ElEscalador

Android and iOS Apps with a GUI button to run executable?

Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:08 pm

I've been digging around and have found and used some cool SSH clients, which is fine for me but I'd like something simpler for other users (girlfriend...kids, etc) to be able to just a program via wifi without having to look at a command line. Let's say a simple program that pulses a pin to open/close the garage... Is there an app for each OS that I can set up and all they do is launch the app, and it handshakes in automatically and they just press a button on their App's GUI? Bonus points if I can set up several buttons on their Apps for different functions..but one is a start. Again...simple is key. They are not going to use it if they have to type. Let's pretend they are consumers.
My Autonomous Robot Project and a few of my other projects below.

https://lloydbrombach.wordpress.com/

CarlRJ

Re: Android and iOS Apps with a GUI button to run executable

Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:15 pm

I don't know of any specific apps like this (I vaguely seem to recall having seen something for iOS in the past, but I don't remember any details), but as a quick first pass, you could set up a webserver on the Pi, with CGI scripts (or similar) to trigger whatever hardware functions you wanted. Then they could just go to the Pi's website (on your local WiFi network), to push any button, or buttons, that you set up. As a bonus, on iOS at least, in Safari you can select "Share menu -> Add to Home Screen" to give them something that looks like an app to run. Perhaps Android can do similar. The webpage on the Pi would also be controllable from any PC's/Macs in the house. And, likely, any app you do find for remote access will expect, or at least be compatible with, sending URLs via http (or https), so you'll have already laid the groundwork for that. Plus, with all the smarts in the webserver, you can tinker with it, updating at will, without them having to re-download new apps. It's a start, anyway.

broe23

Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:48 pm

Yes you can create a touch interface using the video touch device that is for sale. Just have to code your own GUI for what you want the user to do.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

ElEscalador

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:48 am

CarlRJ wrote:.... but as a quick first pass, you could set up a webserver on the Pi, with CGI scripts (or similar) to trigger whatever hardware functions you wanted. Then they could just go to the Pi's website (on your local WiFi network), to push any button, or buttons, that you set up....
Awesome - I hadn't even considered that or tried the webserver. It'll be a bit of a ;earning curve but Like you said - a start anyway.
broe23 wrote:Yes you can create a touch interface using the video touch device that is for sale. Just have to code your own GUI for what you want the user to do.
I'm not sure I follow...Is this a physical touchscreen? I'm looking for a GUI on their phones that they can wirelessly interact with the pi. Or at least run a program.

ghans

Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:29 am

I could swear there are Android SSH clients which allow
widgets to execute a single command remotely.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

ElEscalador

Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:10 am

Found exactly what I wanted: Android app called Hot Button - you choose how many buttons are on your screen and configure each one with an IP and login info, and a command to execute. It also sticks around for a reply if there is one. Tried it on one PI so far...worked a lot faster than using a standard SSH client app and typing all small.

Graymalk

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:59 pm

Just FYI there are iOS apps as well and they all operate the same way as far as I know: you create an account on their server, run the app on both handheld and Pi, and they communicate via their server. I don't know of any that allow direct communication but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible (just harder for the beginner to set up, and might not make it through Apple's rules but I'm not sure). So as long as you're ok with someone else seeing your data then there are a few apps out there.

ElEscalador

Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:18 pm

heartbismane wrote:You can search in IFTTT recipes too. If they are integrated with SSH, it can solve your problem too.
Never heard of it....It's...interesting. Maybe far more than I'm looking for...or trust.

Return to “General discussion”