gop

RPI 1 FCC ID

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:19 pm

Hi

Is it right that RPI 1 does not have a FCC ID? There's the FCC logo on the board, but I can't find an ID. RPI 1 doesn't seem to be listed on OET either:

If it was to be incorporated in a commercial device, how should the EMC test be undertaken if RPI1 itself isn't approved?

Any thought appreciated.

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: RPI 1 FCC ID

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:34 pm

Raspberry Pi Model B (up to v2.0) and Raspberry Pi Model A are Class A devices. Class A devices do not require FCC verification of the test results, merely verification of compliance.

Raspberry Pi Model B v2.1 is a Class B device. All subsequent models are Class B devices.

Search on the FCC website for Grantee Code 2ABCB for all FCC filings submitted by Raspberry Pi. You'll see that the complete set of listings corresponds with our Class B product set.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

Heater

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:55 pm

gop,

Didn't I just answer this question a few hours ago?
If it was to be incorporated in a commercial device, how should the EMC test be undertaken if RPI1 itself isn't approved?
I may be wrong but whatever the EMC approval status of the Pi that is nothing to do with whatever product you might incorporate it into.

You perhaps need your own certifications for your products. No matter where you get the parts from.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

gop

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:20 am

jdb wrote:Raspberry Pi Model B (up to v2.0) and Raspberry Pi Model A are Class A devices. Class A devices do not require FCC verification of the test results, merely verification of compliance.

Raspberry Pi Model B v2.1 is a Class B device. All subsequent models are Class B devices.
I see. But how come the earlier devices are Class A devices whilst the later ones are not?

Is Zero Class A as well?

Heater

Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:38 am

From: http://answers.google.com/answers/threa ... 26221.html

There are two categories that your product can fall into: Class A or Class B.
A Class A device is a product marketed for commercial or industrial
use and is not intended to to be used in a home.
A Class B device is a product marketed for residential or home use.
Class B requirements tend to be stricter than Class A requirements.

As far as I recall this all comes about because in the earlier days of The Pi it was never imagined it would sell in such huge quantities. It was considered to be a development board, a component, not a consumer product.

Clearly when it is sold in huge numbers and available in shops around the world somebody decide to reclassify the Pi as consumer product and call it class A.

Exactly what the criteria are used in such classification is a mystery to me.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

W. H. Heydt

Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:51 am

In addition, since much of the original vision appears to have been that Pis would used largely in classrooms--which might be considered an "industrial" use--Class A might have been considered appropriate.

In any case, since all the models in current production are certified under Class B, it's all water under the bridge now.

aaronb3

Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:08 am

On a related topic, if the RPi is incorporated into a device, AFAIK the device would need its own FCC certification. Are the RPi's PCB layouts, schematic, block diagrams, etc. be required to conduct EMC tests? In fact, are EMC tests even needed if the device isn't a radiator?

gop

Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:17 am

Heater wrote:From: http://answers.google.com/answers/threa ... 26221.html

As far as I recall this all comes about because in the earlier days of The Pi it was never imagined it would sell in such huge quantities. It was considered to be a development board, a component, not a consumer product.
In fact, according to https://transition.fcc.gov/bureaus/oet/ ... t62rev.pdf:
If a digital device is sold or offered for sale to any residential users (including commercial or industrial companies that could employ the equipment in a residential environment) then it is a Class B digital device regardless of its price or application.
So, the RPi should have been a Class B from the outset.

But then:
The FCC does NOT currently authorize motherboards, cases and internal power supplies. Vendor claims that they are selling "FCC-certified cases," "FCC-certified motherboards" or "FCC-certified internal power supplies" are false.
Isn't a RPi essentially a motherboard? If so, it shouldn't even have the FCC certification.

Return to “General discussion”