JeffHoogland

Fake Raspberry Pi

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:25 pm

Might want to send these people a note telling them to stop using your name -> http://www.quickembed.com/Tools/Shop/So ... 8/260.html

~Jeff

twocvbloke

Re: Fake Raspberry Pi

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:30 pm

Noting that they are located in Shanghai, China (the address is at the bottom of the page) then there's little chance they'll listen to any western copyrights on trademark names, as with any fake goods that come from there... :|

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Sample price is exactly announced hereby above.
All your base are belong to us. :lol:

Had to work very hard to find the price on that page. $69 - more like raspberry poo if you ask me. :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

BigAl1452

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:30 pm

"You know you have hit the big time when people copy you.................... but you will always be the original!!! " :D :D :D

cutterjohn

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:04 pm

It's better than an rpi actually. It would sound like it has an Allwinner A-10 SoC, but it's actually only 1GHz as they're pulling the typically Chinese deception of going 1GHz CPU + 500MHz GPU =WOW! 1.5GHz. (They did this with rockchip devices as well 600MHz ARM11 + 400MHz DSP = 1GHz.)

I pretty much have one of those minus the GPIO access, MK802 and a Smallart Uhost.

That Allwinner A-10 BTW actually does have a cortex-a8 CPU block + MALI-400 MP GPU block, but there's little support from Allwinner for linux. e.g. xbmc was trying to get Allwinner to update their VPU libs for linux and all they got back was (a) pretend like they cared (b) break contact (c) when finally responding say something about a new lib to be released soon (d) send the same exact OLD lib out again claiming it's new (e) when asked why the files have the same old date as the old libs, lie and say oh they build machine has the wrong date (f) when asked why same md5sums clam up and disappear...

Moral of story hw accell xbmc for allwinner is dead(unless allwinner wises up), and they're moving onto the Pivos Xios DS which uses the Amlogic 8726-M3 (cortex-a9 + mali) which already has Android ICS and a beta xbmc(linux) fw. Technically the CPU is rated at 1GHz, but they use a 65nm mfg process and because of thermal problems it generally only will run stable @ 800MHz w/o help so most devices ship 800MHz max, they also gimped the L2 cache. (I have a JXD s5110 which uses this SoC.)

Now IF that board was Amlogic based I'd be saying hmmm.... right now.... (as in strongly tempted to order one).

ejsolutions

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Wonder if that one supports most power supplies, USB devices and has decent polyfuses! :roll:

lostintime

Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:28 am

ejsolutions wrote:Wonder if that one supports most power supplies, USB devices and has decent polyfuses! :roll:
I would put money on it.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:27 am

ejsolutions wrote:Wonder if that one supports most power supplies, USB devices and has decent polyfuses! :roll:
Bit snarky. USB problems almost fixed, polyfuses in progress. And buy a decent power supply that actually does what it says on the outside.

The Allwinner device was designed and fabbed in less than a year (an impressive feat in itself). But how good do you think it *really* is, given the comparative years of development gone in to the BRCM2835? I believe there are some performance benchmarks being done somewhere that people will find quite interesting.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jamesh

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:29 am

lostintime wrote:
I would put money on it.
I wouldn't. You want to put money on a brand new untested out of china board vs an in the market for 6 months, heavily tested, and almost fixed, board?
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

gritz

Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:24 am

I was awoken by the sound of handbags. :roll: :lol:

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It's interesting to note that this isn't the usual Chinese lookey-likey complete with logos, faux packaging and the like. It might even light up (after a fashion) with power applied. Possibly intended primarily for the far-eastern market (even though the site is in comedy Engrish)?

Finally, (on a more philosophical note) perhaps this demonstrates to doubters that there is a justification for the concept of intellectual property and the legal defence thereof.

lostintime

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:00 am

jamesh wrote:
lostintime wrote:
I would put money on it.
I wouldn't. You want to put money on a brand new untested out of china board vs an in the market for 6 months, heavily tested, and almost fixed, board?
"Heavily tested"? Yet you allegedly missed the glaring problems with the USB subsystem...

lostintime

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:19 am

jamesh wrote:
Bit snarky. USB problems almost fixed, polyfuses in progress. And buy a decent power supply that actually does what it says on the outside.

The Allwinner device was designed and fabbed in less than a year (an impressive feat in itself). But how good do you think it *really* is, given the comparative years of development gone in to the BRCM2835? I believe there are some performance benchmarks being done somewhere that people will find quite interesting.
CPU-wise the AllWinner A10 will blow the BCM2835 used in the Raspberry Pi away. It's a 1.2 GHz ARMv7 Cortex A8 versus a 700 MHz ARMv6.

franson

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:07 am

thank you all for interest.
we got to know Raspberry Pi is a trade mark, thanks for your kind remind, and we have changed our product name, into UPuter(Usb comPuter), as we think this kind of small computer should have more common use name like computer or pc, and it will become more and more popular.
yet now it is just a start.

franson

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:19 am

thanks for reminder we have changed name.
twocvbloke wrote:Noting that they are located in Shanghai, China (the address is at the bottom of the page) then there's little chance they'll listen to any western copyrights on trademark names, as with any fake goods that come from there... :|

hermanhermitage

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:53 am

lostintime wrote: CPU-wise the AllWinner A10 will blow the BCM2835 used in the Raspberry Pi away. It's a 1.2 GHz ARMv7 Cortex A8 versus a 700 MHz ARMv6.
Horses for courses. Like a favourite sports team, a favourite computer is probably something enjoyed at a arms length from ego.

Go with the RPi for the great eco system and educational values the foundation will attract. Go with another SBC with a modern ARM for less pain on CPU heavy work loads.

Definitely the ARMv6+cache configuration in the RPi is no speed demon and wont gain from the growing effort to tune libraries and packages around the ARMv7 instruction sets.

To some degree its a moot point until any of the ARM SoCs start using their silicon efficiently, or a $25-35 A10 solution appears.

On a separate matter, I'm totally over what I perceive as negative Chinese sentiments on the forums. We are one planet after all.

gritz

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:16 am

Every time that people start arguing about details whilst completely missing the original point I'm minded of the 'He has given us... His shoe!' scene from Monty Python's Life of Brian:

http://arago4.tnw.utwente.nl/stonedead/ ... ne-18.html

Carry on with the shoe discussion, guys.

Jim JKla

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:58 am

There is an argument that competition is good for development. Remember the BBC "B" did not evolve in a vacuum there was direct competition from the Sinclair spectrum and the Commadore 64 and others all of which pushed the advance of home computing.

This board is similar to the Raspberry but as was stated earlier it's not a lookalike copy there will even be room for packages to run on both "out of the box" although more likely "off of a download"

I see no issue provided they maintain some seperation but maintain competition if the future goes the way envisioned by Eben, Liz et-al there is going to be room in the market for even more of these smaller sized machines.

In some ways this is the re-launch of the Home Computer as opposed to the Personal Computer and maybe time for some new generic name like CCComputer (Credit Card Computer) or SDComputer reflecting the methodof having the OS on an SD card.

I wonder when we are going to get some entrprising youth who develops an SD card image that will load and run in both. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

RaTTuS

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:21 am

gritz wrote:Every time that people start arguing about details whilst completely missing the original point I'm minded of the 'He has given us... His shoe!' scene from Monty Python's Life of Brian:

http://arago4.tnw.utwente.nl/stonedead/ ... ne-18.html

Carry on with the shoe discussion, guys.
No Follow the Gourd!
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Jim JKla

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:10 am

That would be on a MullberyPi :D

Or was it the JuniperberryPi :?:
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

JonB

Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:01 pm

"If you want to know how UPuter Pi taste, please take a bite by yourself."

Ho, ho, ho. Plaguiarists.

CianHa

Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Jim JKla wrote:That would be on a MullberyPi :D

Or was it the JuniperberryPi :?:
Splitter!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Wolf's nipples, anybody?

On the A10 point, though - we've got an interesting benchmarking post coming up in the next week or so (and I have suddenly acquired a large number of unbranded Chinese tablets as a result of the work we've been doing on this). I think you'll find the results very interesting. And I also note that one of the tablets arrived in the post with a curly human hair stuck between the glass of the screen and the substrate.

I was going to make a snarky comment about you getting what you pay for, then I remembered how much a Raspberry Pi goes for. So perhaps hair costs extra...
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

pygmy_giant

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:39 pm

hair today, gone tomorrow ...

... I like them all, but I'm sticking with the one I've got.

They are all cheap partly because they are all made in China (including the Pi) - so lets not be 'snarky' about Chinese manufacturing - God bless the Chinese.

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/13/pg13.txt

jamesh

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:24 am

lostintime wrote:
"Heavily tested"? Yet you allegedly missed the glaring problems with the USB subsystem...
Yes, we know there is a USB problem, we didn't when it was released - but then as be said many times before, this beta was released with the expectation that problems like this would be found by the community and then fixed - did you miss that memo? If you keep up with this unnecessary unpleasantness I will a) start deleting the posts, b) Ban you.

These sorts of comments add NOTHING to the discussion, please please refrain from posting them.

lostintime

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:39 am

jamesh wrote:
lostintime wrote:
Yes, we know there is a USB problem, we didn't when it was released...
Then that is incompetence, pure and simple. At the very least you should've been aware of the existence of the problems the Raspberry Pi has with its USB subsystem. They are issues that were immediately apparent to me and many others. They are issues severe enough that they should've prevented the Pi from being released until they were fixed.
...but then as be said many times before, this beta was released with the expectation that problems like this would be found by the community and then fixed - did you miss that memo?
Beta hardware? Yes, I missed that memo. Or did you mean beta drivers for hardware lacking public documentation, i.e. the Synopsys USB controller? Exactly how to you think the "community" can fix these problems? How many people do you think have tried and failed to achieve this in the past with other devices which also use this problematic controller?
If you keep up with this unnecessary unpleasantness I will a) start deleting the posts, b) Ban you. These sorts of comments add NOTHING to the discussion, please please refrain from posting them.
Do you think these sort of threats do?

I find it unacceptable that the Raspberry Pi Foundation has yet to formally acknowledge that the Raspberry Pi has any problems whatsoever, meaning it's quite easy for people to purchase a Pi while being completely oblivious to the fact that it has a known issue in a critical area which will affect the majority of its users in some way and which may never be fixed. It will be interesting to see what changes are made to the Raspberry Pi's hardware in the future and how they are justified by the Foundation when this situation is considered.

Return to “General discussion”