exartemarte

Re: Latest Order and Shipping update from RS & Allied

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:00 am

MicroStrand wrote:
sam502 wrote:That's the real reason, why the PR about the alleged 35$ computer simply is a big hoax.
I don't think you're being fair to the foundation. They have always been clear that the $35 tag is a basic price not including local taxes or delivery costs, which will vary from place to place and supplier to supplier. The foundation can't exempt you from local taxes, and you can't realistically expect suppliers to deliver for nothing. The Farnell price, before tax, is GBP24.96, which is just under $40, so they have added less than $5 (about GBP3.15) for delivery - which is normal for the UK or even a little on the low side.

If the price is markedly different elsewhere that is due to local conditions, not PR hype.

MicroStrand

Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:33 pm

exartemarte wrote:If the price is markedly different elsewhere that is due to local conditions, not PR hype.
That's wrong, the PR hype is the main reason for the most negative side effect in pricing, a bigger headroom for greedy suppliers! What they do is business as usual and has absolutely nothing to to with the ideas of the foundation. In this way are the mentioned 35$ an ordinary PR gag, practically a useless information for the ordinary consumer. But how I wrote before, the reality shows its ugly face, compared with the alleged advantages. :P
"Thinking and dreaming are an essential part of human existence. But they are not enough. Actually doing something - steering electrons about their myriad paths - is reality. Nothing substitutes for it." Charles H. Moore

mrjames

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:27 am

mwrich4 wrote: I ordered a Pi, clear case plus other goodies with order number 811xx on June 20, 2012.

I've sent a few emails and received no replies.
In the same leaky boat: 815xx in June with an estimated delivery of 9 weeks. It's 11 weeks now. Added to that, the recent shipping update/apology email quoted a 'total amount' that was actually £30 more than I ordered. I sent an email querying that discrepancy, no reply to that or a couple of other emails. Tracking customer interactions with e.g. ticket-systems is a solved problem. It's all a bit embarrassing, really. :oops:

exartemarte

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:44 pm

A question for Liz:

Given all the reported difficulties, the practice of charging for goods they don't even have, and the appalling customer service, why is the RS logo still displayed on the foundation's website?

snomis

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:02 pm

I think I've found out why so few of us are getting email replies from RS.

They'd rather do this in the link below than answer questions. (Clip from RS customer services 22 March 2012)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmKNEDbiuDM

mrjames

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:44 pm

Follow up: I cancelled my RS order per above on Monday (after wringing my hands 11 weeks, and boring my girlfriend to near death. "It's not your fault ... It's not your fault ..."</goodWillHunting>), ordered from Farnell, and they shipped today. :lol:

Cotard

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:56 pm

Hello,

Noting that no reply to emails I wonder if someone from RS, [email protected] or another member of RS reads this forum and if so could answer us some question as average time paid back once canceled an order, if you expect any changes in the delivery schedule for cancellations. I think that since there is no communication by email or phone that could be used as a communication this forum between RS and its customers.

Regards and sorry for my bad English.

mirtheil

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:03 pm

I've been following this thread for a while. I ordered (RaspPi and clear case) from RS on Jun 29 and was told 12 weeks. After seeing some of the posts here, I emailed on August 8 and was told my order would ship on Aug 31. On Aug 28, I emailed asking for confirmation that my order was still shipping on the 31st. Within an hour, I got the "delay" email saying it was delayed "up to 4 weeks" however based on my order number (129xxx), it would have been delayed at least 5 and possibly 6 weeks. I cancelled my order on Aug 31 and was told the refund would take 14 business days. Today, however, I got an email with notice that my order had been refunded and the money has shown up in my PayPal account.

InnocentSam

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:18 pm

I am severely disappointed, but at least they're trying to get on our good side by sending us patient-ers rev 2.0 boards.

cornmuffin

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:58 pm

I ordered from Allied on August 2 and have only ever received the order confirmation (with no shipping estimate) and have never received an update since. Is anyone that ordered from Allied getting emails or is it only people from RS? The lack of communication really bothers me, and so does the fact that I keep reading about people cancelling their RS orders and going with Farnell and getting their pi relatively quickly....I might just do the same if I can figure out how.

exartemarte

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:30 pm

Email from Farnell this morning saying "Your Raspberry Pi has now been shipped from our warehouse". It was ordered five days ago, on 1st September - £29.95 inclusive of tax and delivery, charged when the goods are dispatched.

Just sayin' ...

Luka666

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:47 am

Got the same email today. Ordered two on the 29th of august. Farnell is in my trusted provider list from now on :D

Lob0426

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:28 pm

cornmuffin wrote:I ordered from Allied on August 2 and have only ever received the order confirmation (with no shipping estimate) and have never received an update since. Is anyone that ordered from Allied getting emails or is it only people from RS? The lack of communication really bothers me, and so does the fact that I keep reading about people cancelling their RS orders and going with Farnell and getting their pi relatively quickly....I might just do the same if I can figure out how.
Unfortunately this post seems to be only for RS european customers. There has been no mention of Allied order numbers. In fact I only received and order confirmation on 7/7/12 and a notice that the wait time was now 12 weeks (from 10 weeks) on 7/10/12. I have received only junk e-mail, from them, since then. I am now at 8 weeks wait. We do not have any idea as to whether that 12 weeks has been extended further or not as Allied has supplied no details since then. I have to assume it has.

It has been pointed out that [email protected] and [email protected] are looking at these threads, but not answering for now. The leadership at RS needs to make some adjustments here someplace. I think RS just still has not got the picture, as to how popular the Raspberry Pi is. They have miscalculated the demand from day one. It may be that they are worried about being caught with a huge surplus of unsold boards. Not lilkely, if you figure in that the number of people complaining in the forum is less than .1% of the boards sold so far. They may just not be ready to handle public orders versus commercial oders. Farnell has reaped the benefits so far. They have expanded the retailers that are carrying the RasPi.

RS's lack of communication is just increasing the number of people that are canceling their orders.
RS needs to sit down, take a breath and come up with a new plan concerning the Raspberry Pi!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Rbotguy

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:01 pm

I also ordered 2 pc. from Allied on 8/2 and have only received an order confirmation so far (no order #). So I gave up and waded through the RPI FAQ-->Farnell-->Element14-->Newark maze to place an order for 3 (they show 100 in stock). I just got this from Newark:

Expected Ship Date: 09/06/2012

Woohoo! That's TODAY! Quick, if you want one, go order one of the remaining 98!

Now the only question is; Do I cancel my order from Allied or just wait for a happy day surprise some indeterminate time in the future when 2 more RPIs show up on my doorstep? I hate to reward them for bad service.

exartemarte

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Lob0426 wrote:RS needs to sit down, take a breath and come up with a new plan concerning the Raspberry Pi!
What RS needs is to decide whether to restrict itself to its traditional trade-only customer base - something which, in my experience, it does well enough - or extend its provision to individual purchasers. If the latter, then it has a huge learning curve to climb, and it could do worse than looking at how Farnell has dealt with Raspberry Pi.

exartemarte

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:25 am

exartemarte wrote:Email from Farnell this morning saying "Your Raspberry Pi has now been shipped from our warehouse". It was ordered five days ago, on 1st September - £29.95 inclusive of tax and delivery, charged when the goods are dispatched.
Arrived today, and it's a Rev2 board.

thsBavR10

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:35 am

Rev2 Board is released now, and will be shipped from Farnell.

Means a contrario, the RS will deliver yet Revision 1 board?
It is now time for (all of) us to cancel our remaining RS-orders?

RS, please come up, and tell us something helpful!

cornmuffin

Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Rbotguy wrote:I also ordered 2 pc. from Allied on 8/2 and have only received an order confirmation so far (no order #). So I gave up and waded through the RPI FAQ-->Farnell-->Element14-->Newark maze to place an order for 3 (they show 100 in stock). I just got this from Newark:

Now the only question is; Do I cancel my order from Allied or just wait for a happy day surprise some indeterminate time in the future when 2 more RPIs show up on my doorstep? I hate to reward them for bad service.

I also went ahead and ordered another pi from MCM. Ordered on a Wednesday evening and it is already being delivered Friday (TODAY! yay!), that is a quick turnaround! I have the same dilemma as you, do I keep my order at Allied and get a random Pi surprise in the future (I could use another one for at work anyway) or cancel it because I really don't want them getting my money. Also I'm not sure how to even cancel an order from Allied yet...

lko2181

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:04 pm

sdjf wrote:Has anyone from Allied received their delay emails Jo said we would be getting? 7:43PM California time, no email has come from them.

I would guess the Allied delay may be different than the RS delay as they get separate shipments?

Jo said the thread is for both Allied and RS, but our order numbers are different and I am thinking that the different sites get different shipments.

For reference, my Allied Order number is 2500237xxx placed July 23. Original estimated shipping was mid-October (12 weeks).
I ordered from Allied 7/30 and they originally told me 'mid-October' (on a phone call to the local office). I spoke to that office again yesterday, and now they say 'late-November' or 'maybe by Christmas'. All communication has been initiated by me, by phone, and thus verbal, unofficial, unrecorded, undocumented, untraceable. I've never gotten ANY email stating anything about anything. The rest of my order has shipped - long ago - but noPi in sight... Wonderign what to do?

W. H. Heydt

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:42 pm

cornmuffin wrote:
Rbotguy wrote:I also ordered 2 pc. from Allied on 8/2 and have only received an order confirmation so far (no order #). So I gave up and waded through the RPI FAQ-->Farnell-->Element14-->Newark maze to place an order for 3 (they show 100 in stock). I just got this from Newark:

I also went ahead and ordered another pi from MCM. Ordered on a Wednesday evening and it is already being delivered Friday (TODAY! yay!), that is a quick turnaround! I have the same dilemma as you, do I keep my order at Allied and get a random Pi surprise in the future (I could use another one for at work anyway) or cancel it because I really don't want them getting my money. Also I'm not sure how to even cancel an order from Allied yet...
Could you post what board version it is when you get a look at it? Please?

JustPat

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:44 pm

thsBavR10 wrote:Rev2 Board is released now, and will be shipped from Farnell.

Means a contrario, the RS will deliver yet Revision 1 board?
It is now time for (all of) us to cancel our remaining RS-orders?

RS, please come up, and tell us something helpful!
Yep, this was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I finally decided that I'm canceling my order with RS as soon as I get home, and ordering from Farnell.

JRT

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:00 am

Gotta love that quote up there from RS:-

"We are currently well within the 14 day period we quote to all our customers when they cancel and will continue to improve the delay our customers experience waiting for their credit"

Absolute rubbish. Two months and waiting, RS.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:16 pm

JRT wrote:Gotta love that quote up there from RS:-

"We are currently well within the 14 day period we quote to all our customers when they cancel and will continue to improve the delay our customers experience waiting for their credit"

Absolute rubbish. Two months and waiting, RS.
<snark>
What? You don't think that they are succeeding in improving their delays?
</snark>

Actually, my experiences with RS (I'd never heard of them before the announcement that they would be one of the Pi distributors) have been no worse than neutral. I've received every Pi I'v ordered from them. Cases on the other hand...still no word, but the time line is still within the original estimate.

pacmariner

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:26 pm

I ordered mine on the 24th of June, I never got any such emails of delays and I am still waiting for RS to notify me of my pending shipment....unanswered emails etc... this is the absolute worst from any company I have ever dealt with, I will never order anything from them again nor will I ever recommend them to anyone, PERIOD!

Return to “General discussion”