Gerd

Re: My Pi gets HOT

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:25 am

paqman wrote: So a little update. First off, with the screen brightness dimmed, I originally reported that the Temps went down to 73C. I was wrong. After it was on all day today, it was back up to 80C.
Bad news. You need better convection.
paqman wrote: But, back to your other question, I killed Firefox, and my python buttons script, and the temps almost immediately shot down and are sitting pretty at 60C. CPU is running at 3% right now. It seems that my buttons script causes most of it, but Firefox is also using almost the same amount of cpu. They are both using about 100% of a core each.

So it is definitely the my processes heating the pi up and not the monitor as much.
Also bad news, but these are fixable, imho:
1) Firefox / Iceweasel: Thy high load of Iceweasel is an error in Iceweasel when displaying animations. Try annother browser like Chromium or *cough* Epiphany
2) Your python script does button detection in a polling loop. You would do way better in terms of cpu usage when using interrupts to detect the buttons. See e.g. http://raspi.tv/2013/how-to-use-interru ... d-rpi-gpio for an introduction. I am sure people in the python subforum can help you with this.

So I suggest to do software cleanup first, before digging further into hardware.

paqman

Re: My Pi gets HOT

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:24 pm

Gerd wrote:
paqman wrote: So a little update. First off, with the screen brightness dimmed, I originally reported that the Temps went down to 73C. I was wrong. After it was on all day today, it was back up to 80C.
Bad news. You need better convection.
paqman wrote: But, back to your other question, I killed Firefox, and my python buttons script, and the temps almost immediately shot down and are sitting pretty at 60C. CPU is running at 3% right now. It seems that my buttons script causes most of it, but Firefox is also using almost the same amount of cpu. They are both using about 100% of a core each.

So it is definitely the my processes heating the pi up and not the monitor as much.
Also bad news, but these are fixable, imho:
1) Firefox / Iceweasel: Thy high load of Iceweasel is an error in Iceweasel when displaying animations. Try annother browser like Chromium or *cough* Epiphany
2) Your python script does button detection in a polling loop. You would do way better in terms of cpu usage when using interrupts to detect the buttons. See e.g. http://raspi.tv/2013/how-to-use-interru ... d-rpi-gpio for an introduction. I am sure people in the python subforum can help you with this.

So I suggest to do software cleanup first, before digging further into hardware.
I agree. I'm gong to look into thinning out my software and lower the load on my cpu. Also, currently at night all I'm doing is having the screen turn off. I'm going to kill all processes at night to give the cpu a rest, hopefully extend its life. Thanks for the help.

Return to “General discussion”