digger72

HubPiWi Blue

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:58 pm

If you have a Raspberry Pi Zero, you may like to take a look at the HubPiWi Blue.

The HubPiWi Blue has 3 USB ports along with a WiFi and a Bluetooth. And the most important thing is that it does not require soldering the 40 Pin Connector. It makes connection through the Pogo Pins.

The kickstarter link to this project -https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... th-3-usb-p

CarlRJ

Re: HubPiWi Blue

Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:58 pm

I have one of the previous incarnations of this (with 3 full-sized USB ports + WiFi, no Bluetooth), and can attest to its usefulness and reliability. Plug&Play, and it's been running a couple of months non-stop on a PI Zero that's publishing MQTT data every few seconds. Highly recommended.

digger72

Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:11 pm

CarlRJ wrote:I have one of the previous incarnations of this (with 3 full-sized USB ports + WiFi, no Bluetooth), and can attest to its usefulness and reliability. Plug&Play, and it's been running a couple of months non-stop on a PI Zero that's publishing MQTT data every few seconds. Highly recommended.
It is nice to know that you liked the Hubpixed and the HubPiWi.

The HubPiWi Blue is a natural extension of these two which will be specially useful if you are looking for Bluetooth addition. Currently it is one of the most popular projects at kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... th-3-usb-p

amit21

Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:06 am

"Any idea if we can have external an5enna connection? Does the board has connector to hook an extrnal"

digger72

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:33 am

amit21 wrote:"Any idea if we can have external an5enna connection? Does the board has connector to hook an extrnal"
Yes you can connect external antenna to HubPiWi Blue. The board has the option of populating two U.FL connectors. Normally the board is populated with Ceramic Antenna which should be good for most purpose.

williams23

Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:29 am

"Thanks for your clarification. It helps me."

digger72

Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:01 pm

williams23 wrote:Thanks for your clarification. It helps me.
I am glad it helped you. There few features of HubPiWi Blue that you would like to notice.

1. As it works on USB - it is much faster than the other SPI based solutions.
2. The 40 Pin area is intact. In fact you can plug another card on the 40 Pin area and use any of the 40 Pins as you may wish.
3. There is not connector or cable required.
4. The 3 additional USB ports come handy that you can use for anything you wish - Keyboard, Mouse any USB device.

williams23

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:01 pm

Any idea when HubPiWi Blue will be available for direct purchase.
Last edited by williams23 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digger72

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:22 am

The HubPiWi should be available for immediate purchase sometimes by October mid to October end. If you want it earlier, you may like to pledge it on kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... th-3-usb-p

digger72

Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:19 pm

Only last two days left for the HubPiWi Blue pledge at kickstarter. Those who pledge at kickstarter will be the first to get it, though you can pre order later from reference designer.

rpdom

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:03 am

I have a HubPiWi and it is great, thank you :-)

Bluetooth isn't something I need right now, but what would be useful to me is a HubPiNet (USB hub + Ethernet port in a Pi Zero happy format). I would buy four of those at least.

Any chance of that happening?

Actually, I don't even really need the USB, just a Pi Zero with wired ethernet for headless work, but without having USB dongles hanging out all over the place.

CarlRJ

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:10 am

rpdom wrote:Actually, I don't even really need the USB, just a Pi Zero with wired ethernet for headless work, but without having USB dongles hanging out all over the place.
Cool idea! Any ethernet switch becomes a Pi Zero cluster backplane. You might even be able to pull off PoE (or some sort of ersatz PoE, given the low power requirements of the Zero).

I too have a HubPiWi, mine is happily running on the Pi Zero that connects an Arduino WxShield to the rest of my network, for my personal weather station. Has been running great ever since I plugged it in, months ago, publishing new data to my MQTT broker multiple times every minute.

digger72

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:45 pm

rpdom wrote:I have a HubPiWi and it is great, thank you :-)

Bluetooth isn't something I need right now, but what would be useful to me is a HubPiNet (USB hub + Ethernet port in a Pi Zero happy format). I would buy four of those at least.

Actually, I don't even really need the USB, just a Pi Zero with wired ethernet for headless work, but without having USB dongles hanging out all over the place.
HubPiNet is really a cool idea. I actually started work on this sometimes ago and is half done. I thought of choosing between a SPI based or USB based and finally inclined to use the USB based primarily because it will not make use of the 40 Pin connectors and therefore should be easy to install by anyone using pogo pins.

Stay tuned for HubPiNet ( give me couple of weeks)- In the mean time take a look at hubpixed or hubpiwi blue.

rpdom

Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:32 am

digger72 wrote:
rpdom wrote:I have a HubPiWi and it is great, thank you :-)

HubPiNet is really a cool idea. I actually started work on this sometimes ago and is half done. I thought of choosing between a SPI based or USB based and finally inclined to use the USB based primarily because it will not make use of the 40 Pin connectors and therefore should be easy to install by anyone using pogo pins.

Stay tuned for HubPiNet ( give me couple of weeks)- In the mean time take a look at hubpixed or hubpiwi blue.
Cool! I'll keep a look out for that :-)

digger72

Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:26 pm

Cool! I'll keep a look out for that :-)
I checked my older design and it turned out I had already done the design based upon the SPI Bus. I have started the design to make it USB based.

The HubPiWi Blue pledging at kickstarter has less than 24 hours to go, if anyone wants - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... th-3-usb-p

PRSenn

Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:00 am

I have 18 articles on setting up the HubPiWi. Each of them require you to have internet connections in order to set it up to give you WiFi. So far I have tried three different USB Wifi Adapters and none have worked with the HubPiWi installed on the PiZero, I have one more to try before I pop the SD card into another Pi and try setting it up that way.
Pat Senn

"That's not what it was supposed to do!!!"

Return to “General discussion”