zeha

How do you organize your microSD cards?

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi there,

currently I have 3 microSD-cards for my Raspberry Pi projects. It's so easy to lose them, that's why I have them all in a tiny SD-card-box which also is able to store microSD cards.

But something is really annoying with those cards - they are so small that you cannot properly label them! Also, mine are black (with some white logos on it), so you cannot even use a permanent marker to write on them.

At the moment, I have a small piece of paper inside my SD-card-box, which has a list like:
- Kingston 16 GB: RetroPie
- Transcend 8 GB: Minibian
- Transcend 16 GB: whatever

So this makes it at least SOMEHOW usable. Also it's good that all of my microSD cards are different, either in capacity or brand. But labelling them would be so much cooler. So what is your way of keeping them apart? Do you have a better strategy than mine? Or do you maybe even have a way of labelling them?

RaTTuS

Re: How do you organize your microSD cards?

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:32 pm

use a sticky label and attach them to the card - you can also get hold of them on friction sockets like the Pi0

[dymo labelpoint [23]50's are good for this http://www.canford.co.uk/Images/ItemIma ... 802_01.jpg]
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

blc

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Simple: if they're in my storage box then they're erasable. uSD cards are so small that it's damn hard to label them, and I have multiple generations of Pi which need different software loadouts depending on what I'm doing with them. If I have a long-term need (i.e. more than a few weeks) for a uSD card to be used in a Pi then the Pi goes into a case and the case gets a label.

On a slightly off-topic tangent: I worked out recently that all my uSD cards add up to a total capacity of 296GB. The fact that you can get 128GB of storage in something so small is mind-boggling.

procount

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:50 pm

I make sure all my micro SD cards come with a full size SD adaptor and I store them in those when not in use to make sure I don't lose them.
I use an edding white glass/Metal/Plastic 0.8mm paint marker pen to number each micro SD card, and I number the SD adaptor similarly.
I keep track of what is on each numbered card separately (paper, spreadsheet etc) so that I don't have to change the info on the card itself.
Then I store my adaptors in an SD card wallet/holder. I have 3: one for blank cards, one for cards in use (development), and another for master copies that I want to keep.

It's an OK method, but the paint does tend to wear off after a while, so it is necessary to redo them occasionally.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

JimmyN

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:26 pm

I use this little aluminum case. Double sided, 8 microSD slots on one side, plus 1 SD slot where I keep spare cards. The other side holds 3 SD's and I keep my SD>microSD adapters on that side. I think it was 4.95 on ebay, free shipping from China, wait three weeks. It's a nice little case.

I drew a grid to number each slot in the case, and have a little notebook with info about each card (size, what's on it, last update, whether its a backup of another card, etc). On the back of the card I use a silver sharpie and number them using Roman numerals, so I can make sure I put them back in the correct slot. Roman numerals are all straight lines, so with a fine tip silver Sharpie you can write them pretty small and it's still legible. I should have turned one over when I took the photo so you could see the back.

As you can see cards #1 (OSMC) and #4 (Raspbian with 7" touchscreen) are currently in use.

ajlenze

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:30 pm

I bought this credit card size case at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S ... i_detailpa. It holds 8 micro SD cards and has labels for each carrying slot that you can write on in pencil and erase and change later. It's about as thick as two or three credit cards, so you can carry it in your wallet.

If you search for "microSD card holder" on Amazon, there are some other intriguing possibilities.

kusti8

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:19 pm

I go by the principle that if I can't remember what was on the microSD card, then its not important. I have a box where I keep all of them and if there is something important, I either put it on my HDD or create a backup.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

zeha

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks for your suggestions!
I think I might go for one of those boxes, there are quite a few different ones available with different advantages/disadvantages. But interesting to see that almost nobody labels the card directly - which seems almost impossible, anyway. Somehow I also have the feeling that even IF i put a small label there, it might go off when being inserted into the Pi or so...

bensimmo

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:18 am

I have coloured 'dot stickers' on them and also and the same larger uSD/SD card adaptor.
The price cost for the adapter was nothing (Samsung EVO, etc) and often cheaper and is part of the package.
The bigger shape is harder to loose, easier to label and just stick the same coloured dot on it.

mikerr

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:27 am

I use these pouches

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-slots-Po ... B00B5QUKGW

but I put the microSD card in their SD adaptors (microSD is too small)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

fruit-uk

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:28 am

I keep mine in a box in small ziplock bags with a description written on the bag

blaablaaguy

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:14 pm

You could mark them with a white sharpie or tipex. Tipex would probably scrape off and get into the sd slot tho
This signature intentionally left blank.

Return to “General discussion”