lumsdot

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 on ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:49 pm

problems i get are

In the address bar i get a yellow message saying unsupported command line flag -no-sandbox

when trying to watch youtube videos i keep getting a snowy blank video saying an error has occurred

sometimes youtube videos play, but if i pause or move to a different part of the video or change resolution, the video picture freezes.

this is on a pi3 with gpu mem=256

chromium version Version 51.0.2704.91 Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on Raspbian 8.0

the video addon h264ify has been installed

Browsing other websites is fine, but youtube is very hit or miss.

In chromium ver 50 i did get 720p video playing inside the browser, but that was after oclocking my pi to 1300
Last edited by lumsdot on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:52 pm

gkreidl wrote: I'll run some more tests tomorrow and will report back.
John (the guy working on the HW acceleration) is looking into the Vimeo issue.
Report an example URL from any site that fails to play.
We are most interested in sites that play video using kusti8's non-hw-accelerated Chromium builds, but fail with this build.
(e.g. flash video won't play with either).

If you are aware of any streaming video that uses MPEG-4, MPEG-2 or VC-1 then we would be interested in URLs
as that should be supported but has never been tested (but possibly just doesn't exist as a web standard).

gkreidl

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:14 pm

dom wrote:
gkreidl wrote: I'll run some more tests tomorrow and will report back.
John (the guy working on the HW acceleration) is looking into the Vimeo issue.
Report an example URL from any site that fails to play.
We are most interested in sites that play video using kusti8's non-hw-accelerated Chromium builds, but fail with this build.
(e.g. flash video won't play with either).

If you are aware of any streaming video that uses MPEG-4, MPEG-2 or VC-1 then we would be interested in URLs
as that should be supported but has never been tested (but possibly just doesn't exist as a web standard).
MPEG2 TS streams don't work, Chromium starts to download them instead. They work in other browsers, but I suppose the demuxers are missing in chromium. More tomorrow.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

gkreidl

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:06 am

I've run some more tests.

The freezing effect on youtube can be best provoked by switching between 360p and cinema mode. It doesn't always happen but by switching back and forth repeatedly I'm always getting frozen video sooner or later.

chromium seems to be very pricky about server software. Connecting to my transcoding server (based on http-launch) results in a very low frame rate. But if I record the same streeam to a file and take this as source of an HTML5 video tag it runs in perfect speed. If I try to use video from my local media server (Python based) I do not get any video at all (but all of this works in epiphany and kweb3). But if I put the video files on my lighttpd server, they work really well. 720p files even play much better than with the webkit3 engine (epiphany or kweb3): no or very few frames lost.

I can play youtube video without the h264ify extension (using the extended firmware which supports VP6 and VP8), but I'm getting the same stop and go effect that I used to have with the software codecs, before I disabled the Media Source API in the chrome flags (which is not possible any more in version 51).

@dom: I send you a PM with some links to pages which can be used for testing.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

lumsdot

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:30 am

Does anyone know how to go back to ver 50? then i could back up my pi.
I dont mind trying new versions, just wish i had backed up first

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:53 am

lumsdot wrote:Does anyone know how to go back to ver 50? then i could back up my pi.
I dont mind trying new versions, just wish i had backed up first
First and foremost this BETA was to test usability on the ARMv6 RPi's your RPi is an ARMv8

Just change the Sources List ie remove dev, reversing the change that you made:

This Chromium is available from my repository in the dev branch. Because of it's higher version number, it will be upgraded if you add the branch. If you already have my repository (you already ran the instructions previously), simply add dev to the end of "deb http://dl.bintray.com/kusti8/chromium-rpi jessie main" in /etc/apt/sources.list and sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
If you don't have my repo:
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C ARM32 SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

dom

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:39 am

lumsdot wrote: In the address bar i get a yellow message saying unsupported command line flag -no-sandbox
Yes - we have a couple of patches for that. One disables the message. The other makes the sandbox work but requires updated userland libs. We'll probably switch to the second scheme at some point, but it makes testing a bit harder, either requiring rpi-update or building userland from source. Obviously for next raspbian release we'll bump to latest userland.

Koeshi

Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:30 pm

kusti8 wrote:a beta chromium that can work on a Pi1 or Pi0 and has H264 and AVC video acceleration.
So when this is stable and sorted will changes be made to the Pi2/3 chromium build so that video plays properly without the need for add-ons?

(Forgive me if I am misunderstanding the current state of things, haven't had a chance to boot into Raspbian for over a month.)

kusti8

Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Koeshi wrote:
kusti8 wrote:a beta chromium that can work on a Pi1 or Pi0 and has H264 and AVC video acceleration.
So when this is stable and sorted will changes be made to the Pi2/3 chromium build so that video plays properly without the need for add-ons?

(Forgive me if I am misunderstanding the current state of things, haven't had a chance to boot into Raspbian for over a month.)
Yes probably.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Gavinmc42

Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:08 am

Yippee.

I use dygraphs.js on my IoT Pi's to do the data plotting.
Now I finally have a Pi browser that works, just tested it on B and 3.
Don't need PC with Chrome/Firefox to look at data.

View home automation/solar panel/weather stuff on my TV ;)
Wonder if it works with my Pi security cams?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

bensimmo

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:28 am

Can you test performance on YouTube normal and YouTube/TV the TV style interface?

I have to have another look and check things but /TV had terrible video playback compared to the standard web layout.

It was only a brief 10 mins of playing around after installing. My memory is set to the default of 256MB iirc. (Or does it really have to be just 192 and nothing else?)

I have that 264ify installed.

I updated from the 'normal' release.(unfortunately didn't test either YouTube layout site in that.)

Figured if it didn't work well on the Pi3 it's not going to be too good on my others, but will have a look.

tulga72

Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:26 pm

So I am confused, this is for the armv6, and the pi 3 is armv8... Everyone is taking about they cannot do full screen 720p HD in Chromium browser unless they use the kweb? or rpi-youtube plugin.

What I do not get is how 'CJNK' on Youtube is able to do it (and yes I have read the responses by Kusti, on how he isn't doing it right, and that it is all wrong, etc. Ad nauseam). The fact is that CJNK is able to do it with ease full screen 720p youtube, and it works just fine, and he shows how to enable hardware acceleration for the OpenGL drive r as well in the text file.
see: https://youtu.be/CNZZpdGK6aM

Apparently he also customized a Raspbian/Debian Jessie image for performance and media.
see: https://youtu.be/BDaak5W2mSk

kusti8

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:07 pm

tulga72 wrote:So I am confused, this is for the armv6, and the pi 3 is armv8... Everyone is taking about they cannot do full screen 720p HD in Chromium browser unless they use the kweb? or rpi-youtube plugin.

What I do not get is how 'CJNK' on Youtube is able to do it (and yes I have read the responses by Kusti, on how he isn't doing it right, and that it is all wrong, etc. Ad nauseam). The fact is that CJNK is able to do it with ease full screen 720p youtube, and it works just fine, and he shows how to enable hardware acceleration for the OpenGL drive r as well in the text file.
see: https://youtu.be/CNZZpdGK6aM

Apparently he also customized a Raspbian/Debian Jessie image for performance and media.
see: https://youtu.be/BDaak5W2mSk
He has overclocked it heavily, is using an old version and had disabled a option. It is not HW accelerated like this, this provides better performance than this. I'm fine if he uses a different method, but he refuses to take suggestions and ignores me whenever I try and help him. He also doesn't give credit here, not that I want it, but so any questions can be asked here.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:19 pm

tulga72 wrote:So I am confused, this is for the armv6, and the pi 3 is armv8... Everyone is taking about they cannot do full screen 720p HD in Chromium browser unless they use the kweb? or rpi-youtube plugin.
If you have a Raspberry Pi 3B then try his suggestions, though you may get Youtube as you wish, but
will it impact other software you are running ?? be interesting to know the outcome of your experience. :)
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C ARM32 SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

tulga72

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:21 pm

kusti8 wrote:He has overclocked it heavily, is using an old version and had disabled a option. It is not HW accelerated like this, this provides better performance than this. I'm fine if he uses a different method, but he refuses to take suggestions and ignores me whenever I try and help him. He also doesn't give credit here, not that I want it, but so any questions can be asked here.
Honestly, his custom OS image looks awesome, I am definitely gonna give his version a try I think.

He uses Chromium v50, and says this about it:
Changes to Chromium browser above v50 remove the 'media souce api' flag, and negatively impact playback capabilities on Youtube.

As a result, Chromium browser updating is held back. If you want to enable Chromium browser version updating, and understand this may break flash hardware acceleration (if enabled),
and Youtube/ other video content playback quality, then run following:

Copy/Paste the following into terminal, then hit 'enter':

sudo apt-mark unhold chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra chromium-browser chromium-browser-l10n
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get Install chromium-browser
So, is this not hardware acceleration enabled?
Enable OpenGL 2D/3D GPU driver, and enable hardware-accelerated rendering for Chromium browser, HTML5/Youtube, and Flash Player video content

note- openGL driver is unstable (beta).

copy/paste both of the following lines into terminal, then hit 'enter' key:

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

open:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt

add:
# Disable boot rainbow splash
disable_splash=1

save and exit
--------
-------

open:
sudo nano /etc/chromium-browser/default

comment "#" out flag line like so:
# CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--disable-gpu"

save and exit

--------
-------

Enable chromium hardware acceleration

in chromium browser address bar, enter:
chrome://flags

find, and enable:
Override software rendering list

restart chromium
---------
--------

open:
sudo raspi-config:

scroll to '9' advanced options-
select 'AB' enable gl driver

then:
scroll to '9' advanced options-
select 'A3' memory split, set it to '128', then select 'ok'

(you can also set the gpu_memory split in menu/raspberry pi configuration/performance tab, or via 'sudo nano /boot/config.txt')

select 'Finish'

Select 'Yes' to reboot

note- setting gpu memory split over 190 may result in a boot failure due to insufficient memory.
---------

kusti8

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:27 pm

There are a few issues with that:
1. There is no such thing as HW accelerated flash, even with the OpenGL driver, as shown by the inability to play flash videos smoothly.
2. The OpenGL driver is experimental. I have played with it and Chromium and found it is not stable. Videos will not work after a few minutes and the webpage rendering is maybe even slower than software and holds no improvement. This version has HW acceleration for videos without the OpenGL driver and has problems, but doesn't break everything else.
3. V51 will not break flash, it breaks the smooth youtube viewing, which already has a workaround discussed in that thread.
4. His chromium instructions, although they work, are not simple and could be changed, but he refuses to listen. I allow choice, which is why I am keeping older versions up on my repo. I complain about it when it comes up because he wouldn't listen before he was banned and still won't.

gkreidl

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Some of this discussion (last few threads) is simply based on missing knowledge.

1) The HW accelerated version runs on all RPis, including the RPi3. Some other things may be slower, because it is compiled for ARMv6, but I haven't really noticed any difference. Video (youtube only, at the moment) is definitely working much better than with any software codecs.

2) There is a problem with chromium 51, but that is caused by the chromium-developers who are adding new technologies all the time and don't care about efficiency on small computers. BTW, Firefox is much worse in this area (web video is unusable). But you don't need any special Raspbian image if you want to use chromium 50 and disable the special flag (Media Source API), which has been removed in chromium 51. Chromium 50 is in kusti8's repository and it's possible to block any upgrades to later versions.

3) Even with HW acceleration it is not possible to get the same high performance as with omxplayer. The (HW) decoded video has to be copied back to the frame buffer in real time and that will never be as efficient as omxplayer, where the decoded video is directly displayed by the GPU in a video overlay. It's nice to have web video running inside a browser window, but if you want to enjoy web video in really high quality and screen resolution the additional methods (built into kweb or added to chromium by kusti8's extension) have to be used.

Edit: I wrote this before I read kusti8's reply.

tulga72

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:45 pm

kusti8 wrote:There are a few issues with that:
1. There is no such thing as HW accelerated flash...
Then I am confused, what does this mean then on the Pi 3 chromium browser with pepperflash ?

Sure seems like the flash player wants to use hardware acceleration to me...

gkreidl wrote: It's nice to have web video running inside a browser window, but if you want to enjoy web video in really high quality and screen resolution the additional methods (built into kweb or added to chromium by kusti8's extension) have to be used.
I don't know about anyone else, but smooth playback, full screen in 720p in the browser is good enough for me. CJNK's mod/OS can do that and it doesn't require "additional methods" such as kweb or rpi-youtube extensions to be used.

It is almost like you and Kusti are trying to get me to add unnecessary stuff that isn't really needed. Why is that?

Kusti also goes out of his way to slam CJNK, when from all accounts his method seems to do the job quite well as a matter of fact. People are also posting on Youtube that his custom Debian Jessie OS is better than the Foundation's Raspbian Jessie version.

Last edited by tulga72 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kusti8

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:05 pm

I'm not telling you to install anything. I just saw a gap where a extension that would allow smooth video and wrote a program. I don't know why you feel like this is imposed on you.

The instructions for flash there were lifted off of gkreidl 's instructions. Those use Pepperflash to play, since there is no native flash. Adobe may say that it is using HW acceleration, but in reality it is not. There's a simple test for this. If you can watch a 720p flash video smoothly then it's HW accelerated. And I don't know if this is meant to be with the OpenGL driver, which doesn't work well with videos anyway.

I'm just trying to point out things in the instructions.

Edit: You added more to your post: I'm explaining my experiences with him that have been quite frustrating. I am frustrated with him for many reasons that I have already explained. Feel free to use whatever you like. I'm just pointing out things in the instructions that I see. I don't see how that is viewed as "slamming." I am trying to see if Flash is accelerated with the OpenGL driver, but the lack of 720p videos are proving difficult and I don't know if it would show up in vcdbg reloc. But this is not the place to discuss this as we have veered very off topic.

I respect your decisions, but I am sharing my own experiences in that it may prove some worth to anyone trying this. It just so happens all of my experiences have been negative.
Last edited by kusti8 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gkreidl

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:42 pm

tulga72 wrote:
kusti8 wrote:There are a few issues with that:
1. There is no such thing as HW accelerated flash...
Then I am confused, what does this mean then on the Pi 3 chromium browser with pepperflash ?

Sure seems like the flash player wants to use hardware acceleration to me...

gkreidl wrote: It's nice to have web video running inside a browser window, but if you want to enjoy web video in really high quality and screen resolution the additional methods (built into kweb or added to chromium by kusti8's extension) have to be used.
I don't know about anyone else, but smooth playback, full screen in 720p in the browser is good enough for me. CJNK's mod/OS can do that and it doesn't require "additional methods" such as kweb or rpi-youtube extensions to be used.

It is almost like you and Kusti are trying to get me to add unnecessary stuff that isn't really needed. Why is that?

Kusti also goes out of his way to slam CJNK, when from all accounts his method seems to do the job quite well as a matter of fact. People are also posting on Youtube that his custom Debian Jessie OS is better than the Foundation's Raspbian Jessie version.

Nobody is forcing you to add stuff you don't want. In fact, you only get these additional things when you install the additional packages and that's up to you.
I've simply explained some facts (and kusti8 also).

dom

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:34 pm

There are two types of hardware acceleration Chomium could use.
hardware video acceleration
hardware rendering acceleration

The first uses the H.264 (or possibly MPEG-4, MPEG-2, VC-1) hardware block on the GPU and is essential for HD video decode.
The second uses the 3D hardware of the GPU and improves blitting/composition performance. It won't help video decode but may reduce some of the blitting after decode. It won't help you play HD video but may improve SD video.

You will only get hardware video acceleration from these builds. No other web browsers include any code for hardware video decode.
The only other option is using a plugin to launch omxplayer externally (but it won't play embedded inside the webpage) which works with a number of different browsers.

Koeshi

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:58 pm

tulga72 wrote: Kusti also goes out of his way to slam CJNK, when from all accounts his method seems to do the job quite well as a matter of fact. People are also posting on Youtube that his custom Debian Jessie OS is better than the Foundation's Raspbian Jessie version.
I think it is a little unfair to say that he is slamming CJNK but that is besides the point. If I am correct he used to be a user called Rize and while his setup does work and improve performance, it is worth bearing in mind that he had to use a desktop PC fan in order to prevent his Pi from melting due to the amount that he overclocked it.

bensimmo

Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:24 pm

How's this coming along, I still have slow performance on https://www.youtube.com/tv compared to www.youtube.com
(Pi3)

How long before we'll see a Pi3 targeted version 51?

Keep up this excellent work :-D

kusti8

Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:26 pm

bensimmo wrote:How's this coming along, I still have slow performance on https://www.youtube.com/tv compared to http://www.youtube.com
(Pi3)

How long before we'll see a Pi3 targeted version 51?

Keep up this excellent work :-D
I had no idea about that website. Is it the videos or just overall performance. What do you mean a Pi3 targeted version? There is no performance difference in a ARMv6 and a ARMv7 or ARMv8 build.

bensimmo

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:59 pm

Ah must have been a misunderstanding of a few previous post and the posts here by you in a reply above.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=157049&start=50#p1025270

My post was a few under that, it was pretty much the video. The interface was just a slow.

I will test some more when I get the chance. (And on the zero/B+)

Return to “General discussion”