dingo-iot.io

Pi Zero with 0 or 3 USB ports?

Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:53 am

Hi,
As you may know our current DINGO Pi Zero Computer Board does not have any external USB ports. This is due to the fact, the Raspberry Pi Zero module has only one USB port available that we had to feed down to the DINGO Base Board.
So for example to connect a keyboard and mouse to a Pi Zero based DINGO Backbone, you have to add the USB breakout plugin to the Base Board. This is extra cost and needs special tooling for the box if needed.

Now we are evaluating if we should change this design such that we add a USB hub on the Pi Zero Computer Board and 2 or 3 external USB connectors. This change will make the Pi Zero Computer Board $2 – $4 more expensive.
With 3 such ports you could for example plug a keyboard, mouse and a Wi-Fi dongle.

We would like to hear if this is worth it. Tell us about your use cases or ideas, why such external USB ports might be of value for you on the DINGO Pi Zero.
Best Regards,
DINGO-IoT Team
http://dingo-iot.io

W. H. Heydt

Re: Pi Zero with 0 or 3 USB ports?

Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:30 pm

So...you're trying to decide if you should make a Pi Zero based Pi B or B+?

dingo-iot.io

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi W.H. Heydt,
As far as I know there is only one Pi Zero.
I'm talking about our Pi-Zero variant ....but not the Pi-COM variant, where we have external USBs already.
Are you mixing those two?

Please read my previous message more carefully and check the linked text-items.
Best Regards,
DINGO-IoT Team

JRV

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:13 pm

A quote from their web page:
Our price list is not ready at this time. However we will surprise you. You will be able to box a DINGO IoT BACKBONE with a plenty of power (hardware & software) for few hundred bucks.
Wow they will sell me a B+ for a few hundred bucks.

dingo-iot.io

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:32 pm

JRV,
Ha ha, that was a good one. A DINGO BACKBONE is much more than a B+. You can compare that to purchasing a car. If you just purchase the engine(B+) or the whole car (DINGO BACKBONE).
But if you only need an engine, you of course get you a B+ :P

Feel free to read about the BACKBONE here...

In fact we are lunching products in the $X00 range that are currently in the $X000 range by the big players in the sensor/control industry.
We even give a way free of charge full blown BACnet, that normally a lot is charged a lot for.
Best Regards,
DINGO-IoT Team

W. H. Heydt

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:27 pm

dingo-iot.io wrote:Hi W.H. Heydt,
As far as I know there is only one Pi Zero.
I'm talking about our Pi-Zero variant ....but not the Pi-COM variant, where we have external USBs already.
Are you mixing those two?

Please read my previous message more carefully and check the linked text-items.
You are making a board that a Pi Zero can be attached to. The Pi Zero, Model B and Model B+ (and the A and A+) share the same SoC. By adding USB ports and an Ethernet port, you are making the Pi Zero look like a Model B (2 USB ports) or a B+ (4 USB ports). The only things I see you adding that those boards don't come with is an RTC--which can be added for less that $3--and WiFi, which can be added for less than $10. So you are creating a greater than $100 board that is, basically, the sum of a B+ ($25), RTC ($3) and WiFi ($10) or about $38. Why would I pay your price for what I can put together for no more than one third as much? What is more, I can add an RTC to a Pi3B and still be at $38 and have nearly 10 times the processing power.

This is not to say that you won't have a market. It's just to say that I don't see enough "value add" to justify buying what you are planning to sell. It would make far more sense to make a much less expensive carrier board and design your board around the CM, with provision to upgrade to the CM3, when that comes out. With the right features, that *might* be a product I would be interested in, though not at the sort of prices you're talking about.

dingo-iot.io

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi W. H. Heydt,
You are falling into the same misunderstanding as JRV.
Please read my reply above to JRV. We are NOT selling this board for $100 or more.
If there was not a market, we would not have hundreds of pre-orders for D. BACKBONES already, just few days after we lunched the web page.

But please stick to my question regarding what would you use USB ports on a DINGO BACKBONE Pi Zero (full box) if adding external USB ports.
We don't need any marketing advice. :lol ;)
Best Regards,
DINGO-IoT Team

jgreen71

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:26 pm

I want to know how you're getting past the 1-per-customer limit.

Yes, add as many USB connectors as you can. You can never have too many.

BMS Doug

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:28 pm

dingo-iot.io wrote:Hi W. H. Heydt,
Please read my reply above to JRV. We are NOT selling this board for $100 or more.
If there was not a market, we would not have hundreds of pre-orders for D. BACKBONES already, just few days after we lunched the web page.

But please stick to my question regarding what would you use USB ports on a DINGO BACKBONE Pi Zero (full box) if adding external USB ports.

I think that the gist of most of the replies so far is that we aren't don't see any reason to use your board so have no preference in what you attach to it. But more USB is better than less.

Your price point removes it from my interest.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:05 pm

dingo-iot.io wrote:Hi W. H. Heydt,

To directly answer your question....when I use a Pi Zero the single USB port it has suffices. If I want more USB ports, I don't use a Pi Zero.

DavidS

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:28 pm

So a RPi Zero with a $0.50 plastic (production cost) casing, a $20 LCD, and about $15 worth of misc stuff for over $100, sounds like a good deal (for the producer, not the customer).
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

fdr4prez

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:06 pm

DavidS wrote:So a RPi Zero with a $0.50 plastic (production cost) casing, a $20 LCD, and about $15 worth of misc stuff for over $100, sounds like a good deal (for the producer, not the customer).
This is the main trouble I have with watching Shark Tank - they always tell the manufacturing costs, so you see the markup that people are paying. The worst I've seen lately is production cost of about $16 and the selling price was $100.

dingo-iot.io

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:42 pm

Hi again,
Strange when trying to discuss A, a discussion starts about B where B does not even exist. :)

But anyway as there exist in the market, such a lot of those cheap under 100 bucks backbone industrial grade computerized controllers with configurable BACnet stack, BACnet/WS, MQTT, support for working N-PLC, sub-1GHz sensor communication, G2/G3 module, M-Bus module, opto-isolated IOs, 1-Wire and RS485 connector etc, please send me links to some of those. We are really interested.

Those who answered the original question, best thanks. We got more answers at other more IIoT related forums.
As a result of those we probably put 3 external USB connectors on the Pi Zero variant of the Computer Board.
Best Regards,
DINGO-IoT Team

JoeTexasPi

Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:05 pm

Hi,
We plan to use the DINGO Pi Zero edition as PINGO slaves (Narrow Band Power Line Communication) to bridge to unreachable Wi-Fi islands of BACnet devices, in cellars of old buildings. So such a DINGO Pi will work as a kind of Gateway to the main network far above, using the building power lines for data transmission. That gateway will also be used as a user terminal in the cellar. So I need:
- One USB for Keyboard.
- One USB for Mouse
- One USB for Wi-Fi dongle.
Three USBs needed.

Just a final word about the pricing discussion above. It's a little bit funny as the DINGO products now enable us to do things for amounts that are ten to thirty times less expensive than before. For our small company that simply means more sensors, more actuators....more business.
In addition the use of PINGO in the case above simply enables us to do installations that would not have been possible without "horrible" wiring costs.

Return to “General discussion”