houkun1230
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:57 am

Raspberry pi 3 SD card can't be formatted

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:19 am

Hi guys,
I just bought my RPi 3, and use 16G kingston micro SD card, unzip NOOBS in the sd card.
The problem that I meet is this error:
"error downloading or extracting tarball tar:write error Read-only system" which causes the OS can't be installed.

after that, I reboot RPi it keep showing "Waiting for SD card (settings partition)"

I've tried to use:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
to format the sd card, and
http://brucesbraindump.blogspot.ca/2013 ... -from.html
to fix the readonly property of sd card, but I can't format the sd card.
It's very weird that my sd card becomes "RECOVERY" and the size is only 1.08G.
I'm very familiar with the sd card and noobs, is there any ideas?
Thank you

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20139
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Raspberry pi 3 SD card can't be formatted

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:26 am

houkun1230 wrote:Hi guys,
I just bought my RPi 3, and use 16G kingston micro SD card, unzip NOOBS in the sd card.
The problem that I meet is this error:
"error downloading or extracting tarball tar:write error Read-only system" which causes the OS can't be installed.

after that, I reboot RPi it keep showing "Waiting for SD card (settings partition)"

I've tried to use:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
to format the sd card, and
http://brucesbraindump.blogspot.ca/2013 ... -from.html
to fix the readonly property of sd card, but I can't format the sd card.
It's very weird that my sd card becomes "RECOVERY" and the size is only 1.08G.
I'm very familiar with the sd card and noobs, is there any ideas?
Thank you
If you are using Windows to read the SD Card it will only show the first FAT Partition, yes MS does not understand EXT File System.

When using SD Card Formatter did you do so with "size adjustment ON" ?

I have found that formatting a supposedly 'bad' card in a Digital Camera has good results ;)
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8039
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Raspberry pi 3 SD card can't be formatted

Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:39 am

houkun1230 wrote: It's very weird that my sd card becomes "RECOVERY" and the size is only 1.08G.
It is not at all "weird." This is the standard, documented, behaviour of the NOOBS Installer when it is booted for the first time.

It is unrelated to the problem you are experiencing with apparent corruption of your SD card.

houkun1230
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:57 am

Re: Raspberry pi 3 SD card can't be formatted

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:20 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
houkun1230 wrote:Hi guys,
I just bought my RPi 3, and use 16G kingston micro SD card, unzip NOOBS in the sd card.
The problem that I meet is this error:
"error downloading or extracting tarball tar:write error Read-only system" which causes the OS can't be installed.

after that, I reboot RPi it keep showing "Waiting for SD card (settings partition)"

I've tried to use:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
to format the sd card, and
http://brucesbraindump.blogspot.ca/2013 ... -from.html
to fix the readonly property of sd card, but I can't format the sd card.
It's very weird that my sd card becomes "RECOVERY" and the size is only 1.08G.
I'm very familiar with the sd card and noobs, is there any ideas?
Thank you
If you are using Windows to read the SD Card it will only show the first FAT Partition, yes MS does not understand EXT File System.

When using SD Card Formatter did you do so with "size adjustment ON" ?

I have found that formatting a supposedly 'bad' card in a Digital Camera has good results ;)
Yes, I turn the size adjustment "ON", when I click "format" it pops out a message: "sd card is write protected, please release the switch" which I don't have any switch at all. I also tried using MAC and Ubuntu to format it, it won't work. Any idea about that? thank you

houkun1230
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:57 am

Re: Raspberry pi 3 SD card can't be formatted

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:21 pm

B.Goode wrote:
houkun1230 wrote: It's very weird that my sd card becomes "RECOVERY" and the size is only 1.08G.
It is not at all "weird." This is the standard, documented, behaviour of the NOOBS Installer when it is booted for the first time.

It is unrelated to the problem you are experiencing with apparent corruption of your SD card.
Do you know how to fix that problem?

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8039
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Raspberry pi 3 SD card can't be formatted

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:38 pm

I agree with the suggestion that has already been made by @fruitoftheloom.

houkun1230
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:57 am

Re: Raspberry pi 3 SD card can't be formatted

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:45 pm

B.Goode wrote:I agree with the suggestion that has already been made by @fruitoftheloom.
But do you know why this card can't be formatted anymore?

fruit-uk
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:19 pm
Location: Suffolk, UK

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:47 pm

It may have gone into ReadOnly mode - means it's dead, something or action has corrupted/broken the card


User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8039
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Raspberry pi 3 SD card can't be formatted

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:31 pm

What 'known issue' are you referring to in particular?

Early (beta) experiences with this alternative method of booting are unrelated to your difficulties involving a mis-behaving microSD card.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20139
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Raspberry pi 3 SD card can't be formatted

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:48 pm

houkun1230 wrote:
B.Goode wrote:I agree with the suggestion that has already been made by @fruitoftheloom.
But do you know why this card can't be formatted anymore?
It has likely gone past it's read / write life and now unreliable :shock:
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Return to “General discussion”