Montala

Re: Latest Order and Shipping update from RS & Allied

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 pm

There have been a number of unhappy RS customers on here complaining about yet a further delay to their orders, while those who have ordered from 'the other distributor' seem to be receiving theirs far sooner.

Could one of the reasons behind this be that more bulk orders for very large number (possibly from Maplins, or even some other resellers, for example?) have been placed with RS who suddenly find that they are now unable to obtain enough components to cope with the increased and continuing demand for the Raspberry Pi?

Just a thought!

InnocentSam

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:55 pm

What ticks me off is that my order reference number is 101012XXXX so I'm actually 12 orders behind the August 20th-26th dispatch time. And due to that tiny difference, it's an extra 5 weeks waiting time for me :evil:

snuggles0010

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:42 am

Now people are cancelling, the people that are staying might get them quicker!

Huntsekker

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:41 am

liz wrote:I can only apologise again - we have asked RS to get someone to come and answer questions here, so I hope they will soon.
I'll vent my frustration and anger at RS on a different thread, but the question I would most like answered is when will the rest of the orders which should already have been delivered (order numbers <101000) actually be delivered?

Casalor

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:30 am

snuggles0010 wrote:Now people are cancelling, the people that are staying might get them quicker!
Shhh!!!!

MicroStrand

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:37 am

snuggles0010 wrote:Now people are cancelling, the people that are staying might get them quicker!
Wrong! People who are cancelling might get them immediately from eBay for a higher prise. Otherwise they prefer probably a more sophisticated piece of hardware, like the PandaBoard ES. :twisted:

jesus225

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:01 am

Hi,

I've cancelled my order from RS due to the new delivery date. The issue is that I haven't received any mail from RS either confirming or refusing my cancellation. What am I supposed to do now apart from contacting them in an infinite loop of no responses?

In fact, I strongly believe their mailbox is doubtlessly addressed to >> /dev/null :lol:

Regards.

Cotard

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:17 am

Casalor wrote:
Shhh!!!!

It's a trap!!!

InnocentSam

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:57 am

Cotard wrote:
Casalor wrote:
Shhh!!!!

It's a trap!!!
Never tell me the odds.

RaspberryCheesecake

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:05 am

Cancelled my order with RS and ordered with Farnell who're quoting within 3 weeks for their shipping. RS have had me waiting since June, originally registered in April!

iscroman

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:51 pm

Pandaboard is a better option. I want it... :roll:

But there's a little difference in price if we compare with the Pi. :|

Do you have in mind another options with ARM technology? :geek:
MicroStrand wrote:
Wrong! People who are cancelling might get them immediately from eBay for a higher prise. Otherwise they prefer probably a more sophisticated piece of hardware, like the PandaBoard ES. :twisted:

exartemarte

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:08 pm

liz wrote:[..] They're good guys, and we're doing what we can to try to help them (and you) out.
Sorry, Liz, but in my opinion good guys don't take your money months in advance and then leave you in the dark.

If they didn't get paid until they supplied the goods then at least they would have an incentive; as it is they've got the cash already so why should they bother? I don't trust them - I cancelled my order with RS and now I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

InnocentSam

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:10 pm

exartemarte wrote:If they didn't get paid until they supplied the goods then at least they would have an incentive; as it is they've got the cash already so why should they bother? I don't trust them - I cancelled my order with RS and now I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
I haven't cancelled my order (yet) but in future, I'll be doing the same as you.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:08 pm

Cotard wrote:
Casalor wrote:
Shhh!!!!

It's a trap!!!
It's all an Overlord thought projection designed to lead you into a trap.

(I hope I'm not the only E. E. "Doc" Smith fan here...)

paulkerton

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:55 am

If I were part of the management of The RPi Foundation I would be furious with this situation, as this is surely knocking the ambition of the device and it looks bad on them. I was looking at ordering a large number of devices for 10 schools, and this now 6 month delay between registering my interest to the latest rumoured shipping date for ONE single device has completely knocked it on the head. It definitely won't be happening now because of this awful shipping nightmare. I'm not throwing public money at something that doesn't seem to be anything but vapourware short of some tweets and reviews online.

Are RPi Foundation actually talking to RS, arranging for a different company to take over the contract in the future, or are they just shrugging their shoulders and claiming it isn't anything to do with them? Whether RPi like it or not, this reflects badly on them.

I'd cancel my device order, but I'm now at the point where I feel I'd probably get the device before a refund or anyone proactively taking the problems that have happened by the horns and fixing the situation.

I just feel that this has completely neutered the original intent of the Foundation, and it has definitely soiled not only my view of RS, but also RPi too.

the_dude

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:30 am

guys, uderstand your frustration, seeing how long lead times were, but needing another slice of pi I took a punt anf loged onto www.cpc.co.uk yesterday morning at 9:15, by 9:30 had ordered my Pi....got up this morning (1st September) and was a packge on my doormat.with a pi in it! (one with the 0ohm resisters instead of polyfuses too)...just a thought if you are desperate for Pi goodness I'd get onto cpc pdq. (by the way, order quoted 5squids handling charge, but delivered pi invoice shows 0.00 postage charges (under 30 squids, next day delivery, a bargain.))

paulkerton

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:49 am

the_dude wrote:guys, uderstand your frustration, seeing how long lead times were,
Sorry, but the whole "it's nothing to do with us,we can't do anything, they're nice guys really, give em a chance" attitude, and the frankly, disgraceful handling of this by RS means that I've given up on RS and the project.

Hopefully I'll get my refund by September 20th! Good luck everyone at the Foundation, but I'm afraid it's just too slapdash for me to want to be involved any more.

snuggles0010

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:04 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Cotard wrote:
Casalor wrote: Shhh!!!!

It's a trap!!!
It's all an Overlord thought projection designed to lead you into a trap.

(I hope I'm not the only E. E. "Doc" Smith fan here...)
I should not have said that should I now no one will quit

paulkerton

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:07 am

snuggles0010 wrote:I should not have said that should I now no one will quit
Haha. It's ok. I've quit. I'm happy you'll get closer to getting your device because of it. Luckily I have till Summer Term to assess what we plan to do for Year 6 programming, so I'm guessing Scratch on standard Atom based machines is in the future for me!

snuggles0010

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:16 am

I have seen an unboxing video rs has very fancy packaging must take ages to get it in the packaging

itimpi

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:38 am

paulkerton I agree that RS have messed up, but why not try Farnell as an alternative. They seem to be able to deliver without any problems or inordinate lead times. Tyhat is one advantage of having multiple suppliers - if one messes up the other can come through.

mcgerard

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:19 pm

paulkerton wrote:
= Sorry, but the whole "it's nothing to do with us,we can't do anything, they're nice guys really, give em a chance" attitude, and the frankly, disgraceful handling of this by RS means that I've given up on RS and the project.
I might not have put it the same way but paulkerton does have a valid point. The Foundation did choose RS as one of the suppliers of the Pi so they cannot wash their hands of this and claim it is nothing to do with them. Can they not understand how really annoying it is for the people who ordered that RS have had the money for months but delivery is still months away and yet they can read here of somebody ordering a Pi yesterday from another supplier and receiving it today.

sam502

Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:18 pm

I think I'm just about to get a refund on my allied purchase and buy it directly from eBay. This whole shipping is nonsense. I'm not going to wait to November just to get 1 pi. No sir, g'day allied.

MicroStrand

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:32 am

sam502 wrote:I'm not going to wait to November just to get 1 pi. No sir, g'day allied.
That's the real reason, why the PR about the alleged 35$ computer simply is a big hoax. For the most customers is the reality much different! On the other hand, there are hundreds of used Pi's now available on eBay, because they fell short of expectations and the owners are fed up. :lol:
"Thinking and dreaming are an essential part of human existence. But they are not enough. Actually doing something - steering electrons about their myriad paths - is reality. Nothing substitutes for it." Charles H. Moore

Burngate

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:09 am

paulkerton wrote:... by RS means that I've given up on RS and the project.
OK you now don't like RS ... but the R-Pi?

Why not go to E14 (or CPC or MCM)? At the moment they don't have (much of) a waiting list, so you can get a Pi pretty quickly.

The Raspberry Pi is not RS. Giving up on RS does not mean giving up on Pi

Return to “General discussion”