LastSilmaril

Re: Hardware DTS decoding

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:49 pm

Looking through those now...

Code: Select all

#if !defined(TARGET_DARWIN_IOS) && !defined(TARGET_RASPBERRY_PI)
  AddBool(aocat, "audiooutput.multichannellpcm" , 348, true );
#endif
So we know that the xbmc guys have consciously shut this off for RPi and I guess iOS/ATV, as well as AAC and DTS-MA/TrueHD passthrough.
Thing is, I'm not sure whether or where this setting is checked by OMXplayer and/or AudioEngine.

1080p_at_35b

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:34 am

LastSilmaril wrote:Looking through those now...

#endif
So we know that the xbmc guys have consciously shut this off for RPi and I guess iOS/ATV, as well as AAC and DTS-MA/TrueHD passthrough.
Thing is, I'm not sure whether or where this setting is checked by OMXplayer and/or AudioEngine.
Not exactly sure what you mean by 'this' in the above sentence. It looks like they've commented out code that would only enable multi-channel for everyone but the RPi etc. So therefore multi-channel is on for everyone, including the RPi etc.

What does the 348 represent?

LastSilmaril

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:51 am

1080p_at_35b wrote:
LastSilmaril wrote:Looking through those now...

#endif
Not exactly sure what you mean by 'this' in the above sentence. It looks like they've commented out code that would only enable multi-channel for everyone but the RPi etc. So therefore multi-channel is on for everyone, including the RPi etc.

What does the 348 represent?
This was clearly referring to 'multichannel lpcm'. No code is 'commented out'. #ifdef is a command to the C (or I guess CPP) preprocessor. (Think #include.) See here:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Ifdef.html
Was useful, back when I did any C (school).
Anyway, it is, in fact, disabled for the Pi and ATV. This is consistent with what we actually see in the Audio settings menu (those settings - multichannel LPCM and bitstreaming AAC, TrueHD, and DTS-MA - do now exist in the GUI for non-Pi and non-ATV targets).
As for 348 - your guess is as good as mine, ha. We'd have to find the AddBool() function and find out what the parameters it takes signify.

EDIT: Ah no wait...it looks like you're right, and I just can't read...
EDIT2: Ah no, I am right. I've just never seen that syntax before. See here:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Defined.html

Kushan

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:17 pm

1080p_at_35b wrote: Essentially though, I think this topic might as well be renamed "Hardware-assisted DTS downmixing" because unlike yourself, I expect a lot of people might be happy with 2.0 DTS if the ARM CPU was capable of downmixing without choking too much, because that would at least allow anybody to play DTS audio movies. For me, it's a question of 5.1+ is great for those who can use it, but 2.0 is best because everyone can use it, albeit may not be ideal for those wishing for surround sound.
I don't think it's possible to downmix without decoding. I don't really know, though, I would have thought that downmixing would involve decoding all of the streams, then recoding them as 2 channels (While optionally boosting the "middle" channel).

rorygall

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:22 pm

+1 for HW DTS decoding.

Currently, not buing RPi just because of that

Fludizz

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:32 pm

This is a terrible way of thinking... but I'm actually considering getting an HDTV worth around €1000 which is DTS capable to have my €35 'RaspBMC' play everything with audio passthrough :mrgreen:

But since I do not have this TV yet and my old TV is still working fine, I have to use the analog audio as I have no HDMI audio capable devices. Having to re-code the audio for all my movies that use DTS is a pain.

+1 on DTS, I'm willing to pay for such a license. To quote Futurama: "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" :mrgreen:
Rev1: D14 removed, F1&F2 bypassed and heatsinks installed. Stable at arm 900 / gpu 300 / sdram 400 :(. No overvolting!
Rev2: 512MB version, no mods, just heatsinks installed. Stable at arm 930 / gpu 350 / sdram 500. No overvolting!

Kushan

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Fludizz wrote:This is a terrible way of thinking... but I'm actually considering getting an HDTV worth around €1000 which is DTS capable to have my €35 'RaspBMC' play everything with audio passthrough :mrgreen:

But since I do not have this TV yet and my old TV is still working fine, I have to use the analog audio as I have no HDMI audio capable devices. Having to re-code the audio for all my movies that use DTS is a pain.

+1 on DTS, I'm willing to pay for such a license. To quote Futurama: "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" :mrgreen:
Why not buy yourself a really nice audio system that does DTS decoding?

Fludizz

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Considering that option as well indeed :)
Rev1: D14 removed, F1&F2 bypassed and heatsinks installed. Stable at arm 900 / gpu 300 / sdram 400 :(. No overvolting!
Rev2: 512MB version, no mods, just heatsinks installed. Stable at arm 930 / gpu 350 / sdram 500. No overvolting!

1080p_at_35b

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Kushan wrote:
Fludizz wrote:This is a terrible way of thinking... but I'm actually considering getting an HDTV worth around €1000 which is DTS capable to have my €35 'RaspBMC' play everything with audio passthrough :mrgreen:

Hmm, a $5 license vs a, what, $500 audio system? Did you really need to ask such a question Kushan?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:19 pm

1080p_at_35b wrote:
Kushan wrote:

Hmm, a $5 license vs a, what, $500 audio system? Did you really need to ask such a question Kushan?
Of course, one could argue that the only option is the $500 audio system, since there is no such thing as a $5 DTS licence for the Raspi. According to a post by Dom elsewhere, it's proving difficult to get anything decent out of the licensors.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Kushan

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:58 pm

1080p_at_35b wrote:
Kushan wrote:

Did you read the whole of his post? He was considering a $1000 TV that he doesn't need, just so he can use DTS with his Pi. There's no guarantee the Pi will EVER get the DTS license so if he really wanted DTS decoding, it's actually not a bad suggestion and that way he'll 5.1 or even 7.1 surround as well.

Fludizz

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:26 am

Spot-on Kushan :)

1080p_at_35b

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Kushan wrote:Did you read the whole of his post?
Did you? Especially the bit about spending a lot of money on something he doesn't need and how that was a terrible way of thinking?
Kushan wrote:He was considering a $1000 TV that he doesn't need, just so he can use DTS with his Pi. There's no guarantee the Pi will EVER get the DTS license so if he really wanted DTS decoding, it's actually not a bad suggestion and that way he'll 5.1 or even 7.1 surround as well.
It is a bad suggestion to assume that DTS will not come and spend a heap of cash, only for DTS support to come a few weeks later, for example. Like there is no guarantee DTS support will come, there is no guarantee it WILL NOT come.

I just think anybody who is in the market for a Raspberry Pi would be cost-conscious, hence "terrible way of thinking", so it's worth waiting until there is a more concrete announcement from the Foundation. But hey, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket and desire for listening to HD audio that can't wait a few months ... After all, the content is not going anywhere, it will be there when the time comes.

But hey, it's your choice. I just don't want anybody to spend money they don't really have when a much cheaper option is probably just around the corner.

Kushan

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:16 am

1080p_at_35b wrote:
Kushan wrote:Did you read the whole of his post?
Did you? Especially the bit about spending a lot of money on something he doesn't need and how that was a terrible way of thinking?
Kushan wrote:He was considering a $1000 TV that he doesn't need, just so he can use DTS with his Pi. There's no guarantee the Pi will EVER get the DTS license so if he really wanted DTS decoding, it's actually not a bad suggestion and that way he'll 5.1 or even 7.1 surround as well.
It is a bad suggestion to assume that DTS will not come and spend a heap of cash, only for DTS support to come a few weeks later, for example. Like there is no guarantee DTS support will come, there is no guarantee it WILL NOT come.

I just think anybody who is in the market for a Raspberry Pi would be cost-conscious, hence "terrible way of thinking", so it's worth waiting until there is a more concrete announcement from the Foundation. But hey, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket and desire for listening to HD audio that can't wait a few months ... After all, the content is not going anywhere, it will be there when the time comes.

But hey, it's your choice. I just don't want anybody to spend money they don't really have when a much cheaper option is probably just around the corner.
I...I don't even know why you're still replying...
Fludizz wrote:Spot-on Kushan :)
Besides, the reason I suggested a decent AV system is because it's an investment rather than a waste of money. It means he can get great picture, great sound and get the most out of his Pi without buying anything that's redundant or going to need to be replaced any time soon. It also means it doesn't matter if the Pi gets DTS support or not, his AV system will still give him plenty of use beyond decoding DTS. A good AV system is not a waste of money if he doesn't already have one and you can get some fantastic stuff for relatively cheap (certainly nowhere near the $1000 he was willing to fork out). Anyway, it's irrelevant as it's entirely Fludizz choice and besides, I don't think he was entirely serious with his post.

1080p_at_35b

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 am

Kushan wrote:I...I don't even know why you're still replying...
Ditto.

I also don't know why anyone started taking this thread in a direction that is not relevant. This thread is about getting hardware-assisted DTS coding for the Pi. If you're not interested in that, and you're happy to find alternative solutions, perhaps a separate thread such as "Best Raspberry Pi compatible HD audio receiver?" would be more appropriate? If you read back through this thread, the context is mostly about wanting DTS licensing for the Pi, not about buying a HD receiver.

Kushan

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:29 am

1080p_at_35b wrote:
Kushan wrote:I...I don't even know why you're still replying...
Ditto.

I also don't know why anyone started taking this thread in a direction that is not relevant. This thread is about getting hardware-assisted DTS coding for the Pi. If you're not interested in that, and you're happy to find alternative solutions, perhaps a separate thread such as "Best Raspberry Pi compatible HD audio receiver?" would be more appropriate? If you read back through this thread, the context is mostly about wanting DTS licensing for the Pi, not about buying a HD receiver.
Ok, well you seem to be the only person that has taken issue with this. Fludizz made the original post and has had no issue with it, other people have chimed in and had no issue with it. So far, you're the only one who has a problem, which has went from "Waste of money" to "we shouldn't even be discussing this in this thread, but I'm going to reply anyway to continue the discussion". The fact is, the discussion is only ongoing because you keep bringing it up, everyone else just nodded and agreed that it was another option - perhaps not the best, or the most cost-efficient but an option none the less.

1080p_at_35b

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:45 am

Kushan wrote:Ok, well you seem to be the only person that has taken issue with this. Fludizz made the original post and has had no issue with it, other people have chimed in and had no issue with it. So far, you're the only one who has a problem, which has went from "Waste of money" to "we shouldn't even be discussing this in this thread, but I'm going to reply anyway to continue the discussion". The fact is, the discussion is only ongoing because you keep bringing it up, everyone else just nodded and agreed that it was another option - perhaps not the best, or the most cost-efficient but an option none the less.
The conversation keeps going because we both want to have the last word :) Feel free:

jamesh

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:51 am

1080p_at_35b wrote:
Kushan wrote:Ok, well you seem to be the only person that has taken issue with this. Fludizz made the original post and has had no issue with it, other people have chimed in and had no issue with it. So far, you're the only one who has a problem, which has went from "Waste of money" to "we shouldn't even be discussing this in this thread, but I'm going to reply anyway to continue the discussion". The fact is, the discussion is only ongoing because you keep bringing it up, everyone else just nodded and agreed that it was another option - perhaps not the best, or the most cost-efficient but an option none the less.
The conversation keeps going because we both want to have the last word :) Feel free:
I tell you what, I'll have the last word. I win!

Thread closed.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “General discussion”