mvmiller12

CODEC Ordering confusion

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:15 pm

Hello, All:

I have 2 Raspberry Pi units, and last night I ordered the MPEG-2 and VC-1 CODECs for both of them. The order confirmation e-mails were very clear which serial numbers I had made the purchases for, but did not come with the actual keys. The keys were to be generated within 72-hours. This happened, of course, and I have the keys, BUT there is no indication in the 2 e-mails I received as to which Raspberry Pi the keys are actually for. So now I am down to trial and error to figure it out. There is definitely room for improvement on this one :)

Thanks,
mvmiller12

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: CODEC Ordering confusion

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks for letting us know; I'll make sure we add something to the email your code arrives in for people who have multiple Pis.

Edited to add: I've just looked at what we're sending out to people with multiple orders. If you've got more than one Pi, you're sent a comma-separated list, so you can just put that in all your config.txt; you don't need to work out which code is for which device.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

mvmiller12

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Hello, Liz! Thanks for the quick response. The problem comes in in that as I had to get the serial numbers from each device separately, I made two different orders a few minutes apart. So I have 2 different e-mails with 2 different codes and no way to know which unit they go to.

Thanks,
mvmiller12

eben
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:41 pm

You can just use the comma-separated list in all of your config.txt files. The system will search through the list until it finds the right license for the particular board you're booting on.

mvmiller12

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:52 pm

I am a little confused here - there is no comma separated list in either of my e-mails. Each message just says:

"Thank you for purchasing codec license keys from the Raspberry Pi Store.To enable codecs on your device(s), add the following lines to the config.txt file in the FAT partition of your SD card:

decode_MPG2=0x-------
decode_WVC1=0x-------

Regards
The Raspberry Pi Foundation"

. . .with each e-mail having different codes, naturally. If you are telling me it will work if I copy both sets into the config.txt file, and automatically use the correct set for each device, then I will do that. If there is some special format required for CSV then this will not work.

dom

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:04 pm

mvmiller12 wrote:I am a little confused here - there is no comma separated list in either of my e-mails. Each message just says:

"Thank you for purchasing codec license keys from the Raspberry Pi Store.To enable codecs on your device(s), add the following lines to the config.txt file in the FAT partition of your SD card:

decode_MPG2=0x-------
decode_WVC1=0x-------

Regards
The Raspberry Pi Foundation"

. . .with each e-mail having different codes, naturally. If you are telling me it will work if I copy both sets into the config.txt file, and automatically use the correct set for each device, then I will do that. If there is some special format required for CSV then this will not work.
If one email has
decode_MPG2=0x11111111
decode_WVC1=0x22222222

and the other one has
decode_MPG2=0x33333333
decode_WVC1=0x44444444

You can add this to any config.txt files:
decode_MPG2=0x11111111,0x33333333
decode_WVC1=0x22222222,0x44444444

and the sdcards will work in either board.

mvmiller12

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Thank you very much, Sir! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Thanks,
mvmiller12

egp

Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Kudos to whomever wrote the code that looks through the comma separated list for the matching number. Someone was thinking ahead.

Return to “General discussion”