kenpem

Re: How many do you invision purchasing?

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:13 pm

treczoks said:

Well, the problem with the A model is the lack of a native network interface, which is IMHO a bigger obstacle than the smaller RAM.

Depends on the deployment target. Without the network, it is still a very valuable learning tool - how many of us got started before there was even such a thing as a network? Also, most of the embedded deployments I have in mind don't need networking.

Come to think of it, it's only really in the traditional spaces (be it desktop, server, HTPC, NAS, etc.) that networking becomes useful. And a lot of those spaces are already well-covered. Possibly not by something as innovative and cheerful as the RPi, of course.

Phil_12d3

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:46 pm

I hope to buy one or two.

I would think that the Model B would be more useful for teaching kids, since networking is such an important part of what we use computers for these days. Granted, the RPi isn't a replacement for anything we have today, but is a great teaching tool.

"how many of us got started before there was even such a thing as a network?"

Ok, so I may be a bit of a geek when it comes to this, but when I had my Commodore 64, one of the first things I tried to do is "network" it up to my mates using the disk drive secondary port (as sort of shared drive). So, yes we didn't have networking in the home, but i'm sure it wasn't just me that wanted it. Now we have it, teach it.

Tetsuo

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:34 pm

I'm a member of Adelaide Hackerspace (www.hackerspace-adelaide.org.au) and we were all talking about the Raspberry Pi production news tonight.

The consensus was, everybody (20 of us so far) wants one. However the problem is the limitation on purchasing 1 each.

How can we purchase them and not pay 20 lots of shipping to Australia ?

The most sensible option would be if they were shipped direct from the manufacturer as worldwide shipping from the UK would be MUCH more expensive.

Has any decision been made yet on overseas shipping ?

mightygoose

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:52 pm

weather balloon - 1

bramble - 8

donate to my local heads of science & IT - 2

a model A Uk made for posterities sake - 1 (if this happens)

so aeound a dozen in total.

RaTTuS

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Tetsuo said:

I'm a member of Adelaide Hackerspace (www.hackerspace-adelaide.org.au) and we were all talking about the Raspberry Pi production news tonight.

The consensus was, everybody (20 of us so far) wants one. However the problem is the limitation on purchasing 1 each.

How can we purchase them and not pay 20 lots of shipping to Australia ?

The most sensible option would be if they were shipped direct from the manufacturer as worldwide shipping from the UK would be MUCH more expensive.

Has any decision been made yet on overseas shipping ?

well if youi wait to after the initial batch - you will be able to order 20 in one go no worries
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Prometheus

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Right now, I can envision purchasing at least two.

One, a Model B, will be my main computer. My current computer is slowly dying, and, it being a laptop and my requirements not being particularly heavy, I'll switch to the RPi as my main box. I've been wanting an opportunity to switch to ARM for my day-to-day computing for quite some time, and now it's finally here.

As for the other, well... I sew, and I hope to break into plush toy design at some point. I think that it would be a good idea to try to learn to run servos and the like, so that I can learn to make fully-working prototypes of animated or interactive plush toys. If I can get my head around this (hopefully via teaching resources made from the ground up for the RPi), then I would buy a Model A (or possibly another Model B) for this purpose.

abishur

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:52 pm

I'm also in the two camp initially.  One for a media center / retro gaming console and a second for a web-server or possibly content filter.  I plan on having to re-compile whatever content filter I choose (and any missing dependencies), but hopefully it will play nice and work!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Tetsuo

Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:27 pm

We've all been waiting for months to get to this stage, with 10,000 being made surely  there's going to be enough to go around ?

I thought the whole idea of the initial batch is to get them into the hands of people who can help develop the SW side a bit more.

RaTTuS said:

well if you wait to after the initial batch – you will be able to order 20 in one go no worries

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Tetsuo said:

We've all been waiting for months to get to this stage, with 10,000 being made surely  there's going to be enough to go around ?

I thought the whole idea of the initial batch is to get them into the hands of people who can help develop the SW side a bit more.

RaTTuS said:

well if you wait to after the initial batch – you will be able to order 20 in one go no worries

Well, there are 7200 forum members, and 55k people on the mailing list. Is 10k going to be enough? We have no idea, so until we do, we have to limit sales to individuals so ensure they get spread as far as possible, and don't get scalped on to Ebay.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Tetsuo

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Would it be possible for 20 or so people to purchase individually via Paypal and then ship as one lot to our Hackerspace address ?

As I'm sure you can understand shipping 20 individual items to the other side of the planet makes very little sense when they could easily be shipped as one box.

SlayingDragons

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:26 pm

All of them. Sorry everyone else. :\

But really, probably around 6 to 8 over the course of the next year. I'll buy 2 initially, one for me and one for my sister as a birthday present, then buy a couple more after the initial rush is over for various purposes such as network simulation, media center, pirate box, minilaptop, small http/ftp server, etc. I've already started programming a bunch of stuff to run on it, so it's accomplishing it's goal before it's even released.

8+8? 10 is the correct answer in hex...

dognosh

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

none to start with , will wait for reviews and feedback from you guys, then if still interested I will get one to tinker with , and if it fits our requirements then we're talking 100s .

nelson

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:48 am

SlayingDragons said:

8+8? 10 is the correct answer in hex...

11+2 = 0xD was accepted by the javascript and the button was enabled but it failed submit

slysimon

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:55 pm

One to start with , which I will use for development. I then enivage 6 - 8 for a distributed computing 'Bramble' and a few more in different parts of the house.

Intentions are:

Greenhouse Climate Control

Home Automation - to include:

Smart Climate Control

Video Surveillance and Security

Lighting

Curtains

XBMC

TonyHoyle

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:47 pm

As long as plex is ported (or Plexbmc works and has a good enough WAF), then 2 to start with.  Then probably a network enabled doorbell, and after that whatever takes my fancy..

TonyHoyle

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:50 pm

Jorn said:

I know it was said a while ago but that made me laugh out loud...

Tetsuo

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:13 pm

Yeah well, that statement was more relevant back in early January, when I made it.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 pm

You know, in mid-August there were only 500 members and we wondered how many more would come. When this thread was posted on Nov 29th, there were 4150 members.    Even at the beginning of December, there was a worry that a batch of 10000 would take a while to shift.

Since the Foundation put the site up in July it's been an amazing 8 months.

We're only at the end of the start, I wonder what will come in the next 8 months?

(Oh, and I want ONE now!)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

cashaw

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:05 pm

One model B to start with and when I figure out what I can do with it, then I think most of my projects will be able to run with a model A.

All my projects are rather silly home automation type things, but at $25 dollars each then it is all good fun without taxing my pocket too heavily.

SN

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:08 pm

Three to start with.

And I have a naming convention sorted already

So for those who end up with more than one (or even if they have just one), what names are they likely to give them?  Naming schemes I have seen in the past are "Scottish Isles" at a University and "Thomas the Tank Engine Characters" at... ahem... a certain Nuclear Power Station ...
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:16 pm

Two to start with: one to experiment with, and one to embed in my first project. Then another for my next project, and so on. Maybe half a dozen eventually, although I might start making stuff to give away as presents or something.

poing

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:27 pm

First thing I want to do is to make a device that copies the images from my CF card to a HD using certain rules I want to program in Phyton. This should be fairly simple and a good learning experience.

Then I want to use it for making 'stacked' macro photos where the camera is moved 1mm between images that are later combined in a bought program.

I also want to create a GigaPan (http://gigapan.org/cms/shop/epic-pro) like device that will take a lot of images and puts them together in a giant photo.

I want one for Internet use, browsing and email.

One for my MySQL database.

One with a rsync server to copy images offsite.

A couple to run TVHeadend distributing TV over the network.

One with XMBC under the TV in the living room.

(these are only the first ideas)

I'm at the end of the queue (just registered my interest) so please can you guys crank 500,000 copies out of the factories?

poing

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:31 pm

SN said:

Three to start with.

And I have a naming convention sorted already

So for those who end up with more than one (or even if they have just one), what names are they likely to give them?  Naming schemes I have seen in the past are "Scottish Isles" at a University and "Thomas the Tank Engine Characters" at... ahem... a certain Nuclear Power Station ...

All computers around here have insect names, because they're tangled in the home web.

SN

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:54 pm

poing said:

First thing I want to do is to make a device that copies the images from my CF card to a HD using certain rules I want to program in Phyton. This should be fairly simple and a good learning experience.

Then I want to use it for making 'stacked' macro photos where the camera is moved 1mm between images that are later combined in a bought program.

I also want to create a GigaPan (http://gigapan.org/cms/shop/epic-pro) like device that will take a lot of images and puts them together in a giant photo.

What a great idea - if you can interface to some Lego Technic you'll be away on that one
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

poing

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:47 am

SN said:

poing said:

What a great idea - if you can interface to some Lego Technic you'll be away on that one

A DSLR with lens is about 1.5 to 2 kg so that's way too heavy for Lego Technic. Plus it tends to fall apart at some point sending the camera down off the tripod which you don't want to happen to your €4000 toy.

I was envisioning using a 3D printer to create the needed parts, although I don't have one (yet).

Return to “General discussion”