wahlterh

RPi 4 and USB3 and Gbit ?

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:12 pm

I love my RPi´s and changed from a W2k8R2 machine to a RPi3, but I'm missing Gigabit ethernet and USB 3 as I use it as a NAS....

Anybody know if RPi 4 may have these????

Jednorozec

Re: RPi 4 and USB3 and Gbit ?

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Speculation is useless.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:50 pm

wahlterh wrote:I love my RPi´s and changed from a W2k8R2 machine to a RPi3, but I'm missing Gigabit ethernet and USB 3 as I use it as a NAS....

This topic has been flogged to death, RPT / RPF do not provide timelines.

You obviously bought the wrong SBC, but welcome anyway..

...but you can get better LAN speed with a Gigabit USB Adaptor:

http://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff- ... networking
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:50 pm

wahlterh wrote:I love my RPi´s and changed from a W2k8R2 machine to a RPi3, but I'm missing Gigabit ethernet and USB 3 as I use it as a NAS....

The only thing actually "known" about a possible "Rpi4" is that, at the launch of the Pi3B, Dr. Upton said not to expect a newer model for 2 to 3 years. So don't expect to see it until at least 2018.

I have some hopes and conclusions I draw from that (plus some conversations) are pretty thin speculation.

Heater

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Why do these questions keep occurring?

I mean, I just bought a Lamborghini Aventador for 30 bucks that does 217mph.

When is Lamborghini going to make an Aventador 2 that does 400mph?

Oh, and by the way I want it to carry 50 people whilst doing so.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

bensimmo

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:35 pm

Heater wrote:Why do these questions keep occurring?

I mean, I just bought a Lamborghini Aventador for 30 bucks that does 217mph.

When is Lamborghini going to make an Aventador 2 that does 400mph?

Oh, and by the way I want it to carry 50 people whilst doing so.
Because people like to know and speculate and chat. It's sociable talk.
There is no Pi4 Zero20 A++ sticky that they might happen to notice or be directed to, so people will post, this is just general discussion.

And no people will not search this sort of thing, never going to happen in a chat and help forum.

DirkS

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:46 pm

bensimmo wrote:There is no Pi4 Zero20 A++ sticky that they might happen to notice or be directed to, so people will post, this is just general discussion.
You can fill the first page of every section of the forum with stickies like that and people will still come up with these posts...

Pithagoros

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:12 pm

If the Foundation don't include the 1152 Qubit quantum processor (which they could licence from D-Wave) in the RPi4 then I am going to be royally disappointed and will be hurling my Pine A64 and most of my Arduinos out of my pram.
Last edited by Pithagoros on Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0xFF

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:15 pm

Yes, there is gigabit ether and USB3 on board, also SATA is included.
But I suggest you to wait for RPI5 with SSD 3.14TB drive. Will be even faster and even cheaper.

blaablaaguy

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:42 pm

No, the rpi4 will have yottabit etherenet and USB 3.14, an intel i7 processer, 8gb of ram and a 1TB ssd.
The only catch is an expected $5 price rise and its expected to be released just after this thread is locked.
This signature intentionally left blank.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:35 pm

I want demand insist have this for $35.00

http://lenovator.com/product/103.html
Retired disgracefully.....

Jednorozec

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:02 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:I want demand insist have this for $35.00

You forgot the two free ponies.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

DougieLawson

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:03 pm

Jednorozec wrote:

Pink ponies and the Unicorn.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

davidcoton

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:26 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Jednorozec wrote:

Now you mention it, we need two unicorns -- one pink and one silver -- so that students can study the colouration genetics of future generations of unicorns. Remember the Foundation's aims.
Signature retired

ejolson

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:54 pm

Heater wrote:Why do these questions keep occurring?
One reason such threads keep happening is because they keep getting locked or deleted. Establishing a sticky thread entitled "new product speculation and feature requests" where people could post questions and feedback might help significantly in preventing the same theme over and over in the general forum.

FlexibleSigmoid

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:00 pm

You know that's just going to lead to posts consisting of "I know there's a post about this, but" or "I really don't have time to search or read through threads, can you just answer my question now please?"

CarlRJ

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:11 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Jednorozec wrote:You forgot the two free ponies.
Sigh, people hear a bit of the story and think they understand the whole thing. What's actually happening is that there are no ponies and only one unicorn, and you don't get to keep it. Sasquatch will be riding the unicorn as he goes door to door delivering the next Pi.

ejolson

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:16 pm

FlexibleSigmoid wrote:You know that's just going to lead to posts consisting of "I know there's a post about this, but" or "I really don't have time to search or read through threads, can you just answer my question now please?"
It is not possible to post feature requests to a post that has been locked. That is why such topics are always new threads. It would be better to have a single sticky thread where people could post in a way like the "Introduce Yourself" thread.

davidcoton

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:12 pm

We obviously need a referendum.
Do you think there should be a sticky thread called "Two Unicorns and a Pony" for posts about feature requests for future versions of the Pi?
Signature retired

FlexibleSigmoid

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:25 pm

ejolson wrote:It is not possible to post feature requests to a post that has been locked. That is why such topics are always new threads. It would be better to have a single sticky thread where people could post in a way like the "Introduce Yourself" thread.
True, locked threads can't be posted to. But they can be searched. Example: Search 'gigabit' - Result viewtopic.php?f=63&t=152548&p=999919&hi ... it#p999938

It's a game of whack-a-mole, and why have an ongoing thread where the only official response is "No Response"?

Mindrobots

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:03 am

I actually have a couple of Pi-zeros on my bench now, so I'll believe in unicorns, Nessie or anything else in the RPI4 feature list!!

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:28 am

Possibly what is needed is a stickied thread that has a list of suggested upgrades, with a disclaimer that merely listing them does NOT constitute endorsement of them nor plans to include any of them at a future date. The thread might have to be locked to prevent the usual "food fights" over which features some people want and others don't. The starting list itself could be updated if anyone suggests--by e-mailing a moderator (or a supplied special forum mailbox)--a truly novel idea that isn't already there. After a fairly short period, there probably won't be any additional entries.

ejolson

Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:38 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:Possibly what is needed is a stickied thread that has a list of suggested upgrades, with a disclaimer that merely listing them does NOT constitute endorsement of them nor plans to include any of them at a future date. The thread might have to be locked to prevent the usual "food fights" over which features some people want and others don't. The starting list itself could be updated if anyone suggests--by e-mailing a moderator (or a supplied special forum mailbox)--a truly novel idea that isn't already there. After a fairly short period, there probably won't be any additional entries.
Locking the sticky thread shouldn't be necessary since all feature request posts would be in a single place. While there are better ways to do market research than soliciting feedback from a forum, the current ritual of ridiculing new members for wanting a unicorn when they suggest a feature which doesn't exist is destructive. Such requests are usually well intentioned and often come from younger Pi enthusiasts. If properly guided, such people could contribute many things to the forum; if openly made fun of and their thread locked or deleted, those contributions will be lost.

stderr

Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:17 am

Jednorozec wrote:Speculation is useless.
This is ironic since what is complaining about speculation?

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:45 am

ejolson wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:Possibly what is needed is a stickied thread that has a list of suggested upgrades, with a disclaimer that merely listing them does NOT constitute endorsement of them nor plans to include any of them at a future date. The thread might have to be locked to prevent the usual "food fights" over which features some people want and others don't. The starting list itself could be updated if anyone suggests--by e-mailing a moderator (or a supplied special forum mailbox)--a truly novel idea that isn't already there. After a fairly short period, there probably won't be any additional entries.
Locking the sticky thread shouldn't be necessary since all feature request posts would be in a single place. While there are better ways to do market research than soliciting feedback from a forum, the current ritual of ridiculing new members for wanting a unicorn when they suggest a feature which doesn't exist is destructive. Such requests are usually well intentioned and often come from younger Pi enthusiasts. If properly guided, such people could contribute many things to the forum; if openly made fun of and their thread locked or deleted, those contributions will be lost.
If a thread isn't locked, then when the inevitable fights break out, it is an onerous task for the moderators to have to constanly check the thread, or respond to reports.

I agree that most feature request and speculation threads are well meaning. One issue they create is that there are also old pesters who have seen the same thing, time and again, and complain about it. The actual solution to the problem is, of course, a web search to find out if the topic has come up before, what was said, and whether or not any conclusions were determined. However, in a world where you can't get people to read the stickies with subject lines that specifically apply to a question being asked, expecting people to do a little basic research appears to be asking too much.

If the objections were limited to the "pony and unicorn" suggestions, we'd actually be ahead of the game.

Return to “General discussion”