tinker1

Single boards rivals

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:59 am

Greetings

I made posts about when new Raspberry Pi 4 coming out or when will there be 2GB Ram and 1 Gigabit Ethernet port few months ago.

To be very honest, so far I have not own a Raspberry Pi 3 (I don't know what is it like holding the Pi in my hand or feel it) because I don't want to end up buying another next generations of Raspberry Pi and not knowing what to do with old Raspberry Pi. Its like what to do with a physical old desktop... Allocate for different purpose/use what I can think of e.g. 1x Win98 (I know it sounds silly but its for old games that can handle sounds and graphics yet Oracle Virtual machine doesn't have that capacity to get from A-Z). The point I'm trying to make is having very good specs on one single board computer to buy without buying another Raspberry Pi e.g. I asked a friend who owned the first Raspberry Pi and I said to him "Are you going to buy another Raspberry Pi in future?" and he said "No". That's is his choice.

Here comes down to single boards rivals. So far I have seen some unknown companies (not going to mention brand names) have made 2GB RAM (more than 2GB RAM), 1 Gigabit Ethernet Port, power button and reset button and USB 3.0 port/s that I have seen. What is Raspberry Pi Foundation going to do (Eben Upton still wont listen to the users request) if they want users to support their brand? The Single boards technology are moving fasts. If Raspberry Pi Foundation doesn't make Raspberry Pi 4 with 2 GB RAM and Ethernet port that I want to buy (forget it about the same form factor) then they miss out a train (train is gone).

Whats on your take on other single boards computer (other brand names) of what they did by implementing this wonderful features/specs (USB 3.0 ports, power/reset buttons and many more)? Has Raspberry Pi Foundation missed out huge opportunity? Does Eben Upton don't want to listen user's request anymore?

Thanks

scotty101

Re: Single boards rivals

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:07 am

tinker1 wrote: To be very honest, so far I have not own a Raspberry Pi 3
Does Eben Upton don't want to listen user's request anymore?
The Raspberry Pi Foundation is funded in part by the sale of the devices. If you haven't bought one and provided revenue to the foundation, why should you have a say in how they develop any future models?

The revenue from sales has also gone to develop the an amazing community of users who produce examples, tutorials, textbooks and also funds the Pi Academies to teach teachers how to use them in education. You won't find that with other SBCs.

Put your money where your mouth is. Buy one, contribute in cash and know how rather than criticizing something you don't even own.
Last edited by scotty101 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

rotwang

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:16 am

If you can find an SBC with 2Gig RAM, USB3, SATA, Gigabit Ethernet etc., go buy it and go whine on THEIR support forums.

Heater

Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:07 am

Do report back here when you find the board of your dreams. A lot of us are always interested in what is out there.

Meanwhile we will continue getting fun things done with the Pi.

Your suggestion to "forget the form factor" shows you don't understand what is going on. Change that and all of a sudden thousands of case designs and expansion boards don't fit. Manufacturers of such things will give up, they can't afford to following a moving target all the time. The Pi ecosystem would collapse. The Pi would just become yet another poorly support ARM board. Suicidal.

Longevity of a design hardware and software, creates a de facto standard and a community. This is priceless.

Having said that we can be confident that there will be new improve Pi coming down the pipe at some point. As there has been for so long.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

RaTTuS

Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:21 am

there are problems with the SOC used - it has a 1GB RAM limit, [well the VC4 has], it only has one USB connection so is limited to the speed it can get things in .
[which means no onboard SATA or 1GB ethernet - those these can come via usb devices - the limit [480mbps] is still there.]
it does have CSI and DSI which means for fast video
and a shed load of GPIO.

what we want and what we'll get in the future are very different things ..

push the existing device to it's limits and then see what you really need .
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

fruitoftheloom

Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:33 am

tinker1 wrote:Greetings

I made posts about when new Raspberry Pi 4 coming out or when will there be 2GB Ram and 1 Gigabit Ethernet port few months ago.

To be very honest, so far I have not own a Raspberry Pi 3 (I don't know what is it like holding the Pi in my hand or feel it) because I don't want to end up buying another next generations of Raspberry Pi and not knowing what to do with old Raspberry Pi. Its like what to do with a physical old desktop... Allocate for different purpose/use what I can think of e.g. 1x Win98 (I know it sounds silly but its for old games that can handle sounds and graphics yet Oracle Virtual machine doesn't have that capacity to get from A-Z). The point I'm trying to make is having very good specs on one single board computer to buy without buying another Raspberry Pi e.g. I asked a friend who owned the first Raspberry Pi and I said to him "Are you going to buy another Raspberry Pi in future?" and he said "No". That's is his choice.

Here comes down to single boards rivals. So far I have seen some unknown companies (not going to mention brand names) have made 2GB RAM (more than 2GB RAM), 1 Gigabit Ethernet Port, power button and reset button and USB 3.0 port/s that I have seen. What is Raspberry Pi Foundation going to do (Eben Upton still wont listen to the users request) if they want users to support their brand? The Single boards technology are moving fasts. If Raspberry Pi Foundation doesn't make Raspberry Pi 4 with 2 GB RAM and Ethernet port that I want to buy (forget it about the same form factor) then they miss out a train (train is gone).

Whats on your take on other single boards computer (other brand names) of what they did by implementing this wonderful features/specs (USB 3.0 ports, power/reset buttons and many more)? Has Raspberry Pi Foundation missed out huge opportunity? Does Eben Upton don't want to listen user's request anymore?

Thanks
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=155859&p=1017689#p1017689

YES YOU POSTED THIS TOTAL CRAP BEFORE AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED, PLEASE SEE:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=153766

Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:36 am

Threads like this very quickly turn to poo and end up getting locked.
**Ooops - checks the 'lock' box**

tinker1 - please do not start another thread on the same topic here. It will be locked and you may find yourself unable to post for a time, times and half a time
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Return to “General discussion”