Guide: Firefox Release on Raspbian Jessie

26 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by schwarzr » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:05 pm
A clean way to install the Firefox Release (currently version 50) on Raspbian. The package is specifically compiled and optimized for Raspbian distribution, not Ubuntu nor Debian. It should run under Raspbian Jessie on all Raspberry Pi boards, including Raspberry Pi-1.

Simply add the "q4os-extra" repository from the Q4OS site and install "firefox" package. Follow terminal commands:
Code: Select all
echo 'deb http://q4os.org/qextrepo q4os-rpi-firefox-cn main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/qextrepo.list
wget -nv -O- http://q4os.org/qextrepo/q4a-q4os.gpg.pub | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox

If you want to install German language pack, install "firefox-l10n-de" package. Of course, you can use any gui package manager too. Enjoy 8-)
Last edited by schwarzr on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
by SonOfAMotherlessGoat » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:23 pm
http://www.pgpi.org/doc/pgpintro/#p17

And really, check out Let's Encrypt, you shouldn't be using plain `http` addresses for things like Repos or Distros.

I have no problem with your contribution, but prove who you are please?
Account Inactive
by fruitoftheloom » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:38 pm
I prefer to use the Extended Release version of Firefox which is in Raspbian Jessie if fully updated :D :D
Ex Computer Repair & Service Technician.
RPi 3B, HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer, Google Chromecast, Android Smart Phone, HD 1080p TV and 3/4G Mobile Internet make ideal companions.
by schwarzr » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:43 pm
SonOfAMotherlessGoat wrote:I have no problem with your contribution, but prove who you are please?

I am a Q4OS developer, Raspberry Pi staff has approved us to contribute here, in this forum. Firefox release for Raspbian Jessie didn't exist before, as far as I know. It could be desired new feature for some users, so posted here.

SonOfAMotherlessGoat wrote:... you shouldn't be using plain `http` addresses for things like Repos or Distros.

You are right, nonetheless there are many well known 'http deb ...' references around, for example http://mozilla.debian.net/

fruitoftheloom wrote:I prefer to use the Extended Release version of Firefox which is in Raspbian Jessie if fully updated :D :D

Ok
Extended Support Release = version 45
Release = version 47
Last edited by schwarzr on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
by fruitoftheloom » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:51 pm
schwarzr wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:I prefer to use the Extended Release version of Firefox which is in Raspbian Jessie if fully updated :D :D

Ok
Extended Support Release = version 45
Release = version 47

Extended Support Release = version 45.2.0
Attachments
ffesr.png
ffesr.png (13.32 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
RPi 3B, HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer, Google Chromecast, Android Smart Phone, HD 1080p TV and 3/4G Mobile Internet make ideal companions.
by SonOfAMotherlessGoat » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:54 pm
schwarzr wrote:I am a Q4OS developer, Raspberry Pi stuff has approved us to contribute here, in this forum. Firefox release for Raspbian Jessie didn't exist before, as far as I know. It could be desired new feature for some users, so posted here.

Hi! Nice to meet you, I'm SoAMG. You obviously have put effort into this, so why only do it part way? Your PGP is self signed with no other signatures to verify whats on the tin, and PGP.MIT.EDU has no keys listed for your domain. If you'd like people to use your stuffs, they are far more likely to do so if they see that there is more than "I promise I am who I am, and I haven't done anything with the code". I'd like my FF to not drop my Pis on a BotNet. Fair enough?

You are right, nonetheless there are many well known 'http deb ...' references around, for example http://mozilla.debian.net/

So get yourself signed with a key, EC if you please, and update to https, people looking at old instructions will still resolve correctly and from henceforth you now have an https repo. Again, it's really a small effort and it goes to show your users that you give a rats tuchus about them. I trust Mozilla, they've been at the game for a while. You need to prove you are trustworthy.

Awe FOTL, live life on the bleeding edge! :)
Account Inactive
by schwarzr » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:12 pm
@SonOfAMotherlessGoat
Hi SoAMG, have to agree with you. We are a small player at the time, however I can promise, I am who I am :), and will take a look how to improve trustworthiness, in any case thanks for the suggestions.
by schwarzr » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:03 am
New Firefox ver. 50 for Raspbian has been included in the extra repository. Everyone could follow the steps above to get the latest FF Release on Raspbian.
by Micha1982 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:42 am
Any chances for a newer version? 52? 53 maybe?

(or a how-to-compile-by-yourself? :) Is it possible to compile a armv8/-only-version maybe?))
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.
by gkreidl » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:51 am
Micha1982 wrote:Any chances for a newer version? 52? 53 maybe?

(or a how-to-compile-by-yourself? :) Is it possible to compile a armv8/-only-version maybe?))

You can install Ubuntu 14.04 versions from http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/po ... f/firefox/
Download the matching armhf packages into a directory and install them with
sudo dpkg *
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer
by Micha1982 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:29 am
gkreidl wrote:
Micha1982 wrote:Any chances for a newer version? 52? 53 maybe?

You can install Ubuntu 14.04 versions from http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/po ... f/firefox/
Download the matching armhf packages into a directory and install them with
sudo dpkg *
Are these working as they should and not crashing on some pages like Jimdo as I have had it at my last tryout?
by gkreidl » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:49 am
Why don't you simply test it? Just takes a few minutes.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
by Micha1982 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:12 am
gkreidl wrote:Why don't you simply test it? Just takes a few minutes.

Cause I have a mint install which I do not want to fill with broken stuff and waste minutes/eventually hours to remove that again what I could break in minutes?

I want a working and as clean as possible system and no tryouts all the time. Alles was schiefgehen kann wird auch schiefgehen.....

But this is Linux... :( No way to avoid that if you want "something"....

I am going to try now....again...

(it could be much easier for many users if there would have been an actual version into Raspbians repository....but I know, thats Mozillas 'fault'...)
by Micha1982 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:30 am
Done (and - as expected - wasted my time)

The Ubuntu-way does not work .

This thread here, what schwarzr has done, works fine - but its v50, its outdated.

So, @schwarzr, how did you have done this? Can you give us an detailed explanation (or a newer release - v55) please?
Is e10s working in your version?

We definately need a working Firefox here, its a completely shame in my opinion that it isnt available, only this Chromium-sh.. or ESR- with all its flaws (strange version-numbering, missing e10s, more unsecure (as stated in its own docs) - I want Firefox. Non-ESR. 55/latest stable and or betas - and wanna tryout the 4 content-processes and its speed if anyhow possible.

So pls tell me how exactly, what do I need to do to compile by myself exactly or do it for us, please.

Things like Firefox or VLC with hardware-acceleration definately should belong into Raspbians repository in my opinion !!
by rpiboy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:08 am
Micha1982 wrote:
gkreidl wrote:Why don't you simply test it? Just takes a few minutes.

Cause I have a mint install which I do not want to fill with broken stuff and waste minutes/eventually hours to remove that again what I could break in minutes?

I want a working and as clean as possible system and no tryouts all the time. Alles was schiefgehen kann wird auch schiefgehen.....

But this is Linux... :( No way to avoid that if you want "something"....

I am going to try now....again...

(it could be much easier for many users if there would have been an actual version into Raspbians repository....but I know, thats Mozillas 'fault'...)

I'm a noob but I understand you can simply just install Raspbian Jessie on another sd card and test it?
by rpiboy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:14 am
Micha1982 wrote:Done (and - as expected - wasted my time)

This thread here, what schwarzr has done, works fine - but its v50, its outdated.

So, @schwarzr, how did you have done this? Can you give us an detailed explanation (or a newer release - v55) please?

We definately need a working Firefox here, its a completely shame in my opinion that it isnt available, only this Chromium-sh.. or ESR- with all its flaws (strange version-numbering, missing e10s, more unsecure (as stated in its own docs) - I want Firefox. Non-ESR. 55/latest stable and or betas - and wanna tryout the 4 content-processes and its speed if anyhow possible.

So pls tell me how exactly, what do I need to do to compile by myself exactly or do it for us, please.

Things like Firefox or VLC with hardware-acceleration definately should belong into Raspbians repository in my opinion !!

I don't think the Raspberry Pi was meant to be a desktop replacement as the cpu was too slow (PI b, b+) for a real "desktop-like experience".
by gkreidl » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:46 am
Micha1982 wrote:Done (and - as expected - wasted my time)

1) Latest firefox version at ports.ubuntu.com is 54. If you download and install the ubuntu 14.04 version (no other!) it will work (RPi 2 and 3 only). I just tested it. You have to remove firefox-esr and iceweasel (dummy package) before trying to install it.

2) Firefox ESR is secure. It gets security fixes from Mozilla.

Raspbian is Debian and it's the Debian philosophy not to add newer versions to a stable system, only bug and security fixes. The Foundation already has added some newer or modified stuff through it's own repository (on top of standard Raspbian), which is nice but sometimes also breaks a number of things.
by Micha1982 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:54 am
What version you are talking about exactly
(edit: watch next posting, also tested 'your' firefox_54.0+build3-0ubuntu0.14.04.1_armhf.deb (with the same result))

This here https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=150438&hilit=latest+firefox
does NOT work.

And it seems to me, it IS the Ubuntu-version, isnt it?
Posting 1,
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa/ubuntu trusty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa/ubuntu trusty main
And it does NOT work as it should.

Tested it months ago and some days ago on an almost mint install. Checked it again, I have no Iceweasel, no Iceweasel-dummy-stuff and no firefox-ESR-stuff installed. Nothing.(or in other words I cant find anything relating to firefox-esr or firefox or iceweasel, wherever I look at).

Test it better before saying that it is working, please... !

Watch its console AND open more webpages (especially made with Jimdo (!) ) before saying that it is working.
It does not. It crashes on some (many?) webpages.

I tested it too - several times for now.
Last edited by Micha1982 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
by Micha1982 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 am
And as if I have nothing better to do, I also gave 'your'
firefox_54.0+build3-0ubuntu0.14.04.1_armhf.deb
a try (again...) ...with the same result.
As said - test it better before saying its working. It does NOT work for me. And I cant believe that I make such a mistake to not install it correct or left parts of iceweasel or ESR...otherwise tell me please which parts of ESR and iceweasel I have to search for exactly. I can't find anything left or releated to them here.

Atm I say what you are saing is not true, the ubuntu-versions does NOT work. Test it better, please before saying they work.

Whyever the ONLY ('normal'/non-ESR) version which seems running fine atm on Raspbian is the (outdated :( ) compiled version by schwarzr! All others producing errors and crashes on some/many? webpages.
by gkreidl » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:50 am
I'm not a regular Firfox user on the RPi; I just use it for websites which don't work in kweb (or are too slow) and when I want to avoid chromium to force my system into swapping (freezing for some time). Before we got the ESR version, I had always used versions from ports.ununtu.com. Just to help you I removed the ESR version and installed the latest Ubuntu 14.04 version again and tested it and it worked. Meanwhile I'm back to ESR.

Of course a test doesn't mean that I open every website in the world and check if it works. Instead or ranting and complaining and shouting at people who just want to help you, you could simply give us a simple example (link) of a web page that lets Firefox crash.
by Micha1982 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:29 pm
gkreidl wrote:Of course a test doesn't mean that I open every website in the world and check if it works. Instead or ranting and complaining and shouting at people who just want to help you, you could simply give us a simple example (link) of a web page that lets Firefox crash.
Link

Its still actual...Ubuntu-versions seems to be not working proper on Raspbian.
by fruitoftheloom » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Micha1982 wrote:
gkreidl wrote:Of course a test doesn't mean that I open every website in the world and check if it works. Instead or ranting and complaining and shouting at people who just want to help you, you could simply give us a simple example (link) of a web page that lets Firefox crash.
Link

Its still actual...Ubuntu-versions seems to be not working proper on Raspbian to me.

Maybe get another SD Card and try Ubuntu-Mate Distro ??

https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/
by Micha1982 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:55 pm
I do not want another distro and I do not want Chromium or a castrated Esr.

I want a normal Firefox on Raspbian if anyhow possible.

@schwarzr: how did you have made your Firefox? Can you give us an actual version or a manual how to do it ourself, please??
by gkreidl » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:05 pm
Micha1982 wrote:I do not want another distro and I do not want Chromium or a castrated Esr.

I want a normal Firefox on Raspbian if anyhow possible.

@schwarzr: how did you have made your Firefox? Can you give us an actual version or a manual how to do it ourself, please??

You Can't Always Get What You Want
:lol:
by runboy93 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:37 pm
What is ESR available for RPi? Anyone have how to guide?

My oldie pentium 4 had performance boost from ESR few days ago, used few hours to tweak 99% all settings to minimal as possible, cpu usage and ram usage decreased dramatically, and boot was faster than it was default.

So was thinking, my RPi 3 is better than my pentium 4 pc (really, just low end 2ghz something single core, 512mb ram, old unsupported gpu which any browser can't use), if my pentium 4 got so snappy, I wonder how RPi 3 would do.
RPi 3 tweaks by runboy93
https://pastebin.com/raw/TBzXDUp0