HermannSW

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 on ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:57 am

kusti8 wrote:I still have no idea where you got 12 seconds from. Can you take a video?
Thanks for taking the time to investigate.

I had a terminal open in parallel to Chromium (nothing else) and did run "top" in that. I pressed "s 1" to make top refresh every second. After clicking on "General Discusssion" link as described immediately CPU usage (of 2 chromium browser processes together) went >90%, and it took 12 seconds until the CPU went down from 90% (to <10%, quickly then).

I don't have a HDMI capable monitor here at my secondary living place. And in my Böblingen lab office where I have, I am not allowed to connect personal computers with the IBM intranet (not even a Pi Zero). So Chromium/Epiphany investigation with Pi Zero connected to HDMI monitor will have to wait until Thursday when I will be back home (overhead of running either via "ssh -X 10.42.43.10" is big and would give different results).

My Pi Zero was connected to internet in the afternoon via an SPI connected ENC28J60 ethernet adaapter, I tested the speed via http://testmynet.com as 4.8Mbps in the afternoon. Details on the setup are described in this forum posting, a sample graph showing 4.7Mbps testmy.net speed at that time and comparison with 90Mbps speed of Ubuntu desktop with same ethernet cable is contained in that posting as well:
viewtopic.php?p=1015300#p1015300

Hermann.

In the afternoon the Pi Zero was connected differently as in this photo:
  • power from power micro USB connector
  • wireless keyboard+mouse via the other micro USB connector
  • monitor via HDMI connector
  • ethernet via GPIO connected ENC28J60

Because of this Chromium thread and wanting to know how fast a 1.2GHz quad core A7 with HDMI could do (Chromium), I did order a NanoPi M1 yesterday for 13$ + 5$ shipping although my initial plan was not to do so because the 8$ NanoPi Neos did fit my needs sofar (M1 without GPU and HDMI) ...
bookmark list: https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/en/Raspberry_camera.html

https://github.com/Hermann-SW/fork-raspiraw      https://github.com/Hermann-SW/userland
https://github.com/Hermann-SW/wireless-control-Eachine-E52-drone      https://twitter.com/HermannSW

kusti8

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:03 pm

Well, that's not an accurate test. Testing when the CPU goes down is not accurate. I tested until the page fully loaded. The CPU is sort of like RAM, there's no use of it if it is always idling. So Chromium may use the CPU more after it has finished rendering a page, but that does not affect the speed. The speed is how fast it can load a page, not CPU usage.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

kusti8

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:10 pm

cjan wrote:
kusti8 wrote:
cjan wrote:does it conflict pepper-plugin?
No it shouldn't
embed flash video can not play.
You obviously need to give more information. What did you test and does the Adobe flash website load. Flash video probably won't work. Give more details about what you did.

Kratos

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:38 pm

Like the others, I got the little banner at the top warning about the sandbox thing. I was wondering, do you have to install the rpi-youtube package to get HW video acceleration on YouTube?

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

kusti8

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:40 pm

Kratos wrote:Like the others, I got the little banner at the top warning about the sandbox thing. I was wondering, do you have to install the rpi-youtube package to get HW video acceleration on YouTube?

Kratos
On this version, no. It plays directly in the browser. Just make sure you have the gpu mem to 192 and have h264ify.

Kratos

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:15 pm

When visiting this page:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeKXvINnk04

None of the thumbnails are displayed and the video fails to play. The command line output goes like this:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/$ chromium-browser 
[20348:20348:0815/080753:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(219)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/linux_suid_sandbox_development.md for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
[20348:20378:0815/080759:ERROR:ssl_client_socket_openssl.cc(1132)] handshake failed; returned 0, SSL error code 1, net_error -113
[20348:20378:0815/080759:ERROR:ssl_client_socket_openssl.cc(1132)] handshake failed; returned 0, SSL error code 1, net_error -113
[20581:20581:0815/080903:ERROR:PlatformKeyboardEvent.cpp(117)] Not implemented reached in static PlatformEvent::Modifiers blink::PlatformKeyboardEvent::getCurrentModifierState()
[20631:20631:0815/080907:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(334)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process
usrvcsm: [vcsm_malloc_cache]: [20581] [mmal_vc_port buffer]: NULL size or invalid device!
usrvcsm: [vcsm_vc_hdl_from_hdl]: [20581]: invalid device or handle!
usrvcsm: [vcsm_lock]: [20581]: invalid device or invalid handle!
mmal: mmal_vc_shm_alloc: could not allocate 8355840 bytes of shared memory (handle 0)
mmal: mmal_vc_port_payload_alloc: vc.ril.resize:out:0(BGRA): failed to allocate 8355840 bytes of shared memory
mmal: mmal_pool_initialise_buffer_headers: failed to allocate payload 0/7
#### resize_create: Output pool creation Failed.
#### ffmmal_set_resizer: Cannot create resize block
I do have the h264ify extension installed, and 256 MiB for GPU. I am running it on Ubuntu MATE, but I got the same error on Raspbian Jessie. Otherwise, Chromium works great!

EDIT: No images are displayed anywhere. Where the picture should be, there are just white spaces.

Kratos
Last edited by Kratos on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kusti8

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:18 pm

Hmm. I don't know. I'll see if anyone else has anything to say.

Edit: can you take a picture?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:39 pm

Kratos wrote:When visiting this page:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeKXvINnk04

None of the thumbnails are displayed and the video fails to play. The command line output goes like this:

[email protected]:~/$ chromium-browser 
[20348:20348:0815/080753:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(219)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/linux_suid_sandbox_development.md for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
[20581:20581:0815/080903:ERROR:PlatformKeyboardEvent.cpp(117)] Not implemented reached in static PlatformEvent::Modifiers blink::PlatformKeyboardEvent::getCurrentModifierState()
[20631:20631:0815/080907:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(334)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process
usrvcsm: [vcsm_malloc_cache]: [20581] [mmal_vc_port buffer]: NULL size or invalid device!
usrvcsm: [vcsm_vc_hdl_from_hdl]: [20581]: invalid device or handle!
usrvcsm: [vcsm_lock]: [20581]: invalid device or invalid handle!
mmal: mmal_vc_shm_alloc: could not allocate 8355840 bytes of shared memory (handle 0)
mmal: mmal_vc_port_payload_alloc: vc.ril.resize:out:0(BGRA): failed to allocate 8355840 bytes of shared memory
mmal: mmal_pool_initialise_buffer_headers: failed to allocate payload 0/7
#### resize_create: Output pool creation Failed.
#### ffmmal_set_resizer: Cannot create resize block
I do have the h264ify extension installed, and 256 MiB for GPU. I am running it on Ubuntu MATE, but I got the same error on Raspbian Jessie. Otherwise, Chromium works great!

EDIT: No images are displayed anywhere. Where the picture should be, there are just white spaces.

Kratos
I was not aware Ubuntu was compatible with ARMv6 RPi's ??
Adieu

Kratos

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:43 pm

It is not. My bad. Wow, I completely missed the title...Sorry about that... :oops: I guess we now know that it does not work on a Pi 2.

Kratos

kusti8

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Kratos wrote:It is not. My bad. Wow, I completely missed the title...Sorry about that... :oops: I guess we now know that it does not work on a Pi 2.

Kratos
It does work on a Pi2 and Pi3. You say the same thing happens on Jessie. Is it maybe your Internet?

cjan

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:47 pm

kusti8 wrote:
cjan wrote:
kusti8 wrote:No it shouldn't
embed flash video can not play.
You obviously need to give more information. What did you test and does the Adobe flash website load. Flash video probably won't work. Give more details about what you did.
some web site had youtube embed video but with flash mode, it just black window did not play, but can see pepper plugin running otherwise flash window is white with error mark.
ps. this issue did not happen with 51-armv7 version.

kusti8

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:48 pm

I'll look.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Kratos wrote:It is not. My bad. Wow, I completely missed the title...Sorry about that... :oops: I guess we now know that it does not work on a Pi 2.

Kratos
There is already a stable RPi 2 & 3 Chromium version 51 do these issues manifest on this version.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=121195
Adieu

Kratos

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:52 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:

Kratos
There is already a stable RPi 2 & 3 Chromium version 51 do these issues manifest on this version.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=121195
I don't think so, just a sec, I'll check to be sure.

Kratos

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Kratos wrote: mmal: mmal_vc_shm_alloc: could not allocate 8355840 bytes of shared memory (handle 0)

Looks to be out of gpu memory, but could be some sort of config issue.

What is output of (on raspbian jessie assuming that fails with same message):

vcgencmd version
uname -a
vcgencmd get_mem gpu

Kratos

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:59 pm

On the previous version, the video plays just fine, albeit jerkily.

Kratos

Kratos

Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:05 pm

dom wrote:
Kratos wrote: mmal: mmal_vc_shm_alloc: could not allocate 8355840 bytes of shared memory (handle 0)

Looks to be out of gpu memory, but could be some sort of config issue.

What is output of (on raspbian jessie assuming that fails with same message):

vcgencmd version
uname -a
vcgencmd get_mem gpu
I'll do that as soon as I get it back up and running. I am trying Chromium on a vanilla Raspbian Jessie to eliminate experimental error.

Kratos

gkreidl

Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:37 pm

I did some testing, not on a older model, but on a RPi 3.
Youtube does work, in a way, after installing the H264fy, but not very reliably. If I switch the resolution between 360p and 720pm (cinema mode) or when I move to different positions in the video the video blocks after a while (sound does play on). Starting/Stopping the video won't help then. You have to leave the page and open it again to get the video running again.
Other websites don't work at all: vimeo.com for example or tv streams from zdf.de (Germany only). All of those work in epiphany or kweb3 (using HW acceleration) or in kweb without any HW acceleration.

I built a small HTML5 video page. The video scr points to my local TV transcoder serving an MKV stream with H264 encoding. It does play, but the frame rate is about 2 - 5 fps. Even without HW decoding I can play it in kweb at full frame rate and of course also in epiphany or kweb3. Using chromium 50, it does play fluently (but with some hickups from time to time).

Basically this is a great idea, having a chromium version that runs on all RPis with some kind of HW acceleration for videos. But this is far from being perfect at the moment. A browser that restricts web video just to just youtube and doesn't work with any other website is really questionable.

And the "speed" of chromium and also firefox compared to webkit based browsers is due to the fact, that they use multiple threads / cores. On a single core machine this speed improvement gets lost.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

dom

Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:43 pm

gkreidl wrote:A browser that restricts web video just to just youtube and doesn't work with any other website is really questionable.
What do you mean by this? There is no youtube specific code in this build. Any H.264 video (and in theory MPEG-4, MPEG-2, VC-1 if they exist) should be HW accelerated.
If not, that is a bug. Please report URLs for videos that don't play.

kusti8

Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:48 pm

I noticed too that all vimeo videos don't work. I don't know why it only works on YouTube. The speed of course benefits on multiple cores, but it crashes much less than Epiphany even though it is slower on a Pi0. It can support more websites.

Can you paste the output when you try and play a Vimeo video (the terminal)?

dom

Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:57 pm

gkreidl wrote: Youtube does work, in a way, after installing the H264fy, but not very reliably. If I switch the resolution between 360p and 720pm (cinema mode) or when I move to different positions in the video the video blocks after a while (sound does play on). Starting/Stopping the video won't help then. You have to leave the page and open it again to get the video running again.
Try to give explicit instructions of how to provoke a failure. Provide the URL you were testing and what sequence of operations is likely to cause the failure. How long does it take to fail. Can you repeat this failure every time?
We have someone working on this full time for the next month. Hopefully we can get this much more reliable in that time.

Note: We are aware of a crash in these builds that wasn't in kusti8's original builds (If you launch from command line you see "Floating point exception" when browser disappears).
Seems to occur randomly (sometimes when sitting there idly and sometimes when busy). Seems to be a build issue, but it is being looked into.

lumsdot

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:26 pm

I tried it but youtube keeps giving a frozen screen.

How do i revert back to ver 50 ?that works great on a pi 3

kusti8

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:28 pm

lumsdot wrote:I tried it but youtube keeps giving a frozen screen.

How do i revert back to ver 50 ?that works great on a pi 3
If you give more information and what you have tried, then we can help.

gkreidl

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:39 pm

dom wrote:
gkreidl wrote:A browser that restricts web video just to just youtube and doesn't work with any other website is really questionable.
What do you mean by this? There is no youtube specific code in this build. Any H.264 video (and in theory MPEG-4, MPEG-2, VC-1 if they exist) should be HW accelerated.
If not, that is a bug. Please report URLs for videos that don't play.
That's what I thought. Except for vimeo.com (which can be tested by anyone) I tried a German TV site (blocked by geolocation outside of Germany) and a local stream. I'll try to find more examples tomorrow.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

gkreidl

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:41 pm

dom wrote:
gkreidl wrote: Youtube does work, in a way, after installing the H264fy, but not very reliably. If I switch the resolution between 360p and 720pm (cinema mode) or when I move to different positions in the video the video blocks after a while (sound does play on). Starting/Stopping the video won't help then. You have to leave the page and open it again to get the video running again.
Try to give explicit instructions of how to provoke a failure. Provide the URL you were testing and what sequence of operations is likely to cause the failure. How long does it take to fail. Can you repeat this failure every time?
We have someone working on this full time for the next month. Hopefully we can get this much more reliable in that time.

Note: We are aware of a crash in these builds that wasn't in kusti8's original builds (If you launch from command line you see "Floating point exception" when browser disappears).
Seems to occur randomly (sometimes when sitting there idly and sometimes when busy). Seems to be a build issue, but it is being looked into.
I'll run some more tests tomorrow and will report back.

Return to “General discussion”