Page 1 of 2

Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd?

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:32 pm
by DNPNWO
1. It comes with Flash built in (v11?), which some may not be happy about as many consider flash a security vulnerability (and v11 flash is from like 2011/2012, and likely rife with security vulnerabilities), but in any event, it does not seem to be functional and appears broken (Pandora Internet radio http://www.pandora.com and Google Music https://play.google.com/music, for example, all return flash errors).

2. The rpi-youtube plugin is broken, and nonfunctional (overwritten config files?)

3. Widevine content decryption module (for HTML/HTML5 video/audio web content) plugin is missing

4. Apparently, browser logins are not working either.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=161275

New Pixel/Chromium browser and OpenGL driver incompatibility:
viewtopic.php?p=1045063#p1045063
jamesh wrote:If you are using the experimental graphic driver, turn it off , they are incompatible at the moment.

Some are suggesting that you download and use the h264ify extension, but there are many reports that it is just about useless as well, and does next to nothing for Youtube full screen HD playback:
viewtopic.php?p=1044172#
Karrika wrote: I had h264ify installed and enabled in Chromium extensions. Activating GL for the desktop throws "Aw, Snap! Something went wrong" message for every youtube video. Taking GL away returned correct operations.
Actually I see no improvement in youtube videos. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.
Edwinj85 wrote: I am not seeing any improvement with youtube videos - I have the same performance as chromium without h264ify installed. The H264ify icon stays grey on youtube and doesn't appear to be active :(
This h264 video sample appears to work OK http://www.html5videoplayer.net/videos/toystory.mp4 with 25% cpu use and minor screen tear, but full screen drags to a halt.
kusti8 wrote: It's subtle, but it keeps the temp from going too high and the frame rates are a bit better. Also means that it can sort of run on a Pi0 and Pi1 and run pretty good on a Pi2.


I have resorted to reinstalling v50 Chromium browser (option for v21 flash or without), with instructions found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2X5T2 ... VmNmM/view

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:32 pm
by DNPNWO
Anyone else able to confirm these issues with the pixel v51 chromium browser?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:41 pm
by kusti8
1. Flash is not included, but is going to be included in the next release

2. Also being worked on

3. Also being worked on, there only so much I can do and it's not high on my priority list

4. #1 priority right now and actively being worked on

Full screen at 720p works, albient a bit stuttering. Cinema mode and normal mode are very smooth. This prevents the need for any overclocking or things like that and keeps the temperature down without the need for a heatsink. Software decoding can only be worse, it heats up the processor a lot, requires some overclocking the get acceptable viewing in full screen and stresses the CPU. The CPU load is still a bit high with HW, but the temperatures are low.

I don't see any decrease in performance with HW, so why would there be a problem. If you have a bug then report it. It doesn't help to complain about these things.

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:26 pm
by fdiez
Thanks for the update kusti8, any idea when this updates will be available? I tried downloading flash from Adobe (for Linux) but I am not able to install it, has anybody installed flash on Chromium for Raspberry Pi 3 successfully? Thanks!

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:59 pm
by DNPNWO
kusti8 wrote:1. Flash is not included, but is going to be included in the next release
That is not true at all Kusti8. It installs Adobe Flash Player - Version: 11.2.999.999 and Shockwave Flash 11.2 r999. Are you trying to say that it is just my chromium-browser install from the official repo that includes adobe flash and shockwave v11? Highly unlikely. See screenshots:

removed and reinstalled chromium-browser:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge chromium-browser
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
In Chromium browser address bar, enter:

Code: Select all

chrome://plugins/
https://s21.postimg.org/3oc1gyyuv/flash.png
Image

Flash v11:
https://s17.postimg.org/icweh09cv/2016_ ... _scrot.png
Image

Version 51.0.2704.91 Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on Raspbian 8.0
https://s12.postimg.org/8mm00ec6l/2016_ ... _scrot.png
Image


Even if I upgrade it to v21, it still does not function:

Code: Select all

wget https://www.dropbox.com/s/enjmq0cjusw91w2/flash21.tar.xz?dl=0
tar -xJf flash21.tar.xz?dl=0
cd pepper
sudo cp *.so /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins
sudo cp *.json /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins
cd
sudo nano /etc/chromium-browser/customizations/01-pepper
CHROMIUM_FLAGS="${CHROMIUM_FLAGS} --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=21.0.0.182-r1 -password-store=detect -user-data-dir"
Then save file with:
"ctrl+o", then 'enter', then "ctrl+x"

https://s11.postimg.org/dkiol5rlv/flash21.png
Image

https://s11.postimg.org/446hxf5yr/2016_ ... _scrot.png
Image

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:28 pm
by kusti8
DNPNWO wrote:
kusti8 wrote:1. Flash is not included, but is going to be included in the next release
That is not true at all Kusti8. It installs Adobe Flash Player - Version: 11.2.999.999 and Shockwave Flash 11.2 r999. Are you trying to say that it is just my chromium-browser install from the official repo that includes adobe flash and shockwave v11? Highly unlikely. See screenshots:

removed and reinstalled chromium-browser:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge chromium-browser
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
In Chromium browser address bar, enter:

Code: Select all

chrome://plugins/
https://s21.postimg.org/3oc1gyyuv/flash.png
Image

Flash v11:
https://s17.postimg.org/icweh09cv/2016_ ... _scrot.png
Image

Version 51.0.2704.91 Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on Raspbian 8.0
https://s12.postimg.org/8mm00ec6l/2016_ ... _scrot.png
Image


Even if I upgrade it to v21, it still does not function:

Code: Select all

wget https://www.dropbox.com/s/enjmq0cjusw91w2/flash21.tar.xz?dl=0
tar -xJf flash21.tar.xz?dl=0
cd pepper
sudo cp *.so /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins
sudo cp *.json /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins
cd
sudo nano /etc/chromium-browser/customizations/01-pepper
CHROMIUM_FLAGS="${CHROMIUM_FLAGS} --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=21.0.0.182-r1 -password-store=detect -user-data-dir"
Then save file with:
"ctrl+o", then 'enter', then "ctrl+x"
That's not true at all. The chromium launch script adds the path to the plugin because it was going to be included and that's why it shows up, but as you can see there is no libpep*.so so it doesn't work. I was told this directly by Simon and it will be released in a future update, in about 3 weeks.

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:44 pm
by DNPNWO
kusti8 wrote:That's not true at all. The chromium launch script adds the path to the plugin because it was going to be included and that's why it shows up, but as you can see there is no libpep*.so so it doesn't work. I was told this directly by Simon and it will be released in a future update, in about 3 weeks.

So...give or take three weeks to have a 'functional' Chromium-browser, that works? I do not get get it, Why was a chromium-browser released that is broken/not working? I wonder what else in the PIXEL release is also not properly functioning.

I think I will downgrade to my 4.4.13 kernel backup image created on Sept 24th until this PIXEL/chromium-browser Charlie Foxtrot is resolved.

For those who feel the same, If you want something that 'works', and you didn't create a backup, you are not totally screwed...see: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2X5T2 ... JUanM/view

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:15 pm
by kusti8
DNPNWO wrote:
kusti8 wrote:That's not true at all. The chromium launch script adds the path to the plugin because it was going to be included and that's why it shows up, but as you can see there is no libpep*.so so it doesn't work. I was told this directly by Simon and it will be released in a future update, in about 3 weeks.

So...give or take three weeks to have a 'functional' Chromium-browser, that works? I do not get get it, Why was a chromium-browser released that is broken/not working? I wonder what else in the PIXEL release is also not properly functioning.

I think I will downgrade to my 4.4.13 kernel backup image created on Sept 24th until this PIXEL/chromium-browser Charlie Foxtrot is resolved.

For those who feel the same, If you want something that 'works', and you didn't create a backup, you are not totally screwed...see: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2X5T2 ... JUanM/view
Depends on what you mean by capable. Considering Epiphany, I think this is quite good. I view sync as the only big problem. Flash is dying anyway and Netflix was always more of an experiment.

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:22 pm
by DNPNWO
kusti8 wrote:Depends on what you mean by capable. Considering Epiphany, I think this is quite good. I view sync as the only big problem. Flash is dying anyway and Netflix was always more of an experiment.
Epiphany is crap. My backup contains Chromium-browser v50 with hardware acceleration enabled.

As for Netflix, I could care less, but I need flash/pepperflash for many things including Pandora Internet radio, and Google Play/ Google Play Music.

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:23 pm
by karrika
The Chromium browser works well as long as you don't try to watch the youtube videos in full-screen. On a Pi3 I did listen to all kind of videos for a long time and there was no stuttering in sound or video. It is definitely a great step forward.

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:24 pm
by DNPNWO
:cry:
karrika wrote:The Chromium browser works well as long as you don't try to watch the youtube videos in full-screen. On a Pi3 I did listen to all kind of videos for a long time and there was no stuttering in sound or video. It is definitely a great step forward.
Regardless, v51 Chromium browser for Pixel is crippled, and will remain that way for nearly a month.

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:31 pm
by tpylkko
When you think about it - that is, the question: Why was it released? - compare it to wikipedia in your mind. It's a project run by volunteers and everyone can help make it what they want or need. Having a real browser is good. Epiphany is bad. No one has ever given any promises that flash will work or whatever it is that you specifically want. For my purposes it works perfectly. If that is not enough for you, then the fault is yours. Try spending more energy on making it work and less on thinking that you are entitled to something.

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:10 pm
by DNPNWO
Just to update this, Pepperflash can now be installed and enabled and works in Pixel Chromium-browser: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=161496&p=1045208#p1045208

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:31 am
by mercurybreza
The pepperflash install looks like an option for now - might wait the 3 weeks though - unless that daily need for ISS live feed from space gets me longing - But it does beg to differ why did they release pixel with out the flash included -

peace

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:14 am
by DougieLawson
mercurybreza wrote:But it does beg to differ why did they release pixel with out the flash included.
Because, curiously, there are some of us who never want to run it, because HTML5 works and doesn't carry the inherent lack of system security and integrity that's always associated with Flash.

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:36 pm
by DNPNWO
DougieLawson wrote:Because, curiously, there are some of us who never want to run it, because HTML5 works and doesn't carry the inherent lack of system security and integrity that's always associated with Flash.
Yeah, well good luck with that because according to Kusti8 (and Simon), it is scheduled to be fully operational in the browser shortly.
. Flash is not included, but is going to be included in the next release

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:23 pm
by DougieLawson
DNPNWO wrote:
. Flash is not included, but is going to be included in the next release
Not on any of my Raspberries. They won't be stupid enough to build it in to the Chromium package so it'll be easy to apt-get purge and apt-mark hold its package so it never gets installed.

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:10 am
by gkreidl
Pepperflash plugin is non-free and closed source. All versions we have used so far have been "stolen" from a chrome OS release. AFAIK it is compiled for ARMv7 and no ARMV6 version is available. Adding it to the repository (or even to the chromium-browser package) would break backwards compatibility. And that's something the RPF has never done before.

So the question is: how can this be added to a future RPF chromium-browser release?

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:50 am
by DNPNWO
gkreidl wrote:Pepperflash plugin is non-free and closed source. All versions we have used so far have been "stolen" from a chrome OS release. AFAIK it is compiled for ARMv7 and no ARMV6 version is available. Adding it to the repository (or even to the chromium-browser package) would break backwards compatibility. And that's something the RPF has never done before.

So the question is: how can this be added to a future RPF chromium-browser release?
Then the bigger question becomes, why is the v11 flash framework (all it appears is missing is the libpep*.so file) already in the Pixel v51 browser?

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:05 am
by kusti8
gkreidl wrote:Pepperflash plugin is non-free and closed source. All versions we have used so far have been "stolen" from a chrome OS release. AFAIK it is compiled for ARMv7 and no ARMV6 version is available. Adding it to the repository (or even to the chromium-browser package) would break backwards compatibility. And that's something the RPF has never done before.

So the question is: how can this be added to a future RPF chromium-browser release?
If you look closely at the chromium-browser script in /usr/bin, you can see a check that enables Pepperflash if it is on the Pi 2 or Pi 3. The paperwork simply didn't come through in time.

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:55 am
by jamesh
Can I remind people not to be too confrontational. There are certainly some comments above that border on that. So keep calm and carry on.

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:13 pm
by divesh
Hello from Dev , i have two questions

1. using this link "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Rk7jB87e8" i am able to install the CHROMIUM on RASPBERRY PI 3 , but on clicking the icon CHROMIUM browser is not opening ? donot know why . please comment and support´╗┐

2. with STEP 1 , the Flash player is also become part of it . SHOCKWAVE , but even after installing the SHOCK WAVE FLASH , some application on FLASH is not working . but in windows that application is working . as per vendor of the applciation they had use the FLASH Programming .
so can you help in STEP 1 and STEP 2

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:18 pm
by gkreidl
divesh wrote:Hello from Dev , i have two questions

1. using this link "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Rk7jB87e8" i am able to install the CHROMIUM on RASPBERRY PI 3 , but on clicking the icon CHROMIUM browser is not opening ? donot know why . please comment and support´╗┐

2. with STEP 1 , the Flash player is also become part of it . SHOCKWAVE , but even after installing the SHOCK WAVE FLASH , some application on FLASH is not working . but in windows that application is working . as per vendor of the applciation they had use the FLASH Programming .
so can you help in STEP 1 and STEP 2
Don't follow outdated youtube video tutorials.
chromium-browser is now in the repository. Read the Pixel desktop announcement.
Old pepperflash installation method doesn't work any more (wrong path). Use the updated method from here: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=99202

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:41 pm
by mjflynt
That was fast! Thanks to the parties responsible! Anyway, I noticed another Chromium update in Synaptic so installed it, and now I can log in again, but it syncs... And thus, the extensions that were added are not there. Can someone tell me the extensions that are on the basic Chromium install to get the Flash and YouTube support? Also, great job on the menus! This whole Pixel desktop is beautiful. I could use this as daily driver! Thanks everybody! Nice job!

Re: Anyone notice that Pixel v51 Chromium browser is snafu'd

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:45 pm
by kusti8
mjflynt wrote:That was fast! Thanks to the parties responsible! Anyway, I noticed another Chromium update in Synaptic so installed it, and now I can log in again, but it syncs... And thus, the extensions that were added are not there. Can someone tell me the extensions that are on the basic Chromium install to get the Flash and YouTube support? Also, great job on the menus! This whole Pixel desktop is beautiful. I could use this as daily driver! Thanks everybody! Nice job!
Ublock origin and h264ify