Doktor-X

Raspberry Pi 4 possible h.265 decoder?

Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:07 pm

Hello world :lol: Now can we expect pi 4 to have hardware h265 decoder, i currently have original 256mb bord and wanted to upgrade for smoother video experience and wanted to buy cheap china android tv box but i was wondering if pi in it's new release will have hardware decoder

kusti8

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 possible h.265 decoder?

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:28 pm

Doktor-X wrote:Hello world :lol: Now can we expect pi 4 to have hardware h265 decoder, i currently have original 256mb bord and wanted to upgrade for smoother video experience and wanted to buy cheap china android tv box but i was wondering if pi in it's new release will have hardware decoder
Nobody knows. Why? Because 4K is probably going to be a long ways away.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

blaablaaguy

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:34 pm

Doktor-X wrote:Hello world :lol: Now can we expect pi 4 to have hardware h265 decoder, i currently have original 256mb bord and wanted to upgrade for smoother video experience and wanted to buy cheap china android tv box but i was wondering if pi in it's new release will have hardware decoder
The pi 3 has just come out, and a pi 4 isnt going to be made till a long time. Noone knows what specs it will have. Theres been hundreds of threads like this and they all get locked.
This signature intentionally left blank.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:13 pm

Per Dr. Upton's comments at the time of the Pi3B launch, the next version of the Pi is two to three years away.

I can think of a number of things that would be more useful on a Pi than h.265 hardware decode.

DougieLawson

Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:06 pm

Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

solar3000

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Image
....still trying to fully understand british humour.
Antikythera

Gavinmc42

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:47 pm

T shirt should be pink or Rainbow coloured
I think only Aussies understand British humour.
Comes from growing up watching repeats of Benny Hill and Monty Python.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

ejolson

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:50 am

kusti8 wrote:Nobody knows. Why? Because 4K is probably going to be a long ways away.
Digital cinema cameras currently shoot 4K as do many consumer grade camcorders.

https://www.arri.com/camera/alexa/camer ... alexa-sxt/

http://www.red.com/products

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/ca ... 1000e.html

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/products/ ... /pid/44258

Since h264 includes 4K profiles since level 5, then 4K is not about h265 versus h264, but rather encoding efficiency.

Having h265 in hardware would be great, especially if it worked. At the same time, good openGL drivers are probably more important for people using the Pi to learn programming.

ric96

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:20 am

AFAIK
h.265/HEVC is coming to the current set of rasperry pis, it will run on the gpu using decoding similar to GPGPU i.e it will be software decoding but will still be faster as it would be running on the gpu.
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:22 am

ric96 wrote:AFAIK
h.265/HEVC is coming to the current set of rasperry pis, it will run on the gpu using decoding similar to GPGPU i.e it will be software decoding but will still be faster as it would be running on the gpu.
I suspect that running H265 on the GPU (on the vector cores and the Quads) would actually be slower than running NEON optimised code on the ARMs. And of course, incompatible with the new graphics driver which would also need to be using the quads.

H265 decode is possible on the ARM cores right now. Not sure what resolution and framerate though.

H265 HW encode/decode is a big job, requiring extremely fast HW and RAM. Broadcom have no VC4 codec experts any more (well, maybe some in the settop box division, if they haven't canned them all as well), so it would be a big ask for them to produce H265 in HW.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

6by9

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:08 am

Dom (aka popcornmix) has been doing lots of work on Kodi being able to play HEVC (aka H265) using a hybrid ARM and GPU implementation on a Pi3.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=266377
popcornmix Wrote:
It depends on many factors, but I can play ~10Mbit/s 1080p HEVC on overclocked Pi3 with no drops, which is very good quality.
Actually http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid ... pid2271695
It's true there's no h265 hardware decode support but there's been a lot of software optimisations recently from the RPi Foundation that have made 1080p h265 decode successful on RPi2 (particularly when sdram is overclocked) and on RPi3 (stock speeds), with more optimisations planned. This h265 argument is really getting a little old - try some of the recent OpenELEC/Kodi 17 builds.
So Pi2 is just about possible.

What goes in Pi4? Only those at Pi Towers know the plans there.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

blaablaaguy

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:27 am

This signature intentionally left blank.

spock

Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:27 pm

what video player does kodi use for hevc videos? omxplayer?

can i also get this to work on normal raspbian somehow? that would be awesome. kodi is nice, but i would prefer to keep my raspberry pi 3 general purpose. :)

W. H. Heydt

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:19 pm

spock wrote:what video player does kodi use for hevc videos? omxplayer?

can i also get this to work on normal raspbian somehow? that would be awesome. kodi is nice, but i would prefer to keep my raspberry pi 3 general purpose. :)
Get a second Pi....then you can have the best of both worlds. Then get a third, in case you think of another use, or you want to have a spare on hand....

You've heard of "crazy cat ladies"? Welcome to land of "crazy Pi people."

jamesh

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:18 pm

I'll ask tomorrow how it works, if I remember!
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

spock

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:16 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:Get a second Pi....then you can have the best of both worlds. Then get a third, in case you think of another use, or you want to have a spare on hand....

You've heard of "crazy cat ladies"? Welcome to land of "crazy Pi people."
i am a crazy pi person already. :) i have several pis for different purposes but at some point this also becomes a bit excessive and cumbersome. it would be more convenient for me if i could simply watch videos in raspbian (with the same formats supported as in kodi).
jamesh wrote:I'll ask tomorrow how it works, if I remember!
thanks! that would be nice! :)

Jednorozec

Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:19 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:You've heard of "crazy cat ladies"? Welcome to land of "crazy Pi people."
My Pis don't scratch me or sleep on my keyboard.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

CarlRJ

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:52 pm

Jednorozec wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:You've heard of "crazy cat ladies"? Welcome to land of "crazy Pi people."
I woke up this morning with a cat on me / because a cat was on me. My Pi's never do that. But I do have 5 times as many Pi's as cats, so yeah, crazy Pi person.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:40 pm

CarlRJ wrote:
Jednorozec wrote:
I woke up this morning with a cat on me / because a cat was on me. My Pi's never do that. But I do have 5 times as many Pi's as cats, so yeah, crazy Pi person.
One of my Pis wakes me up in the morning...but, then, it's programmed to do that.

jamesh

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:10 pm

jamesh wrote:

I'll ask tomorrow how it works, if I remember!
Forgot...soz. I'll try again tomorrow.

rtfmoz

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:57 am

I hear people referring to 4K however thats not really the main concern. The Raspberry Pi is unlikely to be designed for running 4K. It is an enthusiast device not a high end video display. The driving factor for h.265 support is this will become the mainstream. Essentially everything will be encoded using this format in the coming years. The Raspberry Foundation will need to ensure that h.265 decoding is on the architectural radar for future editions of the product. Version 4 may need architecture changes which lay the foundations for h.265 decoding in say version 5 of the product. Right now hybrid software/hardware decoding is being written by enthusiasts to try and get some of the work performed by the GPU but in future their will need to be a hardware decoding path for the product as long as its affordable.

dom

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:15 pm

No, omxplayer only handles pure gpu decoders.
HEVC is a hybrid using the 4 arm cores with NEON, plus two cores of VPU and 3D QPU hardware.
Its API is ffmpeg running on the arm but it offloads transform, intra, mot-comp and deblock to the GPU.

Kodi uses VideoPlayer with MMALFFmpeg acceleration for this.

Quite a lot of work was done on this early last year, but video acceleration for Chromium has taken precedence recently.
However HEVC work has now resumed.

It's hard to guarantee performance with a software decoder - it depends very much on the encoding options used.
Currently a stock Pi3 will play the vast majority of 720p24 8-bit HEVC files, and some 1080p24 files.
Overclocking increases the range of files that will play.

The aim is to increase the number of 1080p24 files that play as much as possible, but it's hard to predict how much further we can go.
We would also like to have some 10-bit HEVC support but the increased sdram bandwidth required will mean performance will be somewhat lower.

gkreidl

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:14 pm

German DVB-T will switch to T2 with 1080p50 H265 in about 6 weeks. I think that's a job which the current RPi will not be able to do.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

jamesh

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:46 pm

gkreidl wrote:German DVB-T will switch to T2 with 1080p50 H265 in about 6 weeks. I think that's a job which the current RPi will not be able to do.
Really? Presumably they will support H264 as well, because much of the installed based of TV won't support H265.

gkreidl

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:01 pm

jamesh wrote:
gkreidl wrote:German DVB-T will switch to T2 with 1080p50 H265 in about 6 weeks. I think that's a job which the current RPi will not be able to do.
Really? Presumably they will support H264 as well, because much of the installed based of TV won't support H265.
No, everything will be in full HD and only H265. People have to buy new hardware (a receiver box for older TVs).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “General discussion”