biwa7636

Booting picture.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:23 am

Dear Guys,
I am wondering is there a way or not that we can modify the booting user interface.
I don't want to see all different colors of code running through very quickly, can we hide them?
maybe a blinking cursor like booting windows sometime...
what is better, can we see a picture instead of seeing the rolling code...
thanks!

Jim JKla

Re: Booting picture.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:45 am

There is a way you need to make your RPi start using a second terminal (tty2) and jump back at the end.

If you are a noob user just put up with it for now you will be able to change it later for now its the least of your problems and at least it tels you the RPi is starting. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

biwa7636

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Jim JKla wrote:There is a way you need to make your RPi start using a second terminal (tty2) and jump back at the end.

If you are a noob user just put up with it for now you will be able to change it later for now its the least of your problems and at least it tels you the RPi is starting. ;)
Yes, I am indeed new to Linux and I feel very interested in figuring out the background mechanism and especially the booting process.
Thanks for your information and I am learning switch from different tty right now.
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=31138
(This is one of the threads that I found might be helpful to other people and I am still not quite sure how to get it work)

pluggy

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:34 pm

I suspect that a FreeBSD forum isn't the ideal place to start for Linux solutions. They are both UNIX derivatives and embrace open source but they are chalk and cheese.

A little insight : http://www.free-soft.org/FSM/english/is ... ocate.html
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Max

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Try adding "quiet console=tty2" to cmdline.txt on the FAT partition of the SD card to prevent text output.

biwa7636

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Max wrote:Try adding "quiet console=tty2" to cmdline.txt on the FAT partition of the SD card to prevent text output.
Did you append "quiet console=tty2" to the end of the /boot/cmdline.txt ?
It doesn't work...
The content of /boot/cmdline.txt is like below

Code: Select all

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMAO,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMAO,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblkOp2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
I try to change console=tty1 to console=tty2 but doesn't work still....
I don't know what is ttyAMAO, 115200 seems like the baudrate....

Max

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:10 pm

Just "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait quiet console=tty2" should be enough.
ttyAMA is if for when you want to use serial console.

Return to “General discussion”