techblogger911

Re: STICKY: USB boot now working on Pi3

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:24 am

Hi,
Is it working well? i want to know first to make sure. Thanks

PeterO

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:47 am

Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

cspan

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:57 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:55 am
So my recommendations are...

1. For simplicity with good performance, boot from one of the new "A1" class SD cards.
2. For the best overall performance, boot from a USB SSD drive.
3. If you need loads of storage, or need to record large amounts of data, go with a hard drive (preferably self-powered).

There's also no reason you cannot combine devices, like boot from an A1 SD card and use a hard drive for storage.
Thanks much, HawaiianPi!

If you don't mind a follow up question: as I plan to use the Pi as an everyday desktop computer (really), would you advise against using microSD for booting? I've read that the nature of flash memory is not terribly well suited to the high volumes of reading and writing one might get through daily desktop (and internet browsing) use; that SSD drives compensate for this to a degree with wear-leveling technology ... but I don't know if that tech is also in microSD cards (I do happen to have an A1 Sandisk Ultra microSD) or in USB flash memory sticks.

Were it not for that concern, I'd happily run the OS off the microSD and use an external, non-powered HDD for storage [I already have two of these in rotation to backup my desktop files. I like keeping my data files separate from OS files anyway.] Then, if the card gets corrupted, I put a backup card in place and resume my work, files safe, OS files easily replaced.

Since I had assumed this was an issue - I was leaning toward eschewing flash-based memory for booting and OS anyway. I already own a powered SATA docking station for 2.5/3.5 internal HDD, so I figured I'd probably buy a new internal HD and start booting from that for my Raspbian desktop. [I do have some older drives ... 80GB, 160GB, but they're so old, I'm not sure I should rely on them. OTOH, if my own files aren't on them, so what, right? Just keep a clone of the boot disk somewhere?]

Tinue

Tue May 01, 2018 6:25 pm

I usually need 2-3 tries (unplug/replug the power to the Raspberry Pi) before the Raspberry Pi 3 Plus boots from an external SSD. Direct reboot almost never works, I again have to unplug/replug one or more times. During a reboot the USB Disk remains powered, so it's not a question of startup time after power on.
It doesn't matter at all whether I use the Raspberry Pi 3 Plus' boot code, or a small SSD with the latest boot code from Github.

Hardware: The SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO. I use an unbranded eBay / Chinese USB3-SATA cable to connect.

Does anyone have direct experience with similar hardware? How can it be made to boot on the first try?
  • Different SSD, because maybe the Samsung in known to be difficult?
  • Different SATA-USB adapter or case? Is there one that is "known" to work?
Thanks for any hint!

captanjack

Sat May 05, 2018 12:38 pm

USB boot now working on Pi3 lets see this tuts it help u lot

https://www.ultimate-tech-news.com/how- ... ning-tool/

BerythaBeasley

Tue May 08, 2018 9:36 am

I had the same error in Raspbian migrating from RP3B to RP3B+.
The solution was to modify “/etc/apt/sources.list” and /etc/apt/sources .list.d/raspi.list” and set them to “stretch”.
Later, apt-get dist-upgrade, and just move SD card from old to new Raspi.
It booted without any error.

HawaiianPi

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 pm

Tinue wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:25 pm
I usually need 2-3 tries (unplug/replug the power to the Raspberry Pi) before the Raspberry Pi 3 Plus boots from an external SSD.
Does anyone have direct experience with similar hardware? How can it be made to boot on the first try?
  • Different SSD, because maybe the Samsung in known to be difficult?
  • Different SATA-USB adapter or case? Is there one that is "known" to work?
Thanks for any hint!
It is almost certainly the SATA-USB adapter (I am pretty sure I have tested my system with a Samsung EVO 850 SSD). Could also be an inadequate power supply. I have a few different SATA-USB adapters I have tried that worked reliably for me.

ELUTENG USB3 to SATA III Cable
Sabrent USB 3.0 to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA Hard Drive Adapter
Grandey hot selling USB 3.0 to 2.5in SATA 3 Hard Drive Adapter Cable

I like the ELUTENG adapter best, due to its reliable operation (cold boot or reboot on 1st try), good performance and short USB cable.

The Sabrent is also excellent if you want an actively LED and longer USB cable (not tested as extensively, but no problems when I tried it).

The Grandey was cheaper when I bought it. At the current $7.75 price I'd rather have the ELUTENG or Sabrent (however, it does work well).

Both tested with a 128GB Silicon Power A55 SATA3 SSD, and a MyDigitalSSD SuperBoot 2 mSATA SSD (in a 2.5" adapter).

For the tiny mSATA form factor 128GB MyDigitalSSD SuperBoot 2 this external enclosure also works well.
Click picture for link.

See this thread for details. viewtopic.php?f=63&t=210497
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Tinue

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:24 pm

Thanks for the product suggestions! Gordon built me a bootcode.bin with a 10 Second timeout (see https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/994), and with this one I can boot reliably.

If you were successful with a Samsung 850 and one of your adapters, and I was successful with my no-name China adapter and an old Intel SSD, it must be the combination of my adapter and the Samsung that creates problems.

I'll try to get one of the adapters that you mentioned shipped to Switzerland; Hopefully I can then boot without an SD card and a special-built bootcode.bin.

HawaiianPi

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:32 am

It occurred to me that I probably tested the Samsung EVO850 SSD before I received the Grandey adapter (which came slow boat from China), so I did a quick retest today. FYI: My 500GB EVO850 is an mSATA form factor drive, so I used a 2.5" adapter (like the 2nd picture in my post above).

As before, the 500GB EVO850 worked fine with the ELUTENG and Sabrent USB3-SATA3 adapter cables (cold boot and reboot), but did not work reliably with the Grandey cable, or with the PC PARTS 239 external enclosure I normally use it in (reboots were unreliable), so it is more picky than the other two SSD models I tested.

I tested it on both my Pi3B and Pi3B+ to see if the improved bootloader on the newer model would help. It didn't (same results on both models). Also note that I only retested the ELUTENG SATA cable (I did not retest the ELUTENG mSATA enclosure). The results with the PC PARTS brand enclosure is particularly interesting, because it uses the same controller as the ELUTENG USB3-SATA3 cable.

EDIT:
I don't normally use the 500GB mSATA Samsung EVO850 on the Pi, but since I have it of course I had to try it. What I actually use it for is a large capacity, ridiculously fast USB flash drive in the PC PARTS 239 USB 3.0 enclosure.

janos1

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:16 am

Hi to all,it is possible to start my PI 3 B+ but no SD card slot,it broke off?Thank you

HawaiianPi

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:35 am

janos1 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:16 am
Hi to all,it is possible to start my PI 3 B+ but no SD card slot,it broke off?Thank you
Yes, the newer 3B+ model comes from the factory with USB boot enabled out of the box. Just write the latest Raspbian Stretch image to a USB drive the same way you'd write an SD card (use Etcher). Most USB drives will work, but there are a few that may be incompatible, so if one doesn't work, try another.

My 3B+ is currently booting from an mSATA SSD in a tiny USB 3.0 external enclosure (see picture a few posts up)

janos1

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Thank you for your help,just one more Q my sd reader plate the tiny metal on the back site is broke off,am steel able to try USB boot?

HawaiianPi

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:30 pm

janos1 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:26 pm
Thank you for your help,just one more Q my sd reader plate the tiny metal on the back site is broke off,am steel able to try USB boot?
Yes, you can try USB boot, assuming nothing else was damaged on your Pi3B+ when the SD card slot was broken. As I said above, the 3B+ has USB boot enabled out of the box, so there is no need to set OTP bits like there was on the older model Pi3B (USB boot OTP bit is already set).
  1. Grab the latest Raspbian image from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
  2. Grab the Etcher software from https://etcher.io/
  3. Use Etcher to write the Raspbian image to your USB drive
    • You don't need to extract the image or format the drive prior to writing
    • Just run Etcher, choose the Raspbian .zip you downloaded, pick your USB drive and write
    • If you have trouble, verify the SHA256 checksum of the download
    • Writing an image to your USB drive will erase everything previously on it (backup important data)!
  4. Once Etcher has finished writing and verifying the USB drive you can use it to boot your Pi3B+

janos1

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:46 pm

Thank you for your replay and help,look like something else is wrong because do not boot .Probable when i try to re solder i did something wrong or the overflow solder i try to clean up i made something more.Thank you for your time and help.

Phosy

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:46 pm

pure usb boot without anavar Review sd card required man this is gonna be cool thank you
Last edited by Phosy on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lorry

Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:16 am

Hi
PI2B v1.2 able to USB Boot w/o SD Card by just setting the OTP bits?
Thanks!

Return to “General discussion”