99guspuppet

Re: Broadcom reaction to distructive entrepreneurship

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:45 pm

I predict that the RaspberryPi will be very successful. Folks like me will see it as an opportunity to create products that are targeted at niches and also at large audiences.

What will the non-profit do if they receive an order for 1000,000 units ? Or for 1,000,000 ? Will they say no ? How will Broadcom react if some of their OEM customers complain that the board is eroding their sales ? Broadcom has been very protective of their OEM customers in he past. RaspberryPi makes no sense economically for Broadcom .... and if RBPI hurts Broadcom finacially ....... What will Broadcom do ? I wonder what the agreement is between the non-profit and Broadcom.

I think it is likely there will be rationing and restrictions on what the board can be used for.

99guspuppet

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:49 pm

Broadcom are not going to ration or restrict what we can do. We are very unlikely, I think, to be a success on the scale you\'re predicting (I\'d love it if we were); but if we were, guess what? They\'d be selling us the chips that they\'d be selling to someone we\'d displaced instead.

Broadcom are simply not as evil as the paranoid among us seem to think they are, and they are not holding any sort of axe over our heads. Our sales agreement with them is a completely vanilla one, such as anybody buying from a chip vendor might have.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

99guspuppet

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:55 pm

I think I should have made the title read \"Broadcom reaction to disruptive entrepreneurship\"

I look forward to the flying fur.

kme

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Broadcom couldn\'t care less who they sell to. Money doesn\'t smell. Besides, the R-Pi isn\'t in direct competition with typical BCM2835 customers. R-Pi just enlarge the customer base.

Warringer

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:19 pm

99, Eben works for Broadcom. So guess what will happen. :p

99guspuppet

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:26 pm

I will guess what might happen......

#1 Eben gets fired or has a fatal accident
#2 Broadcom restricts delivery of chips for RaspberryPi
#3 Broadcom stops making the chip.
#4 OEM users of Broadcom chips breathe a sigh of relief.

Svartalf

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:34 pm

And, I will guess what might happen...

#1 99 gets collected by the nice young men in their clean white coats to take him off to the Funny Farm...

abishur

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:44 pm

#1 First part is illegal and rather draconian and illogical. My employee made a hot item that\'s boosting our sales. Let\'s fire him because people are whining? That doesn\'t make sense
#1 Second part illegal? :P
#2 and #3 Why would they restrict there sales to a hot product?! Talk about cutting the nose to spite the face. They\'re getting their money regardless of who is buying, they\'re not going to restrict sales because some company starts whining that \"it\'s not fair!\" because their product can\'t compete, that\'s just the way a free market works. Besides it literally happens *all* the time.
#4 OEM users wouldn\'t be happy if the chip they used went out of production, everyone would just swap to a new chip and then what? The ultimate solution being suggested is to not let anyone have it.

I\'m trying to follow you here, but it\'s not making sense, is this supposed to be satire?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

liz

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:47 pm

And there was I thinking that I was the only person outside the company who knew about Broadcom\'s Ninja Unit.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Warringer

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:50 pm

[quote]Quote from liz on December 1, 2011, 19:47
And there was I thinking that I was the only person outside the company who knew about Broadcom\'s Ninja Unit.[/quote]

Shhhh...

No one needs to know...

abishur

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:58 pm

Thought of a better analogy. It would be like Toyota not shipping cars to one of their dealerships because it was doing better than the others.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

kkolev

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:05 pm

[quote]Quote from asb on December 1, 2011, 19:55
They\'re going to inject Eben with a poison that will kill him unless he can keep his adrenaline levels high enough.[/quote]

Considering his driving skill, I\'m sure he\'ll manage to survive long enough to find the antidote.

Montekuri

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:18 pm

[quote]Quote from asb on December 1, 2011, 19:55
They\'re going to inject Eben with a poison that will kill him unless he can keep his adrenaline levels high enough.[/quote]
Just reading some topics in this forum and he will have an eternal adrenaline source.

obarthelemy

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:22 pm

I\'m sure the \"1,000,000 unit sales\" issue is one we will all be utterly delighted to have. Same with OEM complaints, which would mean 1) success 2) other products in the same space.

psycho_moggie

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:20 pm

Broadcom\'s Ninja Unit
That sounds like a 70\'s era British funk band.
I can\'t play drums, anyone care to join me?

Bakul Shah

Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:45 pm

The question is not *if* but *when* a million units will be sold. I predict less than 3 years. The low price points makes a whole bunch of new products feasible.

TheLaw

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:22 am

More likely, broadcom sees it a perfect opportunity and invests money into the next raspberry pi.

[quote]Quote from 99guspuppet on December 1, 2011, 19:26
I will guess what might happen......

#1 Eben gets fired or has a fatal accident
#2 Broadcom restricts delivery of chips for RaspberryPi
#3 Broadcom stops making the chip.
#4 OEM users of Broadcom chips breathe a sigh of relief.[/quote]

Metz

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:02 am

The first rule about Broadcom\'s Ninja Unit is....you don\'t talk about Broadcom\'s Ninja Unit.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:19 pm

This thread made me laugh out loud :)

mengel

Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Did I wander into slashdot ? Damn, I need more coffee.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:29 pm

Just read this thread. Needed a laugh. 99 seems to be very anti Broadcom for some reason. See some of his previous posts.

In actuality, in my opinion the only situation in his list that is even remotely likely is that Broadcom will stop making the chip, IFF Raspi are the only customer, as the volumes to keep making them may not be there. However, there are other customers for the same chip (Roku for example), and you don\'t stop making chips if you have the volume. So even though possible, still very unlikely.

Having been privy to some comments from the CEO at Broadcom he is very keen on the Raspi project and its possibilities. Read whatever you like in to that.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Burngate

Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Don\'t know Broadcom\'s CEO, but from what\'s been said previously on the forum he seems to be a nice guy. Also, since Broadcom appears to be successful, he must be quite business-savvy.
So we can have faith that the Pi\'s success can go hand in hand with Broadcom\'s.
A slight area of uncertainty would be if competitors came out of the wood-work to market similar products, a circumstance we\'ve been told not contrary to the foundation\'s aims. If it were based on a competitor\'s chip then Broadcom would be less happy.
But if Raspberry Pi does well enough, then it could become a de-facto standard. Then to be a Pi-competitor it would have to work like a Pi, which would mean it would have to be based on the Broadcom chip ...
I see in my crystal ball RIM bringing out a raspberry-based blackberry

matt_heys

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:30 pm

I was under the impression that the only special arrangement with broadcom was not so much about price but being allowed to buy 10,000 at a time instead of 1,000,000.

meltwater

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:01 pm

[quote]Quote from liz on December 1, 2011, 19:47
And there was I thinking that I was the only person outside the company who knew about Broadcom\'s Ninja Unit.[/quote]
Ninja\'s in bunny suits....that\'s gonna be interesting.

I did read somewhere the Roku uses a similar chip, although no idea about the truth of that.

As for OEMs getting upset, they can price their products how they wish. So if the R-pi is an issue then they will have cut margins just like R-pi has. To be fair most customers would pick a propose built product anyway and pay the extra for it.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Return to “General discussion”