You wanted MPEG-2? You've got it!

207 posts   Page 2 of 9   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9
by daveac » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:27 pm
Great news!
My interests include Doctor Who, Sci-Fi, tech, classical music, reading and wine – all of which are covered on my weekly video blog on blip.tv/daveac
by Kmcfarland » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:52 pm
This is awesome! Order for both licenses placed a couple of hours ago. Now the anxious wait for the keys begins! :)
by Trixster » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:27 pm
Bloody good work. Purchased. Thanks to all at the RPF.
by fredjam » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:20 am
That is good news. You are right it should be an optional extra. The news about HD encoding
is also welcome. A big thank you to all the people at the foundation who took the time and the
trouble to make these things available.
by Wanderlei » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:56 am
In the CEC video, does the guy power up the R-Pi with tv remote by having the usb power cable going to the TV?

I was thinking of this, but the problems I thought of would be powering up the R-Pi when you just wanted to watch tv and turning off tv would power off the R-Pi with proper shut down.
by Paul Webster » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:22 am
Can someone who already has their key say what happens when the source file is mpeg-ts with multiple streams in it (I.e. like a full mux recording from Freeview)?
With XBMX running on old Xbox it is possible to select which stream to player via on screen menu.
Similarly - if there are multiple audio streams with one video (the regular audio and audio description is common - and perhaps some counties put language versions in there.
by CharlesBr » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:27 am
Thanks for this exciting news!

Is there any chance that MPEG2 encoding will be available in the future?

In the Amateur Radio world our standard for Digital Television transmission is MPEG2.
Mainly so surplus Freesat boxes can be used to decode the pictures. We have a network
of repeater stations around the country that use this standard and an upgrade to MPEG4 would
be very expensive.

I have some questions about bitrates, transport streams, program streams etc but I will wait until
I more fully understand the interfaces to the GPU before asking them.

It would be really nice to be able to interface the PI to the FPGA transmitter board I am developing.
Currently I use a Linux host and either FFMPEG or a Hauppauge card for the video / sound encoding (end waffle).

- Charles
by MartenR » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:13 am
Thanks for making this happen!

I am really happy, even since I spend the last months on GPU mpeg2 decoding and writing an mpeg4 to mpeg2, which is now kind of useless. But it was fun.
by linuxstb » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:14 am
Paul Webster wrote:Can someone who already has their key say what happens when the source file is mpeg-ts with multiple streams in it (I.e. like a full mux recording from Freeview)?
With XBMX running on old Xbox it is possible to select which stream to player via on screen menu.
Similarly - if there are multiple audio streams with one video (the regular audio and audio description is common - and perhaps some counties put language versions in there.

This is dependent on the player. The MPEG-2 codec this license accesses just decodes the raw video packets - the player is responsible for choosing which stream to display, extracting those video packets from the file (be it mpeg-ts, mpeg-ps, avi, mkv or whatever) and then passing them to the GPU for decoding.
by linuxstb » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:18 am
MartenR wrote:Thanks for making this happen!

I am really happy, even since I spend the last months on GPU mpeg2 decoding and writing an mpeg4 to mpeg2, which is now kind of useless. But it was fun.

I wouldn't like to see the existence of an optional mpeg-2 hardware decoder stop all work on software decoding. For certain situations (e.g. UK DVB-T broadcasts), the Pi is fully capable of decoding MPEG-2 in software (because the bitrates are relatively low), so users don't need the license. With your approach, software decoding is useful for higher bitrate streams as well.
by ferrymanr » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:26 am
mikerr wrote:Fantastic news !

Nice to see the foundation listening to the users, and not being political about it
("mpeg2 is old and not relevant for educational purposes the pi is aimed at").

It's great that encoding is also there (mpeg2 and h264 encode)

It would be fantastic if mpeg2 encode was there as you stated but I think that is just wishful thinking. If it was I dread to think what it would cost to enable. Alas I think it is only H264 encoding.
by Burngate » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:36 am
Just a few Q's out of curiosity
If someone were to go to RS or Farnell to buy a complete kit, including an SD card ready flashed, Have those two considered bundling the licences in the package?
(not that I expect an answer here - it would be down to them!)

At £2.40 there can't be much profit in it for you, but would more arrive in your bank account if I bought a licence than if I bought a sticker or mug?
by liz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:42 am
About RS and Farnell I don't know; some of the decision makers there are on holiday at the moment, so I don't think we'll get an answer there for a bit.

We'd make a much bigger margin on merchandise than we do on these licences, although the Foundation does make a few pence on the licences.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by dom » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:42 am
CharlesBr wrote:Is there any chance that MPEG2 encoding will be available in the future?

Not possible I'm afraid. The only encode the hardware supports is H.264 and MPEG4.
And only the H.264 is enabled.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by voorstad » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:52 am
72 hours.... can be very long hours when waiting for something.... Anyone who already received the key?

@the foundation: thanks for making this possible!
by dom » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:01 am
Wanderlei wrote:I was thinking of this, but the problems I thought of would be powering up the R-Pi when you just wanted to watch tv and turning off tv would power off the R-Pi with proper shut down.

I sometimes run with a setup like this, but you are right it is dangerous. You really need to remember to shutdown the Pi first to avoid corrupting the sdcard.
Although I normally boot from nfs, which is a lot less likely to get unhappy on a power loss.
by G4GUO » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:22 am
dom wrote:
CharlesBr wrote:Is there any chance that MPEG2 encoding will be available in the future?

Not possible I'm afraid. The only encode the hardware supports is H.264 and MPEG4.
And only the H.264 is enabled.

Thanks for the info Dom.

I assume I would have to format the output of the H.264 encoder into a program(me) stream
and then convert the program(me) stream into a transport stream myself? I know I will have to
add the SI tables to make it valid DVB.

- Charles
by MartenR » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:27 am
linuxstb wrote:
MartenR wrote:Thanks for making this happen!

I wouldn't like to see the existence of an optional mpeg-2 hardware decoder stop all work on software decoding. For certain situations (e.g. UK DVB-T broadcasts), the Pi is fully capable of decoding MPEG-2 in software (because the bitrates are relatively low), so users don't need the license. With your approach, software decoding is useful for higher bitrate streams as well.

The point is, I worked on the transcoder, since I wanted to have mpeg2 decoding for vomp. Now, (or in the next 72 hours), I will have it for less than I spent for my daily lunch.

Anyway I have published the transcoding code, so if someone wants to use it, he is invited to use it under GPL and lesser GPL v2. But the next steps optimizing it more, which is possible, will not be done by me.

Marten
by Paul Webster » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:38 am
linuxstb wrote:This is dependent on the player. The MPEG-2 codec this license accesses just decodes the raw video packets - the player is responsible for choosing which stream to display, extracting those video packets from the file (be it mpeg-ts, mpeg-ps, avi, mkv or whatever) and then passing them to the GPU for decoding.

Thinking of Omxplayer - as (at the moment) I expect that this is the only player that makes use of this new hardware acceleration.
by liz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:40 am
Raspbmc, Xbian and OpenELEC all work with it too.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi
by dom » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:56 am
G4GUO wrote:I assume I would have to format the output of the H.264 encoder into a program(me) stream
and then convert the program(me) stream into a transport stream myself? I know I will have to
add the SI tables to make it valid DVB.

Yes, you will get a raw H.264 bitstream from the GPU. It's up to your arm code how that is packaged.
I would imagine libavformat (or similar) will handle packetisation into program/transport stream format.
by G4GUO » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:07 am
dom wrote:Yes, you will get a raw H.264 bitstream from the GPU. It's up to your arm code how that is packaged.
I would imagine libavformat (or similar) will handle packetisation into program/transport stream format.

Thanks again, I have already written C code that formats and manipulates Program/Transport
streams so I will be able to use that. Exciting times

- Charles
by Paul Webster » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:21 pm
liz wrote:Raspbmc, Xbian and OpenELEC all work with it too.

Are they doing it natively or by launching Omxplayer?
by SirLagz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:02 pm
Fantubulous news !!!
So H.264 encoding is hardware enabled, but something just needs to take advantage of it... e.g. ffmpeg ?
Wondering how hard it will be to hand encoding off to the GPU. Might make the webcam dreams of some people come true :D
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044
by dom » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:03 pm
Paul Webster wrote:Are they doing it natively or by launching Omxplayer?

omxplayer was written by the guy who did the Pi xbmc port.
There is similar code in xbmc to omxplayer, but no, xbmc does not launch the command line app omxplayer.