telling us what we can and can't do. The software techies and end-users can't be bothered to read all the verbiage so they click through.

The only answer is to always include a clause (about half way through the verbal diarrhoea) that says "Users of this software permit the owner to steal all of their valuables, evict them from their houses and take residence.". It's going to be a fun day in court when someone tries to challenge that one after they've just clicked through your licence.

The was one licence I saw that said, "Use this software and it will destroy your system, don't blame me when it does that." with the normal click through.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

scotty101

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:53 am

jamesh wrote: In fact, the only people qualified to read these licence agreements are lawyers, because they are the only people with the knowledge to really understand what they mean. who make money from them
Fixed that for you :D
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

jamesh

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:27 am

scotty101 wrote:
jamesh wrote: In fact, the only people qualified to read these licence agreements are lawyers, because they are the only people with the knowledge to really understand what they mean. who make money from them
Fixed that for you :D
Fair point.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Sean.fr

RealVNC more of a problem

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:01 pm

The pictures you can de-install.
The other apps, you can remove.
The RealVNC you can not really uninstall it. Before RealVNC, most people who ran headless used XRDP and Remmina which was compatible with Windows remote desktop and open VNC clients like tinyvnc. Even if you de-install RealVNC, XRDP no-longer works.

RealVNC forces you to use their client + the calling PC needs to be 64bit. The windows RealVNC for x*86 32bit, does not talk to the Pi RealVNC server. Pixel allows you turn off the WiFi, and it allows you to install / deinstall apps which is not enough to live with the loss of key functionality.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:34 pm

Sean.fr wrote:The pictures you can de-install.
The RealVNC you can not really uninstall it. Before RealVNC, most people who ran headless used XRDP and Remmina which was compatible with Windows remote desktop and open VNC clients like tinyvnc. Even if you de-install RealVNC, XRDP no-longer works.

RealVNC forces you to use their client + the calling PC needs to be 64bit. The windows RealVNC for x*86 32bit, does not talk to the Pi RealVNC server. Pixel allows you turn off the WiFi, and it allows you to install / deinstall apps which is not enough to live with the loss of key functionality.
Realvnc is uninstallable, just like any other packages, where do you get this fud from ??

Why did yo change the focus of this thread ??
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

sconemad

Re: RealVNC more of a problem

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:42 pm

Sean.fr wrote:The pictures you can de-install.
You can certainly uninstall RealVNC Server - it's just a package like any other (realvnc-vnc-server).
It is possible to use XRDP with RealVNC Server, it's just that the XRDP's default "sesman-Xvnc" module has issues with starting our version of Xvnc. You can configure it to connect to the console session, or an already running virtual mode session - see the following thread: viewtopic.php?p=1054659#p1054659.

Alternatively, you can install another VNC Server, such as the vnc4server package.
Sean.fr wrote:The windows RealVNC for x*86 32bit, does not talk to the Pi RealVNC server.
This is the first I've heard of this issue. Can you give more details please?

broe23

Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:27 am

PocketHarambe101 wrote:The photographer was one of the people working for RPI so I thought the photos were open source
Photos are protected by Creative Commons and Copyrights. They are not covered by GNU or Open Source licensing. Only the software is covered by GNU, Open Source or Copyright licensing.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

johnb_summers

Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:10 am

well it has put me off the raspberry pi, in fact that single bit of paper has changed my future.
MyPi Developer
http://mypiworld.com/
http://mypi.tech/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2nyRgg-SY&nohtml5=False

Heater

Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:16 am

johnb_summers,
well it has put me off the raspberry pi, in fact that single bit of paper has changed my future.
That is a rather extreme reaction.

Why are singling the Pi out for that? Everything you touch in the computer world is weighed down with copyright restrictions, patents etc.

Or, when you say "changed my future" did you mean that you have resolved to not use anything with such restrictions. That is to say not have anything to do with computers anymore?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “General discussion”