User avatar
CPC.co.uk
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am
Location: Preston
Contact: Website

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:39 pm

Had a few people asking in various places, so just dropping a note here that we've got our Starter and Plug 'n Play kits available now :)

Click here for details

:)
http://www.cpc.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/cpc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/cpc_tweet

User avatar
CPC.co.uk
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am
Location: Preston
Contact: Website

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Just to let you good folks know that we're all out of Pis again now :(

Still got some Starter / Plug `n Play kits to go at though if you're thinking about getting a bundle :)

Linky

Hopefully have more stock in before the end of the week!
http://www.cpc.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/cpc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/cpc_tweet

User avatar
CPC.co.uk
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am
Location: Preston
Contact: Website

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi All,

Quick update, some (limited) stock should be being booked in shortly :)

More due next week too!

:)
http://www.cpc.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/cpc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/cpc_tweet

Wheel_nut
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:49 pm

A couple of questions about the Starter Kit offered by CPC here: http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi ... dp/SC12788

1) What is the Current rating of the PSU supplied with the Powered Hub included in this Kit?

2) Since the Hub will power the RPi by back-feeding the USB Upstream port, why do you also include a 1A MicroUSB PSU? Could the Kit Price be reduced by excluding the MicroUSB PSU?

User avatar
CPC.co.uk
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am
Location: Preston
Contact: Website

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:04 pm

Wheel_nut wrote:1) What is the Current rating of the PSU supplied with the Powered Hub included in this Kit?
It's 1 amp :)
Wheel_nut wrote:2) Since the Hub will power the RPi by back-feeding the USB Upstream port, why do you also include a 1A MicroUSB PSU? Could the Kit Price be reduced by excluding the MicroUSB PSU?
The hub supplied is designed to allow the user to connect an additional peripherals to the Raspberry Pi, not power the Pi - Once the Pi is powered you've pretty much used all the power.

If you want to use a hub to power the Pi then we recommend CPC part number CS23907 (<~~ Clicky) which is a 4 port hub with a 2.5 amp power supply.

Hope that helps :)
http://www.cpc.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/cpc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/cpc_tweet

Wheel_nut
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:25 pm

Thank you for the VERY prompt reply. I would suggest that you include a PSU spec'ed like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0659201827 instead of the two PSU's in the Kit. Besides being potentially more price efficient, it avoids the bad practice of connecting the outputs of two Regulated Power Supplies which caused contention between the regulators in the PSUs.

I use the 7 Port Hub as in your Kit and a 2A PSU powering the Hub and back-feeding the RPi and it works very well.

.... just a suggestion to further improve your excellent offering.

User avatar
CPC.co.uk
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am
Location: Preston
Contact: Website

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Wheel_nut wrote:Thank you for the VERY prompt reply. I would suggest that you include a PSU spec'ed like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0659201827 instead of the two PSU's in the Kit. Besides being potentially more price efficient, it avoids the bad practice of connecting the outputs of two Regulated Power Supplies which caused contention between the regulators in the PSUs.

I use the 7 Port Hub as in your Kit and a 2A PSU powering the Hub and back-feeding the RPi and it works very well.

.... just a suggestion to further improve your excellent offering.
No problem Wheel Nut - We like to think we do our best, always good to know when it's appreciated back :)

We'll forward your suggestions on to the Product department. We do know that there is every intention of amending these kits and looking at different things we can offer to our customers over time but it's not something that gets done over night as we're sure you can imagine.

While we're on the subject, we just started to offer a Raspberry Pi in a case which is great value at £31.50 inc VAT - Seems to be going down very well for those that haven't seen it yet :)

> Click here <
http://www.cpc.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/cpc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/cpc_tweet

Wheel_nut
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:09 pm

That's an excellent offering! Now, I'm going to have to buy a fourth unit ..... :ugeek: :lol:

p.s. Thanks for the clicky in your post because I couldn't find it when I searched the portal.

User avatar
CPC.co.uk
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am
Location: Preston
Contact: Website

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Wheel_nut wrote:That's an excellent offering! Now, I'm going to have to buy a fourth unit ..... :ugeek: :lol:
:lol: - Good stuff! :)
Wheel_nut wrote:p.s. Thanks for the clicky in your post because I couldn't find it when I searched the portal.
Hmmmm - That's odd - You're of course right, it's not there - We'll get that amended now! :)

Couple of other bits people might be interested in;

WiPi (<~Clicky) - a WLAN USB module which enables the Raspberry Pi to connect to a Wi-Fi network

PiView (<~Clicky) - Converts digital HDMI input video to analogue VGA output and has been tested with the Raspberry Pi
http://www.cpc.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/cpc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/cpc_tweet

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 6352
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:48 pm

Nice, just ordered a Pi in Case & VGA thingy.

Cheers

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3670
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:49 pm

CPC.co.uk wrote: PiView (<~Clicky) - Converts digital HDMI input video to analogue VGA output and has been tested with the Raspberry Pi
I notice the description only mentions HDTV resolutions "480p/720p/1080p"

Are these really the only resolutions it supports? if so then i'd think it would be of very limited utility since most VGA only monitors are likely to be designed for traditional PC resolutions not HDTV ones.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 13360
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:28 am

plugwash wrote:
CPC.co.uk wrote: PiView (<~Clicky) - Converts digital HDMI input video to analogue VGA output and has been tested with the Raspberry Pi
I notice the description only mentions HDTV resolutions "480p/720p/1080p"

Are these really the only resolutions it supports? if so then i'd think it would be of very limited utility since most VGA only monitors are likely to be designed for traditional PC resolutions not HDTV ones.
I have had exactly that issue with that sort of HDMI to VGA "cable". They don't support resolutions like 1280x1024.

User avatar
CPC.co.uk
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am
Location: Preston
Contact: Website

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:36 am

Burngate wrote:Cheers
No problem at all :) - Thanks!
plugwash wrote:Are these really the only resolutions it supports? if so then i'd think it would be of very limited utility since most VGA only monitors are likely to be designed for traditional PC resolutions not HDTV ones.
Getting this look into for you! :)
http://www.cpc.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/cpc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/cpc_tweet

Rushy
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:38 am

I can confirm that the following resolutions work with the PiView:-
1024x768
1280x768
1280x1024
1360x768
1440x900

These were tested on a lenovo 19" & Hanspree 19" TV

Will update with higher resolutions*

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3670
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:15 am

1360x768
Is this a typo? do you mean1366x768?

Either way it seems you have confirmed the most important resoloutions for PC monitors. Thanks

Rushy
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:00 pm

Res was 1360x768 as listed on here http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

I cannot get 1366x768 to work with my monitors

SiriusHardware
Posts: 510
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:05 am

Hello CPC-

I'm embarking on a personal project to build a Pi and a hub into a modified (deepened) keyboard/touchpad combo so the Pi becomes a one-box package which just needs 5V power in (for both the Pi and the hub) and HDMI out (the cable from the keyboard / touchpad won't actually leave the enclosure - it will just go internally straight to one of the Pi or hub USB ports inside the enclosure).

To this end, could you please say

1) Whether any of the wired keyboard / touchpad combo units you (CPC) sell have been tried and are considered to work reliably with the Pi?

2) In addition, the project needs a short (you call it stub) HDMI plug to HDMI socket lead, with the HDMI socket being panel mounted - this is to bring the Pi's HDMI connector to a cutout in the new enclosure where a standard HDMI plug (going to the TV) will be plugged into it. This is the nearest thing I can find, your part number

CS22977

-but that is a SOCKET to panel mount socket lead. I need a PLUG to panel mount socket lead. Do you have such a thing? If not, do you have a short form HDMI plug-plug adaptor that I could use with the above item to effectively make it into a male to female cable?

I could combine a short plug-plug lead with the stub cable to create what I want, but plug-plug cables are rarely less than a metre long and are not usually very flexible, so would be difficult to curl up inside a tight space. A short adaptor would be preferable.

User avatar
CPC.co.uk
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am
Location: Preston
Contact: Website

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:30 am

Taking a look at that for you now Sirius :)
http://www.cpc.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/cpc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/cpc_tweet

User avatar
CPC.co.uk
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am
Location: Preston
Contact: Website

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi Sirius

We handed this over to our resident Pi-Guru who came back with this for you;

"Thanks for your message this sounds like a great project. There are a few projects out there doing something similar but using an Amiga/Commodore enclosures.

1) I have tested CS20646 which is a full qwerty keyboard with a touchpad which works out the box absolutely fine with the exception of some multimedia buttons.

2) This is a tricky one however this what I would do. We have AV16470 and AV16471 which are HDMI panel sockets for faceplates. With a small cut out in your enclosure you could easily mount one of these inside and with a short HDMI lead AV18677 0.15cm. I think this would be the best option minimizing the need of multiple cables and connectors.

If there is a particular product in which you wish for us to test with the Raspberry Pi please let us know and we will do so."


(Product codes are links to our site :) )

Hope that helps!
http://www.cpc.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/cpc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/cpc_tweet

SiriusHardware
Posts: 510
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:04 pm

CPC.co.uk wrote:Hi Sirius

We handed this over to our resident Pi-Guru who came back with this for you;

"Thanks for your message this sounds like a great project. There are a few projects out there doing something similar but using an Amiga/Commodore enclosures.

1) I have tested CS20646 which is a full qwerty keyboard with a touchpad which works out the box absolutely fine with the exception of some multimedia buttons.

2) This is a tricky one however this what I would do. We have AV16470 and AV16471 which are HDMI panel sockets for faceplates. With a small cut out in your enclosure you could easily mount one of these inside and with a short HDMI lead AV18677 0.15cm. I think this would be the best option minimizing the need of multiple cables and connectors.

If there is a particular product in which you wish for us to test with the Raspberry Pi please let us know and we will do so."


(Product codes are links to our site :) )

Hope that helps!
Indeed yes!

I am constantly amazed by the speed and quality of the responses we receive here.

I had considered using a female to female panel mount 'feedthrough' but the only ones I had previously found were mounted in vastly oversized barrel housings with square mounting flanges which would have forced me to use a thicker enclosure than I wanted to. The parts you've suggested are perfect, thank you.

Re: The use of C64 and Amiga enclosures, if I had either of those in intact condition I would not have the heart to destroy such venerable antiques just to make them into Pi cases. Finding something with the right dimensions will be a challenge - I'm thinking that possibly the casing of an old PC-XT keyboard may have the right mix of width, front-to-back and just enough depth to fit a Pi and an uncased flat hub into, with the original PCB and keys removed and the more modern keyboard / touchpad fitted over / sunk into the space vacated by the keys.

But incidentally, if you (CPC) feel like turning the idea into a commercially designed product, feel free. I would be only too happy to buy one if you did.

You'd really just need to take an existing, already manufacturered keyboard / mouse combo such as CS20646, remove the lower cover / tray and design and fit a deeper one which included shaped receptacles to hold a Pi and a powered hub. The upper part (keys, touchpad, associated microcontroller and its firmware) would remain exactly as they originally were and so no further R&D would be required in that area. In theory, it might even be possible to 3D-print a deepened lower tray for an existing keyboard using the shape of the original lower cover / tray as a starting template (I do not have access to 3D printing technology).

In the meantime, I'll order those bits. Thank you for taking the time to research answers to my questions.

User avatar
CPC.co.uk
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am
Location: Preston
Contact: Website

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:10 pm

SiriusHardware wrote:Indeed yes!

I am constantly amazed by the speed and quality of the responses we receive here.
Well, we do like to try! :)
SiriusHardware wrote:The parts you've suggested are perfect, thank you.
No problem, glad we could help (well, our Pi-Guru could!)
SiriusHardware wrote:Re: The use of C64 and Amiga enclosures, if I had either of those in intact condition I would not have the heart to destroy such venerable antiques just to make them into Pi cases.
We hear ya, both machines close to some of our hearts :')
SiriusHardware wrote:But incidentally, if you (CPC) feel like turning the idea into a commercially designed product, feel free. I would be only too happy to buy one if you did.
Who knows what you'll see from us in the future ;-)
SiriusHardware wrote:In the meantime, I'll order those bits. Thank you for taking the time to research answers to my questions.
No problem Sir, if you ever need anything else checking out then let us know and we'll do what we can! :D
http://www.cpc.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/cpc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/cpc_tweet

Rushy
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:56 pm

If you have a look on ebay there are some Amiga cases and keyboards for sale. Although not sure where you would fit a touchpad and it would be kind of bulky. I think a big enough keyboard with legs on it could quite easily fit under a keyboard. The Pi itself is roughly 17mm tall and a standard keyboard is about 19mm thick so if there is room could quite easily fit in.
I'm intrigued now :D

SiriusHardware
Posts: 510
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Rushy wrote:If you have a look on ebay there are some Amiga cases and keyboards for sale. Although not sure where you would fit a touchpad and it would be kind of bulky. I think a big enough keyboard with legs on it could quite easily fit under a keyboard. The Pi itself is roughly 17mm tall and a standard keyboard is about 19mm thick so if there is room could quite easily fit in.
I'm intrigued now :D
I have an almost religious objection to anything that looks like an Amiga, Atari, Spectrum or C64 not actually being one of those things. But that's just me.

If you lift up a modern PC keyboard, unfortunately, you'll tend to find a deep hollow in the base tray going up towards the underside of the keys, which means that there is next to no room at all inside them. Definitely the nicest way to modify an existing modern keyboard / touchpad like CPC's CS20646 unit would be to 3D-print or otherwise custom manufacture a specially made, deeper, lower cover or tray with enough space in it for a Pi and a hub. But that is beyond my ability or means.

I've found a very old PC-XT keyboard gathering dust at work - I can see that it is comfortably deep enough to fit a Pi into, so the next step is to get that keypad / touchpad unit ordered and see if it will neatly cover the cutouts which will be left once the original keyboard PCB is removed.

Unfortunately the old keyboard in question is the traditional hideous office beige colour, so I think it is going to have to be resprayed matt black once I've established that it is physically fit for purpose.

I do think this is a worthwhile exercise and I do think that a properly designed commercially made version would sell quite well. I really do hope CPC (or someone like them) will consider taking this on. The Pi by itself is impressively small and neat looking, but a fully configured and connected Pi with the inevitable hub looks like a nightmarish spiderweb of cables with the Pi lurking somewhere in the middle. I would use my Pi a lot more if it was organised into a one-box setup which required only power in and TV/Video out, just like our beloved eighties computers.

Nobody6
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:26 pm

Rushy wrote:I can confirm that the following resolutions work with the PiView:-
1024x768
1280x1024
Well, I can choose these resolutions by selecting the right "hdmi_mode" in the config.txt and by the changing way my old crt reacts to them I can tell they appear to be displayed correctly as well.
HOWEVER, no matter which resolution I choose the actual size that can be used never exceeds 640x480 or 720x576, depending on the "hdmi_group" setting. RaspBMC always reports 60Hz, although the refresh rate is obviously higher (I can tell, because it doesn't flicker).

Why?
How do I get RaspBMC or Raspian to use the selected resolution instead of this smaller, upscaled one?

It's acting as if the framebuffer size is limited to 640x480, no matter the resolution or which value I manually set the framebuffer to.

User avatar
CPC.co.uk
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am
Location: Preston
Contact: Website

Re: CPC are here to answer questions :)

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:16 am

You may want to try using the HDMI_group = 1 (CEA) as this is prefered for analogue TV's as well as CRT monitors. By default if the particular resolution setting isn't supported it will revert to a default setting, most likely 640x480 in your case. Let us know how you get on

CEA (hdmi_group=1)

hdmi_mode=(option)

HDMI_CEA_VGA = 1,
HDMI_CEA_480p60 = 2,
HDMI_CEA_480p60H = 3,
HDMI_CEA_720p60 = 4,
HDMI_CEA_1080i60 = 5,
HDMI_CEA_480i60 = 6,
HDMI_CEA_480i60H = 7,
HDMI_CEA_240p60 = 8,
HDMI_CEA_240p60H = 9,
HDMI_CEA_480i60_4x = 10,
HDMI_CEA_480i60_4xH = 11,
HDMI_CEA_240p60_4x = 12,
HDMI_CEA_240p60_4xH = 13,
HDMI_CEA_480p60_2x = 14,
HDMI_CEA_480p60_2xH = 15,
HDMI_CEA_1080p60 = 16,
HDMI_CEA_576p50 = 17,
HDMI_CEA_576p50H = 18,
HDMI_CEA_720p50 = 19,
HDMI_CEA_1080i50 = 20,
HDMI_CEA_576i50 = 21,
HDMI_CEA_576i50H = 22,
HDMI_CEA_288p50 = 23,
HDMI_CEA_288p50H = 24,
HDMI_CEA_576i50_4x = 25,
HDMI_CEA_576i50_4xH = 26,
HDMI_CEA_288p50_4x = 27,
HDMI_CEA_288p50_4xH = 28,
HDMI_CEA_576p50_2x = 29,
HDMI_CEA_576p50_2xH = 30,
HDMI_CEA_1080p50 = 31,
HDMI_CEA_1080p24 = 32,
HDMI_CEA_1080p25 = 33,
HDMI_CEA_1080p30 = 34,
HDMI_CEA_480p60_4x = 35,
HDMI_CEA_480p60_4xH = 36,
HDMI_CEA_576p50_4x = 37,
HDMI_CEA_576p50_4xH = 38,
HDMI_CEA_1080i50_rb = 39,
HDMI_CEA_1080i100 = 40,
HDMI_CEA_720p100 = 41,
HDMI_CEA_576p100 = 42,
HDMI_CEA_576p100H = 43,
HDMI_CEA_576i100 = 44,
HDMI_CEA_576i100H = 45,
HDMI_CEA_1080i120 = 46,
HDMI_CEA_720p120 = 47,
HDMI_CEA_480p120 = 48,
HDMI_CEA_480p120H = 49,
HDMI_CEA_480i120 = 50,
HDMI_CEA_480i120H = 51,
HDMI_CEA_576p200 = 52,
HDMI_CEA_576p200H = 53,
HDMI_CEA_576i200 = 54,
HDMI_CEA_576i200H = 55,
HDMI_CEA_480p240 = 56,
HDMI_CEA_480p240H = 57,
HDMI_CEA_480i240 = 58,
HDMI_CEA_480i240H = 59,
HDMI_CEA_720p24 = 60,
HDMI_CEA_720p25 = 61,
HDMI_CEA_720p30 = 62,
HDMI_CEA_1080p120 = 63,
HDMI_CEA_1080p100 = 64
http://www.cpc.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/cpc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/cpc_tweet

Return to “General discussion”