linkdude240

Possible Enthusiast Version

Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Hello, forum,

So the Raspberry Pi and surrounding user base as well as the foundation itself have always been about the educational market. This is, however not their only market.

If somebody theoretically funded/crowdfunded a bounty for the Pi Foundation to make an "enthusiast" grade (for my lack of a better term) Raspi, and the Pi Foundation sold it alongside the existing pis (continuing support) for a similar price point (profit percentage) what do you figure the price point would be for the following specs?

New Arm A72 cpu archetecture
Gigabit ethernet
Usb-c
4gb DDr3 ram

Obviously other portions of the board would have to change as well.

How much does the initial design phase for this kind of thing typically cost? Like how much would it realistically take to make it advantageous for the Pi foundation? Of course, this is pure speculation on my part regarding feasibility, so I guess that would be my next question:

Is the difference in the archetecture of the A72 that was recently released and the SOC on the Pi minimal enough that core functionality (kernel and OS) could remain as dead-simple as it has been? When they released the Pi 3, Pi2 functionality was untouched (nearly) as the two were cross compatible. Is this a poor assumtion in general to make?

Also, would we even notice the pergormance gains? I understand the Pi is working off of a 32-bit OS. Would say, Python multiprocessing libraries notice a gain in oomph? Or is the infrastructure of the Pi such that it would be the limiting factor for such a device?

The reason I ask is that lately a lot of hype has been generated for so-called faster boards than the Pi. I splurged ( not that it cost that much anyways) and got an ODROID-C2. I was overall impressed by the performance and presentation, but in general documentation seems sparse. Plus, a lot of people have had USB3 and GBE on the order list for a while. Not that it's detracted from the overall product (in my opinion), it just seems like the logical progression of the device. I, for one, would gladly throw a couple hundred dollars at an upgraded raspi if it was packing the kinds of responsiveness that some of these embedded devices(read as: mobile phones and tablets) have.

What are the common pitfalls to this sort of thing? And do you think that the Foundation would even consider jumstarting this idea if it was community-backed?

Thanks in advance!

HawaiianPi

Re: Possible Enthusiast Version

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:19 pm

linkdude240 wrote:...
Usb-c
No!!
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

asavah

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:22 pm

This is out of the scope of RPF goals.

However I'd buy at least a dozen of such enthusiast grade pis, even at 100$ each.
And I'm sure a lot of people would also second this.

Proper Gbit NIC ? - Yes, please, please,please.
RAM? - As much as you can solder to the board :)
emmc? - I'm in.
More CPU horsepower? - Yes, please.
Fancy extras? - Why not?

IMHO RPF should actually make such an enthusiast-pro-premium pi model.
The demand would be high.

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:30 pm

You're missing the main problem. There are ton's of SBCs with better performance, more options, customization to specific tasks, etc. You even mention one by name in your post.

Now here's the problem: Support.

The Raspberry Pi is so popular because it has a massive user base that feeds back into the system right here in the forums. Support for the entire Pi product line and every application it could possibly be used for is done here, and here's the catch, it's all done by volunteers. There really is no official Raspberry Pi Support, and that saves a tremendous amount of time, money and other resources that the RPF just doesn't have.

So, easiest solution, take the $100+ that you'd throw at the RPF for a product, and buy another product. Use the left over money to pay for someone to write the documentation and provide the support. Make the product that fits your use case and that already exists have the kind of support that is provided here. That's the RasPi killer, find someway to replicate what you have here in the forums.
Account Inactive

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:32 pm

I suggest that if you want a higher spec machine, go out and buy one of the higher spec machines that are already available. The PF doesn;t need to make another one!

As for future product, the RPF does not announce things in advance.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “General discussion”