jondallimore

Pi3 Touchscreen

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:31 pm

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a touchscreen for the Pi 3 that connects via the HDMI port and could draw power from a USB port on the pi?

I would like to be able to screw it to the wall about half a metre away from the Pi, so the official screen is not much good.

thanks
Jon

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Pi3 Touchscreen

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:07 pm

There are some 5in and 7in out there (search i.e. banggood.com).
You will not be able to power larger screens from USB.

jondallimore

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:12 pm

7inch is fine, and the priority is that I can site it away from the pi on a cable.

power via usb is preferrable, but not essential

DougieLawson

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:16 pm

This https://lilliputdirect.com/lilliput-fa1 ... NP%2FC%2FT is a lovely crisp clear 10.1" touchscreen. It's not powered by USB, needs a separate 12V supply, but it works beautifully with a RPi.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

jondallimore

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:18 pm

£210.... wow.

perhaps should have said - budget is around £50

DougieLawson

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:26 pm

jondallimore wrote:£210.... wow.

perhaps should have said - budget is around £50
You're going to have to compromise on resolution and/or size.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

jondallimore

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:29 pm

7inch is fine. would like resolution to be best possible, but not for a ridiculous price.

jondallimore

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:32 pm

found this, will have to look if theres a uk seller

http://www.waveshare.com/7inch-hdmi-lcd-b.htm

jondallimore

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:36 pm

hmm, the more i look the more Im thinking the official one and see if I can get extended cables for it.

CarlRJ

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:29 pm

Adafruit has a number of screens roughly meeting your specs; have you looked into them? The last one is particularly intriguing if you don't need anything else attached to the GPIO pins, and want minimal bulk; it's more or less a Hat for the Pi that allows direct connection of a DPI-based screen (and they have a 7" touchscreen panel for it), with minimal bulk, using a comparatively unknown (but official) capability of the Pi to route the signals from the GPU out to the GPIO connector.

blc

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:03 pm

I have a Waveshare 7" LCD which has an HDMI interface and 1024*600 resolution. I can use the touchscreen natively in Raspbian (provided you apt-get update/upgrade) with no third party drivers. I found it at £46 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waveshare-Capa ... B015E8EDYQ

You can probably find it cheaper somewhere like banggood, gearbest, aliexpress, etc, but made sure you get the "(C)" revision: http://www.waveshare.com/wiki/7inch_HDMI_LCD_(C). The earlier versions don't use a standard HID interface and you'll be lucky to get the touchscreen working; Waveshare don't provide source code or drivers, only a modified OS image (which violates GPL) or binaries.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: You can power it with a single cable to a Pi3, as long as you have a good quality PSU.

jondallimore

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:14 pm

I saw this earlier but couldnt find a uk supplier. Perfect!

When you say a good power supply - Im running my pi off a 2.5A mains adapter, would that be good enough?

Is it easy to set up? Im in the middle of developing some python to switch an immersion heater on and off, so would rather not have to mess around too much with a screen.

AJB2K3

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:16 pm

Another supporter of waveshare screens here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK-efGby8EQ

Mine in use but the picture quality is bad because my video camera is an iPhone.

That is the touchscreen one (brought on ebay UK) using a mouse because my 5.1 usb soundcard is interfering with the HID touchscreen interface on it.
That is the waveshare screen.
Back in the old days, we were smarter then the technology.
Nowadays technology makes us look like villages fools in front of the children!

jondallimore

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:20 pm

Im liking the waveshare but the reviews on amazon seem to be saying the screen works fine, but the touch side of things is a pig to set up.
Its the touch bit I want to be reliable and working well all the time. Has anyone got the touch aspect working?

Im liking the look of the display, but you're right, iphones are crap.

jondallimore

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:23 pm

I'm also thinking about making a nice wooden frame for the screen... polished oak maybe...

Oh crap, thats another project I've talked myself into...

jondallimore

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:13 pm

just ordered a 7inch waveshare screen...

:-)

JimmyN

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:40 pm

jondallimore wrote:I'm also thinking about making a nice wooden frame for the screen... polished oak maybe...

Oh crap, thats another project I've talked myself into...
Here is the first display stand I made, right after the display came it. Later ones I built didn't have the ugly gap around the USB/Ethernet ports, and the stand was made a little wider to make the ports flush with the side. (you learn by doing). That stand is done in mahogany, looks pretty good with the black screen and black desktop. viewtopic.php?f=40&t=121434

jondallimore

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:47 pm

Ive got the advantage of wanting it screwed to the wall. I should be able to keep the frame fairly simple. :) The pi is already in a case, so I dont need to mount that either.
Yours is nice though.

AJB2K3

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:05 am

jondallimore wrote:Im liking the waveshare but the reviews on amazon seem to be saying the screen works fine, but the touch side of things is a pig to set up.
Its the touch bit I want to be reliable and working well all the time. Has anyone got the touch aspect working?

Im liking the look of the display, but you're right, iphones are crap.
First time around they are a pig to set up, but once you find the discussion in the addons forum then all is good.
Back in the old days, we were smarter then the technology.
Nowadays technology makes us look like villages fools in front of the children!

blc

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:02 pm

jondallimore wrote:I saw this earlier but couldnt find a uk supplier. Perfect!

When you say a good power supply - Im running my pi off a 2.5A mains adapter, would that be good enough?

Is it easy to set up? Im in the middle of developing some python to switch an immersion heater on and off, so would rather not have to mess around too much with a screen.
A 2.5A adapter should be fine.

There's a little bit to do in config.txt, but there are details on Waveshare's Wiki. Other than that, everything should work out of the box once you've done apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.

That is, as long as you get the "C" revision, not the A or B versions. Earlier models used either GPIO pins or non-standard touch interfaces, meaning that they were indeed a total pig to set up. The C revision which I linked to uses a standard HID USB class, meaning Raspbian recognises it natively as a touchscreen.

jondallimore

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:09 pm

got a c revision screen on its way.

the next project is to get the pi working off of a battery and solar panel, but thats some way down the line, probably a project for a couple of years time.

Return to “General discussion”