WPBGeek

New to Pi need ideas

Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:23 pm

Hello, I am new to Raspberry Pi and for my first project i want to mirror my iPhone to a TV. I want my messages and alerts to come up on a screen. I don't know where to start or what parts i would need. Any help would be great. Thanks

Goraxium

Re: New to Pi need ideas

Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:48 am

Regarding the messages being on the TV, do you mean while something else is on? If so, you're going to need hardware that injects text into the video stream (which may be an expensive thing to set up). Interaction with those devices will be another issue in itself... If you don't care about anything else being on, displaying text with a Pi is trivial.

As for the iPhone connectivity, the simplest solution would be an app that reads the messages and connects to a server on the Pi over wifi and sends the messages through.

WPBGeek

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:40 am

Nothing else will be on. I built a two way mirror with a 19in screen behind it. I want my notifications to pop up on the screen because I'll be able to see them. Thank you

Goraxium

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:37 pm

The easiest solution I can think of at the moment, is to forward your messages as emails (as seen here: http://www.digitaltrends.com/how-to/how ... -to-email/), then use NodeRed to read and display them (you may need to build a small program to display the messages using SDL or something similar (unless there's another way)).

Return to “General discussion”