brandoaire

Have experience with Raspberry Pi? Interested in IoT?

Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:33 am

Hello everyone!

My name is Will, and I'm on the team at Particle (http://particle.io), an IoT development platform for product creators. We're work on a new product integration with Raspberry Pi, and we'd love to chat with you!

We're looking for 5-10 members of the Raspberry Pi community who would be willing to chat with a couple of our team members for an hour or so about their experiences using Raspberry Pi for project and product development in exchange for a $50 gift certificate to our store (http://store.particle.io). You don't need to have any previous experience with our product or company--only exposure and experience working with Raspberry Pi hardware.

If you're interested, please post in the thread below with a sentence describing your general experience level with Raspberry Pi (beginners completely welcome!). We'll select a random group of individuals that includes both beginners and advanced users and reward everyone who participates in the focus group with a $50 gift certificate to the Particle store.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from some of you!

Will @ Particle

hussainpatel

Re: Have experience with Raspberry Pi? Interested in IoT?

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:59 pm

Yes, I have experience working on Raspberry Pi and have created some projects..
Recently friends suggested, why not I create my own website and post articles and demos..
Since May of this year, I have started my own website and posted few articles. I had never recorded my projects, Hope to record and upload them one by one in coming days.
you can view my site here - http://hussainpatel.com

Hope this helps
Hussain Patel..
Last edited by hussainpatel on Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnb_summers

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:04 pm

yes i have a bit of experience in the pi and have tried IoT, found it worst than useless and all about making money for Microsoft, I don't think it is something Pi users should get involved with, they will only get fleeced when they can do a lot more with Linux, if IoT was the pi operating system only about 10 Pi's would have been sold and not 10 million, once you loaded IoT into the pi it lets you do nothing until you have brought all the bits from Microsoft when they are all free with Linux.

Also the wireless wont work as it wont transfer all your data at a speed that Microsoft covertly do it, it gives you a message saying that the Raspberry Pi wireless adapter is not stable and should not be used and you should use only a cable connection before it will work, THAT IS A COMPLETE LIE BY MICROSOFT, the need the cable connection so they can covertly download every thing you do and have on the PI, so cant see it working with the wireless Pi 3 and raspberry Pi should boot Microsoft for the lies they are telling about their wireless adaptor.
Last edited by johnb_summers on Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyPi Developer
http://mypiworld.com/
http://mypi.tech/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2nyRgg-SY&nohtml5=False

Massi

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:13 pm

brandoaire wrote:We'll select a random group of individuals that includes both beginners and advanced users and reward everyone who participates in the focus group with a $50 gift certificate to the Particle store.
You can easily choose Dougie with a $500 gift certificate :lol:

johnb_summers

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:20 pm

for your information people here share things and its all free, you are only using IoT so you can charge for everything, just here to make money and this post is spam, the 50 is worthless as you have to spend it with you and have to have that mafia OS IoT installed, so basically your about destroying the PI community for money.
MyPi Developer
http://mypiworld.com/
http://mypi.tech/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2nyRgg-SY&nohtml5=False

Massi

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:27 pm

Sorry guys, but IoT is not a trademark of MS, i intended it for what it is (internet of things), not as a microsoft product..
Am i wrong?

bensimmo

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:50 pm

johnb_summers wrote:yes i have a bit of experience in the pi and have tried IoT, found it worst than useless and all about making money for Microsoft, I don't think it is something Pi users should get involved with, they will only get fleeced when they can do a lot more with Linux, if IoT was the pi operating system only about 10 Pi's would have been sold and not 10 million, once you loaded IoT into the pi it lets you do nothing until you have brought all the bits from Microsoft when they are all free with Linux.

Also the wireless wont work as it wont transfer all your data at a speed that Microsoft covertly do it, it gives you a message saying that the Raspberry Pi wireless adapter is not stable and should not be used and you should use only a cable connection before it will work, THAT IS A COMPLETE LIE BY MICROSOFT, the need the cable connection so they can covertly download every thing you do and have on the PI, so cant see it working with the wireless Pi 3 and raspberry Pi should boot Microsoft for the lies they are telling about their wireless adaptor.
IoT is the Internet of Things and is device and OS neutral, I think you have the wrong end of the stick.

brandoaire

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:20 pm

Hey all! To clarify, this has nothing to do with Microsoft's Internet of Things (IoT) offering :-)

Not spamming--just hoping to have a conversation with folks who know Raspberry Pi and would we willing to chat about a new product integration between Particle and Raspberry Pi that we're working on in exchange for some fun IoT hardware.

Thanks all!

Laurens-wuyts

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:12 pm

I like the idea of connecting iot with the raspberry pi, without using windows.
As there isn't much software running on RPi linux to easly connect your home to your phone. :)

I have a good knowledge of the Raspberry pi and I like to chat with you (team) about it. ;)

Laurens

Graymalk

Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:34 pm

Hi, I don't mind participating, but I have mostly only used my Pis for standard IT things, not IoT. I use small microcontrollers for IoT. I have used my Pis for:
- basic camera box
- web server*
- handy dandy development platform*
- cluster*

*still in use

mattlewis

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:05 am

The Pi is a great platform for IoT. I've set a few of them up inside & outside sending simple data items like temperature, pressure & light levels. All sent via MQTT to a central server that logged the data to a time series database (influxdb). Once the data is in influx it was then easy to visualise (think that was using Graphena or something like that, this was a while ago).
Also used the Pi to log bubble rate & temperatures when brewing beer. Data for this project was sent to Plotly for producing graphs.

Matt
http://www.diozero.com/

casperb82

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:26 pm

I am interested. I am a user of Photon and Pi.
I used Pi because of its camera. Doing image processing with it.
I used Photon for low level tasks such as interfacing it with several sensors to monitor environment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My website: Java Forums
Last edited by casperb82 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandoaire

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:24 pm

Awesome! So it sounds like the following folks may be interested:

@hussainpatel
@Massi
@besimmo
@Laurens-wuyts
@Graymalk
@mattlewis
@casperb82

I'll send you all a PM now. If I misinterpreted your interest, I apologize--feel free to let me know you're not interested in chatting and you won't be bothered in the future!

We appreciate the feedback :-)

bensimmo

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:56 pm

brandoaire wrote:Awesome! So it sounds like the following folks may be interested:

@hussainpatel
@Massi
@besimmo
@Laurens-wuyts
@Graymalk
@mattlewis
@casperb82

I'll send you all a PM now. If I misinterpreted your interest, I apologize--feel free to let me know you're not interested in chatting and you won't be bothered in the future!

Not me, I was just talking IoT is not Win10 IoT edition.
While I like the IoT concept, I think practically most of it at the moment is not needed, some half a half use but not essential and not worth the money for the gimmick.
That and the fact 'Internet' costs to much.

doughadfield

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:05 pm

Hi, I'm intrigued by your approach and think that exchanging gift vouchers for input from the pi community is a really good idea - cheaper than any other marketing focus-group based approach that I've had any experience with.

For myself, I'm an IT professional as a day job, but enjoy playing with Pis in my spare time - I have many surrounding the house as cameras; a couple monitoring temperatures in the loft spaces, acting as security gateways for incoming connections from the internet (so I can log into my house network when travelling), I have one for ad-blocking, one as a multi-track recorder for my band (I play guitar in a pub band), and am now building a cluster, for playing with distributed computing.

I also play with PICs and Arduinos, to get smaller, single-task devices going (DMX lighting controllers, MIDI converters, etc) which are also a lot of fun :-)

I believe the IoT will radically change the way the internet works and computing companies approach markets, so being "in at the beginning" is a lot of fun (especially for someone like me in their '50s, who's already seen a lot of changes in the computer market over the years!!).

I wish you all the best with your endeavour.

Doug
Last edited by doughadfield on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:07 pm

Massi wrote:
brandoaire wrote:We'll select a random group of individuals that includes both beginners and advanced users and reward everyone who participates in the focus group with a $50 gift certificate to the Particle store.
You can easily choose Dougie with a $500 gift certificate :lol:
I'll let you be my proxy.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Massi

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:40 pm

brandoaire wrote:Awesome! So it sounds like the following folks may be interested:

@hussainpatel
@Massi
@besimmo
@Laurens-wuyts
@Graymalk
@mattlewis
@casperb82

To be honest, i've never said i'm interested in this.
The raspberry community is so nice because everyone with a problem or a question can come here, post the question and get an answer for free.
I'm not interested in those "secret speaking"

_RobP

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:47 pm

I'm a Pi user with an interest in IoT.

I have a Pi Zero running OpenHAB and will soon be moving to OpenHAB2 on a Pi 3.

Talking to OpenHAB at the moment are a ESP8266 devices logging the temperature from the living room and fish tank and another ESP8266 logging the temperature and humidity in the bathroom. Using rules in OpenHAB I automatically turn on the dehumidifier in the bathroom when the humidity goes over 50% to prevent mould building up.

One reason I go for home-brew IoT is because of security concerns. A lot of off-the-shelf kit talks to "the cloud" and there are too many stories of security being an afterthought.

If you still need feedback let me know.

bensimmo

Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:22 pm

_RobP wrote:I'm a Pi user with an interest in IoT.

I have a Pi Zero running OpenHAB and will soon be moving to OpenHAB2 on a Pi 3.

Talking to OpenHAB at the moment are a ESP8266 devices logging the temperature from the living room and fish tank and another ESP8266 logging the temperature and humidity in the bathroom. Using rules in OpenHAB I automatically turn on the dehumidifier in the bathroom when the humidity goes over 50% to prevent mould building up.

One reason I go for home-brew IoT is because of security concerns. A lot of off-the-shelf kit talks to "the cloud" and there are too many stories of security being an afterthought.

If you still need feedback let me know.
If it doesn't 'talk to' the cloud or give you seamless access via the internet, is it not then just automation? or even a buzzword of Intranet of Things if it just within your own personal network?

_RobP

Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:25 pm

bensimmo wrote:If it doesn't 'talk to' the cloud or give you seamless access via the internet, is it not then just automation? or even a buzzword of Intranet of Things if it just within your own personal network?
Good point.

Intranet of Things I like!

throstur62

Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi,
Lot of things happening in this field now. Have you seen this?

Seems to be a huge project including Raspberry Pi Computer Boards, lot of plug-in modules, BACnet that they say will be open source, MQTT. I'm quite amazed actually.

They also seem to be targeting the same audience as you....see here.

Their web site at dingo-iot.io.

Heater

Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:37 pm

bensimmo,
If it doesn't 'talk to' the cloud or give you seamless access via the internet, is it not then just automation? or even a buzzword of Intranet of Things if it just within your own personal network?
The way I see it is that these things labeled "cloud" are the exact opposite of that nebulous, distributed, fluffy thing that a real cloud in the sky is.

Instead, most of the time "cloud" refers to a central service run by some company or other. To which your computers connect so that you can access your data from anywhere in the world. Via that central service.

My idea of "cloud" would be that I could access my servers at home, that serve up my data from sensors or whatever computers, to me with my laptop no matter where I am in the world. With nothing more than knowing the IP address of my machine. Provided by DNS of course, which itself is a distributed "cloud" service. With no dependence on some "IoT Cloud Service", like http://dingo-iot.io/ or all the others trying to capture a market.

The only reason we have these centralized "cloud" systems is because most people are connected to the net via service providers that do not provide public IP addresses, or perhaps they are not statically allocated. They don't have host names. Connecting your own server in your own home from outside can be a challenge, what with fighting with configuring your router to forward traffic to the right place and setting up a host name and SSL certificates etc.

We are far from cloud computing.

davidcoton

Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:45 pm

Heater wrote:My idea of "cloud" would be that I could access my servers at home, that serve up my data from sensors or whatever computers, to me with my laptop no matter where I am in the world. With nothing more than knowing the IP address of my machine. ...
We are far from cloud computing.
I'm with you there. I'm going to set up yet another cloud routing service to do just that minimal job of making a variable IP home network that wants to be part of the Internet of Things visible in the cloud.

It will be known as "ID-iot". If there aren't too many of them around already.
Signature retired

Heater

Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:01 pm

davidcoton,

"ID-iot"

That's great, sign me up.

:)

But more seriously....

I think it should go like this:

1) I take my new computer home and plug it into my router or let it connect to my WIFI.
2) When I start it up among all the other things I have to configure it should ask "Do you want this machine to be accessible from the internet?
3) I say "yes" or check the box in a GUI.
4) It then tells me my current publicly accessible IP address and some host name I can use. That could be some weird thing like "nkdfc8w9efw98fy6.com" or whatever.
5) It asks me for a user name and password to access the machine at that URL.
6) Boom my machine is available via HTTPS. Securely, to me.

Then, I should be able to a add software to my machine, or the network behind it, that talks to my "IoT" devices and makes the data available.

All this could be done now, I think. If we were not buried behind private, dynamic, addresses by our services providers. If we could be peer on the net with the same status as a Google, Facebook, or whatever IoT cloud wannabe start up.

Return to “General discussion”