gkreidl
Posts: 5385
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:25 pm

kusti8 wrote:
DavidS wrote:At least on the RPi 2 the accelerated WebKit browsers have no trouble playing 1080i youtube videos full screen on a screen resolution of 1920x1200@16bpp. And that is using the HTML5 player in WebKit (accelerated for the RPi)..
Chromium is WebKit based (Blink is a fork of WebKit ) and this patch does pretty much what the patch for WebKit did, although with a more stable browser. I'll try it, but fullscreen should work and there are still a few more improvements planned.
The instability was introduced by the patches in webkit3 (epiphany) and debugging was never finished. We still have to see, how far we get this time.
Full screen video never worked in epiphany I'm not sure if it will work this time because basically it's the same process (and the same problem).
Although Blink was forked from webkit, it is very different now. Webkit uses gstreamer for media, Blink doesn't.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:27 pm

gkreidl wrote:
kusti8 wrote:
DavidS wrote:At least on the RPi 2 the accelerated WebKit browsers have no trouble playing 1080i youtube videos full screen on a screen resolution of 1920x1200@16bpp. And that is using the HTML5 player in WebKit (accelerated for the RPi)..
Chromium is WebKit based (Blink is a fork of WebKit ) and this patch does pretty much what the patch for WebKit did, although with a more stable browser. I'll try it, but fullscreen should work and there are still a few more improvements planned.
The instability was introduced by the patches in webkit3 (epiphany) and debugging was never finished. We still have to see, how far we get this time.
Full screen video never worked in epiphany I'm not sure if it will work this time because basically it's the same process (and the same problem).
Although Blink was forked from webkit, it is very different now. Webkit uses gstreamer for media, Blink doesn't.
Yeah. It looks better, but we'll have to see. Fingers crossed.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

dennmtr
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:06 pm
Location: Athens
Contact: Website

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:45 pm

u must config gpu mem ..boot/config.txt or else black screen after rpi-update
Last edited by dennmtr on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:54 pm

dennmtr wrote:dont even try this chromium, no boot after install
rpi freezes with black screen. no boot. i lost my image, i am lost
Well it is marked as experimental so I expect people to have a backup, but you are the first to report this. Exactly what steps did you do? Did you do anything else that may have changed your OS? What OS? You did the rpi-update? You need to provide exact details or nobody can help you.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

dennmtr
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:06 pm
Location: Athens
Contact: Website

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:02 pm

kusti8 wrote:
dennmtr wrote:dont even try this chromium, no boot after install
rpi freezes with black screen. no boot. i lost my image, i am lost
Well it is marked as experimental so I expect people to have a backup, but you are the first to report this. Exactly what steps did you do? Did you do anything else that may have changed your OS? What OS? You did the rpi-update? You need to provide exact details or nobody can help you.
u replied as i was editing my post. thx god it was a gpu mem value in /boot/config.txt. i comment out this and all its ok now

dennmtr
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:06 pm
Location: Athens
Contact: Website

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:33 pm

the video playback is absolutely smooth (+++) but,
i dont have sound, i dont know why and cpu load is still 80%, i think is normal for this arm device

during install i had preparekweb: not found error report too, ignored

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:35 pm

dennmtr wrote:the video playback is absolutely smooth (+++) but,
i dont have sound, i dont know why and cpu load is still 80%, i think is normal for this arm device
I don't understand. Have you had sound with other programs that produce sound like Sonic Pi? It may be a problem with your OS. How have you setup audio?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

dennmtr
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:06 pm
Location: Athens
Contact: Website

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:00 pm

i have sound in other apps, i will check this later because idont have time. surely is sth to do with my configuration

i will also refer for later, the problem was not the gpu mem setting to 128 that raspberry wont boot but, the problem was that after rpi-update, for installing this beta hw accelerated chromium, the new opengl driver option for hardware acceleration failed, so commenting dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d expect from gpu mem size boots my rpi successful. i had this option enabled before but there was no problem, it is sth to do with rpi-update

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:02 pm

dennmtr wrote:i have sound in other apps, i will check this later because idont have time. surely is sth to do with my configuration

i will also refer for later, the problem was not the gpu mem setting to 128 that raspberry wont boot but, the problem was that after rpi-update, for installing this beta hw accelerated chromium, the new opengl driver option for hardware acceleration failed, so commenting dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d expect from gpu mem size boots my rpi successful. i had this option enabled before but there was no problem, it is sth to do with rpi-update
Probably is something with your configuration. The OpenGL driver is also experimental and rpi-update is experimental as well, which is why you should have a backup and know how to revert the kernel and everything in case something goes wrong.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:22 pm

I just released a new version which only requires 64MB of GPU memory. Full screen 1080p video is acceptable and Cinematic mode 720p looks very good and smooth. THIS REQUIRES A NEW rpi-update TO GET THE LATEST FIRMWARE. Here is the README I was provided with:

Code: Select all

Release notes
=============

This version should run with gpu-mem=64 with the default switches. Having
said that this will only allow for 1 stream.  If you are playing >1 stream
(even transiently) then you will need more (say gpu_mem=128) and you will
need to set the --mmal-decoders option to the desired max number. The code
should give up cleanly if it cannot allocate a h/w video decoder and give
the stream to old-style ffmpeg decode, but as it stands in many cases it
thinks it has allocated a decoder cleanly only to find that it fails when
it tries to use it.

Needs firmware from "Sep 13 2016 17:01:56" or later to work properly
("vcgencmd version" will give the date).

There are a few command-line switches - in general you shouldn't use
them!

Copy-modes
----------

These are modes for getting frames out of mmal.  Current default is
--mmal-slice-copy if we think the firware supports it otherwise
--mmal-frame-copy. Explicit use of a copy mode option will override the
default regardless of whether or not we think the firmware supports the
selected option.  Only use one of of these flags.

--mmal-zero-copy         Pass gpu frames directly to chrome.  Chrome
buffers some frames and stalls if it doesn't get them. So this option
needs 6+ gpu frames allocated.  This is the fastest option but you
probably want to have gpu_mem=192 if you are going to use it.  Default
frame-buffers = 6 (8M each)

--mmal-frame-copy        Copy frame at a time out of mmal to chrome. Needs
2+ gpu frames for plausible performance.  Default frame-buffers = 2 (8M
each).  You probably want gpu-mem=80 for 1 decoder with this option.

--mmal-slice-copy        Copy frames out in 16-line slices.  Has the
lowest memory overhead, but the highest CPU load.  If this is selected
then --mmal-frame-buffers is the number of slice buffers. Default frame
buffers = 16 (~122k each)

Misc options
------------

--mmal-decoders=<n>      Set the number of mmal decoders we wil try to
create simultainiously. Default=1. If this number is exceeded then decoder
init will fail and chrome will fallback to ffmpeg decode.  There is no
panalty for setting this to a large number if you wish to have "unlimited"
decoders.  However if it is set too big and there isn't the gpu mem to
satisfy the requirements of the decode it may fail cleanly and revert to
software (ffmpeg) decode or init may appear to succeed and decode then
fails in an undefined manner.

--mmal-frame-buffers=<n> Set the number of gpu "frame" buffers (see
--mmal-xxx-copy). Change with care.

--mmal-red-pixel         Puts a red square in the top left of a frame
decoded by mmal so you can tell that it is active.  Doesn't work if
zero-copy is set.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

cjan
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:03 am

pepper plugin out of work.
.6000 -> ok
.7000 -> can not load plugin

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:29 pm

cjan wrote:pepper plugin out of work.
.6000 -> ok
.7000 -> can not load plugin
You need to give way more info to have any chance of solving this. The correct flags are now added by default.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

cjan
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:09 pm

kusti8 wrote:
cjan wrote:pepper plugin out of work.
.6000 -> ok
.7000 -> can not load plugin
You need to give way more info to have any chance of solving this. The correct flags are now added by default.
never mind, if you did not try urself and no one had this issue.

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:11 pm

cjan wrote:
kusti8 wrote:
cjan wrote:pepper plugin out of work.
.6000 -> ok
.7000 -> can not load plugin
You need to give way more info to have any chance of solving this. The correct flags are now added by default.
never mind, if you did not try urself and no one had this issue.
I have no idea what you mean. Can you please give more information?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:20 pm

Just found out the reason. Move the .json and .so files from /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins to /usr/lib/chromium-browser.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

cjan
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:57 pm

kusti8 wrote:Just found out the reason. Move the .json and .so files from /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins to /usr/lib/chromium-browser.
now you know what i am talking about.

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:58 pm

cjan wrote:
kusti8 wrote:Just found out the reason. Move the .json and .so files from /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins to /usr/lib/chromium-browser.
now you know what i am talking about.
:?: I can't test everything. If you had given more information than leaving me guessing, then it would have been done quicker. Giving little to no info helps no one in the long run.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

cjan
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:12 pm

kusti8 wrote:I can't test everything. If you had given more information than leaving me guessing, then it would have been done quicker. Giving little to no info helps no one in the long run.
are we live on different planet? --> .7000 can not load plugin
btw, you did not know what im talking about new GL firmware? --> .7000 cause youtube FC.

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:14 pm

cjan wrote:
kusti8 wrote:I can't test everything. If you had given more information than leaving me guessing, then it would have been done quicker. Giving little to no info helps no one in the long run.
are we live on different planet? --> .7000 can not load plugin
btw, you did not know what im talking about new GL firmware? --> .7000 cause youtube FC.
You are giving no details. What is FC? What about the GL? I cannot solve any problems if you don't give me anything to work with.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

cjan
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:23 pm

kusti8 wrote:
cjan wrote:
kusti8 wrote:I can't test everything. If you had given more information than leaving me guessing, then it would have been done quicker. Giving little to no info helps no one in the long run.
are we live on different planet? --> .7000 can not load plugin
btw, you did not know what im talking about new GL firmware? --> .7000 cause youtube FC.
You are giving no details. What is FC? What about the GL? I cannot solve any problems if you don't give me anything to work with.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=159853

aworan
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:09 am

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:22 pm

Youtube don't work with the new OpenGL driver option : dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

The page crach and I have this log in console :

[1589:1709:0919/191324:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(583)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
Received signal 8 <unknown> 00000000002c
#0 0x000055354420 base::debug::StackTrace::StackTrace()
#1 0x000055354370 base::debug::(anonymous namespace)::StackDumpSignalHandler()
#2 0x000075bdb1a0 <unknown>
[end of stack trace]

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:30 pm

Huh. I'll try it if I have some time. I have no idea about the OpenGL driver so I'll forward this to Dom who will hopefully know more about this than I do if I can replicate it.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:53 pm

I do seem to get the same error and I assume it's because of how this calls the GPU processes. I guess we'll have to wait until there is a fully compatible OpenGL version.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

aworan
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:09 am

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:41 pm

Ok I will wait :)
Thank for your great work !
It is somewhere I can find the patch code ?
Thank you

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: BETA: Chromium v51 ARMv6 w/ HW video acceleration (updat

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:43 pm

aworan wrote:Ok I will wait :)
Thank for your great work !
It is somewhere I can find the patch code ?
Thank you
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to release it and I don't want to right now. It is up to the RPF. If you're curious, it is just a extra file with MMAL calls.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “General discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Daniac, LtShinySides, n67, NiekW, RaTTuS and 68 guests