MarkDH102

Fix a corrupt SD in another Pi?

Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:56 pm

I did a dist-upgrade this morning to get the new Pixel and my Pi (3) no longer boots.
I've looked at the SD in windows and all seems fine.
I've now plugged it into my one of my other Pi's (2) via a card reader and I can see it's full contents.
I'm currently backing up, but is there a way of checking/fixing this card in my Pi 2?
I did plug the working SD card from my Pi2 into the Pi 3 and worryingly it did not boot either, but I guess a Pi3 won't boot with a Pi 2 image? Or is my Pi3 toast and if so why - from a software upgrade!? There were no extra devices plugged into my Pi3.

davidcoton

Re: Fix a corrupt SD in another Pi?

Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:55 pm

In principal any recent Jessie image should boot on any model Pi. If the card from your Pi2 is too old, it won't work in the Pi3. Try doing a normal update/upgrade in the Pi2, before using it in the Pi3. I believe a fully updated Wheezy image will also work, but there may be more to do. There were posts about it, it didn't affect me so I can't remember. Does the card from the Pi3 work in the Pi2?
Signature retired

MarkDH102

Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:02 pm

Ok, thanks for that.
It gets odder by the minute.
I plugged in a HDMI TV to see if any messages were coming out.
Nothing, and the TV said unsupported signal.
BUT - it booted!
Unplugged TV, wouldn't boot.
Plugged in (TV was even off) and it booted.

I've just removed "splash" from the /boot/cmdline.txt
And it now boots without being connected to the TV.
???
I have overridden hdmi_mode and hdmi_group for my xserver. Maybe that has something to do with it?

davidcoton

Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Looks like an unintended consequence of enabling splash. HDMI resolution detection only works if the screen is connected and powered before boot, which could cause headless systems to fail to boot. AIUI previously setting HDMI mode overcame that and allowed headless boot. Perhaps that has been broken?
Signature retired

ejolson

Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:03 pm

davidcoton wrote:Perhaps that has been broken?
While open source constantly suffers from changes made by people who optimize for one specific use case without considering the wide variety of actual uses, it benefits from a community of users who notice the breakage.

When the LibreSSL developers broke handing of certificate expiry dates on 32-bit Linux, the response to the breakage report was essentially that 32-bit Linux is not supported. Let's hope operation without monitors and keyboards remains supported with mainstream Raspbian.

arrmo

Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:12 pm

Exactly the same thing here ... HDMI connected -> boot. But if not ... boot hangs ... :cry: .

Is there a way to disable splash / the boot check?

Thanks!

davidcoton

Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:24 pm

arrmo wrote: Is there a way to disable splash / the boot check?
MarkDH102 wrote:I've just removed "splash" from the /boot/cmdline.txt
And it now boots without being connected to the TV.
Signature retired

arrmo

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:03 pm

Missed that ... :oops:

Thanks - that works!

Return to “General discussion”