Heater

Re: Pi Zero order limit?

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:51 pm

mattmiller,
...not wanting to start an argument but your factually incorrect...
Hmm..when you question my statements of fact that sounds like an argument. Are you here for the five minute argument or the full half hour? :)

Seems to me that there are hundreds of ARM board vendors. Many of them glad to take your order for 100's or 1000's or more units. Perhaps with a three month lead time. Cash up front.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is not in that business. They are a charity. They have a different mission statement.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:59 pm

SonOfAMotherlessGoat wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: It is Raspberry Pi Trading who are responsible for the RPi ZERO :D
Touche, but that doesn't change the essentials of my post.
This whole post like all the others are worthless.

When the time comes around when the BCM2835 SoC has been manufactured in sufficient quanties to satisfy the A+ & B+ (10,000 ?), RPT will decide to launch a v1.4 Zero and the merry-go-round of posts will start again.....

Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Heater

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:04 pm

fruitoftheloom
Yep, they always have the same flavor.

People who want something for almost nothing and then get miffed because it's not available.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:24 pm

I'd just like to refer people back to a comment I made on my Pi Zero launch day blog article.
The Raspberry Pi Zero is a special edition model, so nothing (long-term availability, price stability, feature set or form factor) is guaranteed past the initial production run(s). However, if it’s popular enough, it’s quite possible that more will be made.

It might not be wise to bet your livelihood on developing a ‘Pi Zero-only’ add-on though. But all 40-pin compatible Pi add-ons should work well with it (if you solder a header on).
Although production was then ramped up due to demand, has anyone ever seen an official statement that contradicts any of the above?
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:37 pm

alexeames wrote:I'd just like to refer people back to a comment I made on my Pi Zero launch day blog article.
The Raspberry Pi Zero is a special edition model, so nothing (long-term availability, price stability, feature set or form factor) is guaranteed past the initial production run(s). However, if it’s popular enough, it’s quite possible that more will be made.

It might not be wise to bet your livelihood on developing a ‘Pi Zero-only’ add-on though. But all 40-pin compatible Pi add-ons should work well with it (if you solder a header on).
Although production was then ramped up due to demand, has anyone ever seen an official statement that contradicts any of the above?
None whatsoever, even EU stated the ZERO form factor was not set in stone, as was shown by the v1.3 release.

Hopefully not to many people have banked their life savings on manufacturing a product around the ZERO !!!

Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

mattmiller

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:20 pm

The Raspberry Pi Zero is a special edition model, so nothing (long-term availability, price stability, feature set or form factor) is guaranteed past the initial production run(s).
IMMSMC Liz contradicted your long-term availability guarantee within a few hours

Found it
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=127003&p=850360&hilit=zero#p850360

So are you saying you know/knew better? :)

This is what happens when there are secrets - not even acolytes get ALL the information

davidcoton

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:50 pm

mattmiller wrote: This is what happens when there are secrets - not even acolytes get ALL the information
Secrets? What secrets? You're quoting a post from an open, much read,forum (this one, even!) :shock:
It sounds like you're getting dangerously close to a conspiracy theory. :twisted:
However, just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean that the world isn't out to get you. :lol:
Signature retired

Heater

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:52 pm

matmiller,

No.

Liz said, in your linked quote "However, if it’s popular enough, it’s quite possible that more will be made."

How is that any "contradiction"?
So are you saying you know/knew better?
I guess we are. We did not fail comprehension at school.
This is what happens when there are secrets
What "secrets"? You have just quoted us the statement of reality. Nothing hidden there.

mattmiller

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:14 pm

No in my linked post Liz said
We're definitely continuing to make them for as long as you want them.
That is the contradiction of Alex's words that availability was not set in stone.

Obviously, the words were said on a forum and not acutally engraved onto a rock so technically I'm wrong but ...

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:15 pm

mattmiller wrote:
Nobody has expected it to magically improve all of a sudden.
Some of us are more optimistic than others but even we have to give up now
Pi Zero supplies have gotten to be reliable enough that now when I make an order from Adafruit, I just toss in a Pi Zero because they're staying in stock. IF they aren't in stock, all I have to do is wait a few hours until they release some more.

mattmiller

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:15 pm

We did not fail comprehension at school.
Well you might have an ology in it from school but you failed today's practical :)

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:19 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
SonOfAMotherlessGoat wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: It is Raspberry Pi Trading who are responsible for the RPi ZERO :D
Touche, but that doesn't change the essentials of my post.

When the time comes around when the BCM2835 SoC has been manufactured in sufficient quanties to satisfy the A+ & B+ (10,000 ?), RPT will decide to launch a v1.4 Zero and the merry-go-round of posts will start again.....
Actually...when the CM3 and--eventually--the Pi3A are launched, any SoC supply bottleneck on the BCM2835 will probably vanish.

Heater

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:41 pm

mattmiller,

Well, on the page you linked to Liz says "We're definitely continuing to make them for as long as you want them."

Still does not sound like the contradiction of "so nothing (long-term availability, price stability, feature set or form factor) is guaranteed past the initial production run(s)."
Well you might have an ology in it from school but you failed today's practical
No olgies here. But I think I did very well today. :)

mattmiller

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:51 pm

OK lets let you resit today's comprehension test

And we'l even make it multiple choice to give you a better chance

Is Liz:"We're definitely continuing to make them for as long as you want them" contradicting Alex:"so nothing (long-term availability...) is guaranteed past the initial production run"

1. They are contradicting statements

2. There is nothing in those statements that contradict each other

mattmiller

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:52 pm

You've heard the story about avoiding wrestling pigs in the mud?

Heater

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:32 pm

mattmiller,

OK, test on...

Alex: "so nothing (long-term availability...) is guaranteed past the initial production run"

Very wise. Basically it says that if it does not work out we won't continue. Like any such venture.

Liz: "We're definitely continuing to make them for as long as you want them"

Very wise. Basically it says that if it does work out we will continue.

I see no contradiction there.

How did I do?

Heater

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:36 pm

mattmiller,
No. But it sounds like the old sage advice:

A wise man should never argue with an idiot in public. Passers by won't be able to tell which is which.

But, hey, I can't help myself. :)

W. H. Heydt

Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:42 am

Heater wrote:mattmiller,
No. But it sounds like the old sage advice:

A wise man should never argue with an idiot in public. Passers by won't be able to tell which is which.

But, hey, I can't help myself. :)
Similar...the salient point about wrestling in the mud with a pig is that you'll get muddy and the pig enjoys it.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 am

Thread hijacked and gone off topic (again). Locking as such.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Return to “General discussion”