ITek

Pi Zero order limit?

Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering if there will ever be a time I can order more than one raspberry pi zero at a time. I have a project or 2 in mind that sort of work together and require more than one board.

Anyone know if this is slated to happen eventually?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi Zero order limit?

Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:42 am

Yes, once supply catches up with demand. When this will be? Who knows, since the demand is rather unpredictable. AL that can be done is keep supply as high as possible, which is what is being done.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Demonslayer

Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:43 am

I wonder the same because I have a project that will require at least 200 units pr year. If supply is such a problem I will have to choose another board or design one myself. Please make more Zeros.

If you have problems with production capacity, maybe we can work something out? They can be made in larger numbers if you want to. I really want zeros on a inovative drone for laser topography and the possibilities are almost endless.
If you want your board to pilot a drone through the most hostile enviorments on earth, please contact me. Together we can explore thunderstorms, volcanic eruptions or the deeps of the sea. My drone can do it with your boards onboard.
Last edited by Demonslayer on Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:52 am

Demonslayer wrote:I wonder the same because I have a project that will require at least 200 units pr year. If supply is such a problem I will have to choose another board or design one myself. Please make more Zeros.

If you have problems with production capacity, maybe we can work something out? They can be made in larger numbers if you want to.
In the last blog when EU talked about the RPi Zero he stated the form factor was not in stone, therefore you would be better advised to design around the Compute Module.

:D
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

HermannSW

Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:52 am

> to choose another board
>
the very big plus for Pi Zero is the 5$ price tag.

I recently ordered two (much) more powerful 8$ NanoPi Neos (no HDMI, but quad core 1.2GHz A7), have not received the modules yet:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic ... msg2842531

Hermann.
⇨https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/en/Raspberry_camera.html

https://github.com/Hermann-SW/Raspberry_v1_camera_global_external_shutter
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/github_repo_i420toh264
https://github.com/Hermann-SW/fork-raspiraw
https://twitter.com/HermannSW

fruitoftheloom

Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:04 am

HermannSW wrote:> to choose another board
>
the very big plus for Pi Zero is the 5$ price tag.

I recently ordered two (much) more powerful 8$ NanoPi Neos (no HDMI, but quad core 1.2GHz A7), have not received the modules yet:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic ... msg2842531

Hermann.
Though can you get decent community support ??

ITek

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:07 am

Well they are 5 GBP right?

Can't they take an order for 100 of them? That is demand lol. Just for one customer.

Demonslayer

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:22 am

The zero is perfect for my intended use because it can easily be fitted with a camera and I don't need audio output, ethernet and huge USBs. The zero would fit perfect and is excactly what I need.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:41 am

Demonslayer wrote:The zero is perfect for my intended use because it can easily be fitted with a camera and I don't need audio output, ethernet and huge USBs. The zero would fit perfect and is excactly what I need.
Yes but by the time you accumulate say 100 a new version could of been released, it only took s few months to release with the Camera Connector, so who knows what RPT will surprise us with ?

laurent

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:38 am

I understand that the demand is still too high, but with the production rate increase, why they are keeping the limit at one per purchase ? They could keep a limit but increase it a little bit ? Say 2 per purchase in a first time, then 3, 4...
Why it must be one per purchase or unlimited orders per purchase (when demand will decrease), without steps between ?

solar3000

Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:50 pm

just order another day. there's no hard limit. they don't take your finger print.
I already have over five or 6 or 7 zeros already and I'm still not in jail yet.
Antikythera

davidcoton

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:21 pm

solar3000 wrote: I'm still not in jail yet.
Your statement has been noted by the Virtual Zero Police Group (not to be confused with the Absolute Zero Police Group, who deal with speeding electrons).
Signature retired

solar3000

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:26 pm

davidcoton wrote:
solar3000 wrote: I'm still not in jail yet.
Your statement has been noted by the Virtual Zero Police Group (not to be confused with the Absolute Zero Police Group, who deal with speeding electrons).
I keep getting you confused with
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/welcome-dave/
Antikythera

jamesh

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:29 am

laurent wrote:I understand that the demand is still too high, but with the production rate increase, why they are keeping the limit at one per purchase ? They could keep a limit but increase it a little bit ? Say 2 per purchase in a first time, then 3, 4...
Why it must be one per purchase or unlimited orders per purchase (when demand will decrease), without steps between ?
Demand is still higher than supply. Production is as fast as it can sustainable go. Going to be a few more months I suspect before order limits are removed, and I have a suspicion that a few orders of 100 or 200 will soon introduce another limit.

WIth regard to the $5 price point being the big seller, it's a compromise. You want a cheap, high powered board, in large quantities. Right now, you can't. You can have two out of the three, but not all three. Pretty standard engineering principle. It's a bit 'have you cake and eat it too'. You want everything, but right now, you cannot. Either make some compromises, or take the hit. Complaining makes not difference - for some idea of how difficult the problem is to solve, check out all the other people who make high powered, cheap board in large quantities.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

mattmiller

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:44 am

Production is as fast as it can sustainable go
What's the limiting factor?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:49 am

mattmiller wrote:
Broadcom BCM2835 SoC and having to produce other Raspberry Pi Models.....

jamesh

Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:12 am

mattmiller wrote:
As fruit says, but also things like using up the production line for a very low profit (if any item) vs using it for stuff that actually makes enough money to keep the RPF in business. Money has already been spent making the Zero production faster/efficient, but there are limits to how much you might want to spend on a low profit item. And of course, the RPF self funds the Zero, so there may be issues with cash flow there which limit huge manufacturing quantities.

mattmiller

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:51 am

but there are limits to how much you might want to spend on a low profit item.
So its probably not (within foreseeable future - like within 12 months) going to be available to buy in even low batch quantities :(

It would have been better if the Foundation had said this a bit earlier

We were all hoping that they'd either find a magic way to make it profitable (to them and the retail chain) or bump the price up to $10-$15 to make it so

Well , at least we can give up hope now and move on

RaTTuS

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:13 am

mattmiller wrote:
but there are limits to how much you might want to spend on a low profit item.
So its probably not (within foreseeable future - like within 12 months) going to be available to buy in even low batch quantities :(

We were all hoping that they'd either find a magic way to make it profitable (to them and the retail chain) or bump the price up to $10-$15 to make it so

Well , at least we can give up hope now and move on
the foundation cannot say how the public will keep on buying ....
but the fact that pimoroni have had stock for the last few days means that there well be removal of restrictions RSN™

but your best bet is to ask pimoroni, pi-hut , pi supply or adafruit http://whereismypizero.com/ speculation here is just speculation
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Heater

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:20 am

mattmiller,
Ugh, the limited Pi Zero supply situation has been known from day one. It has been discussed here every day, so it seems, since then. Nobody has expected it to magically improve all of a sudden.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

mattmiller

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:29 pm

Nobody has expected it to magically improve all of a sudden.
Some of us are more optimistic than others but even we have to give up now

mattmiller

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:35 pm

Ugh, the limited Pi Zero supply situation has been known from day one.
Well - not wanting to start an argument but your factually incorrect ...

The situation was NOT known from day one (because Foundation wouldn't say they were frantically making Pi3) and therefore we didn't know that that production was constrained by that

I'm not saying anything out of turn here by saying that the Foundation are notorious for not making situations clear and the PiZero is the most public example of that :)

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:45 pm

mattmiller wrote:(because Foundation wouldn't say they were frantically making Pi3)
RPF doesn't make Pi3's, the only model made by the RPF is the Zero. We can get pedantic, or we can face the reality of what is going on now. You'll be able to buy bulk Zero's when the distributors (not the RPF) decides they want to sell in bulk. And that changes depending on the distributor. MicroCenter in New York is selling at $0.99 per unit, MicroCenter in Southern California is relaxing the limit if you ask. The RPF will do what the RPF feels is in their best interest and no time sooner. If your business is based around having access to volatile supplies for it's most major component then re-evaluate your business plan. (And 200 Zero's a year is not a large amount, if you really wanted them, you could get them. Not all at once, but then unless there is a plan to sell all of the products made with a Zero at once, the supply side requirements could be relaxed a bit.) Or you lower your expectations.
Account Inactive

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:47 pm

SonOfAMotherlessGoat wrote:
mattmiller wrote:(because Foundation wouldn't say they were frantically making Pi3)
RPF doesn't make Pi3's, the only model made by the RPF is the Zero. We can get pedantic, or we can face the reality of what is going on now. You'll be able to buy bulk Zero's when the distributors (not the RPF) decides they want to sell in bulk. And that changes depending on the distributor. MicroCenter in New York is selling at $0.99 per unit, MicroCenter in Southern California is relaxing the limit if you ask. The RPF will do what the RPF feels is in their best interest and no time sooner. If your business is based around having access to volatile supplies for it's most major component then re-evaluate your business plan. (And 200 Zero's a year is not a large amount, if you really wanted them, you could get them. Not all at once, but then unless there is a plan to sell all of the products made with a Zero at once, the supply side requirements could be relaxed a bit.) Or you lower your expectations.
It is Raspberry Pi Trading who are responsible for the RPi ZERO :D

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:49 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: It is Raspberry Pi Trading who are responsible for the RPi ZERO :D
Touche, but that doesn't change the essentials of my post.
Account Inactive

Return to “General discussion”