redpicman

Re: RepRapPro 3D Printer.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi everybody,

I was at the D&T with ICT show at the NEC a couple of weeks ago and on my way around the stands I spotted a 3D printer. Here is a link to there site and the machine I saw http://reprappro.com/Huxley. I think they were selling kits (yes you have to assenble it) for something like £435 ( this is a guess on my part, can\'t remember the exact price) and I was thinking would the Rasberry pi be able to work this device?

Is there anybody on the forum who could look at the site and tell me if the rasberry pi could run this machine? if it does then I might have to get myself on the good list for christmas ;) .

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:11 pm

It can, yes; we\'ve had some very interesting conversations with the RepRap guys about the printer and Raspberry Pi. I\'m sure you\'ll see the software needed to run it ported to Raspi very soon after we get some beta boards out into the community.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Montekuri

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:15 pm

As I read in the page:
The kit includes all components required to get you printing. Software to run the machine is also provided, including the firmware for the electronics.
The machine will work by itself.

redpicman

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:16 pm

There is an electronic driver board, but I think you still need a pc to use it.

liz

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:21 pm

[quote]Quote from redpicman on November 30, 2011, 14:16
There is an electronic driver board, but I think you still need a pc to use it.
[/quote]

That\'s right, you do. A Linux PC, at that.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Warringer

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Porting it to the Pi should be relatively easy.

Essentially recompiling it with the ARM as target.

crundy

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:53 pm

I note that the driver boards are the most expensive part of building a reprap (about $200). Would it be possible to replace the board with an R-Pi and a gertboard? Then you could have the pc and the controller as an all-in-one setup.

davidgoodenough

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:04 pm

The Gertboard is not quite what you need.  You need Stepper motor drivers such as the Pololu modules.  Some of the electronics for RepRaps (there are many forms) come as arduino boards with added sheild (e.g. the RAMPS board), others merge the logic of the arduino into a single board.

This is then USB attached to a PC which runs either Java or Python or Perl code that takes the 3D model, slices it, generated GCode and finally feeds that to the arduino board that drives the steppers.

Getting the host code to run on the Raspberry Pi is not a problem.  However the arduino code is running without an OS, running in real time and doing it direct from Linux is difficult unless you have a real time kernel and do lots of low level coding.

The other problem is that to run a RepRap you need a minimum of 17 GPIO output ports, 3 input ports and 2 analog ports, so replacing the PC with a Pi is no problem, but replacing the arduino board as well will be a problem.

The BeagleBone is probably a better match.  It has enough GPIO ports, comes with analog ports, and has a subsystem called a PRUSS which is rather like having a build in arduino to do the real time bits.  But even that will need a shield which has the Pololu modules and some MOSFETS (to run the extruder heater and the heated bed) on it.

However as I said above if you stick with the traditional electronics for a RepRap you can perfectly well drive that from a Raspberry-Pi using a USB connection - all the software runs well on Linux, and none of it will present any difficulty when it comes to using ARM versions.

crundy

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:59 am

Nice explanation. Thanks for that.

Return to “General discussion”