Bleues63

Raspberry Pi - which to get

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:46 am

I am new to this but want to learn. What model of Raspberry Pi should I start off with.

[mod: edit title to be more descriptive]

HawaiianPi

Re: Raspberry Pi

Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:59 am

Depends on what you want to spend. If you can afford $35, plus some extra for the accessories you might need, go for the Pi3. It's the fastest Pi, and the only one with WiFi and Bluetooth built-in (in addition to Ethernet).

Consider that all Raspberry Pi computers are just bare boards, so you may or may not need:

Power supply (5.1V/2.5A for the Pi3)
Case
Keyboard & mouse (USB, or wireless with a USB dongle)
HDMI cable, and something to connect it to (HD TV or monitor)
Micro-SD card to hold the OS (I recommend the Samsung EVO Plus)

...and all that can add to the expense (my $35 Pi3 ended up costing me almost twice that much).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

HawaiianPi

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:07 am

And for some reason I just thought if this...

Shouldn't it have been called the Raspberry Pi 3.14 (1592653...)?

DougieLawson

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:33 am

Bleues63 wrote:I am new to this but want to learn. What model of Raspberry Pi should I start off with.
Zero (£5) with a WiFi dongle (£5) or 3B (£35), depending on how much you want to spend and how much you like messing with getting WiFi running.

Get a 2.5A power supply whether you go for the zero of the 3B.

Edit: fixed a stupid typo as spotted by all the pedants below.
Last edited by DougieLawson on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

davidcoton

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:03 am

DougieLawson wrote: or 3B (£5)
Where do you get a Pi3B for £5?

Edit: fixed quotes
Last edited by davidcoton on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

HawaiianPi

Re: Raspberry Pi - which to get

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:08 am

DougieLawson wrote:Zero (£5) with a WiFi dongle (£5) or 3B (£5), depending on how much you want to spend and how much you like messing with getting WiFi running.

Get a 2.5A power supply whether you go for the zero of the 3B.
If you want the cheapest Pi, then yes, the Pi-Zero is it. It also has no analog audio (only digital via HDMI), no built-in networking capability (of any kind), only a single USB I/O port, and no header installed in the GPIO port. Also, the USB port is micro, and the HDMI port is mini. So you are going to need even more accessories with the Zero than you would with other models, which partially offsets the lower price. And lets not forget it's roughly 7-8 times SLOWER than the Pi3 (1GHz single-core vs 1.2GHz quad core) and only has half the RAM.

The fact that they could even make a computer for five bucks is pretty impressive, but I don't think it's a good choice for a beginner.

The only two models powerful enough to be used as desktop computers (unless you have the patience of Job) are the Pi2 and the Pi3. Not speedy desktop computers, mind you, but still fast enough that you won't want to do this:

And right now the Pi2 is even more scarce than the Pi-Zero. You could save ten bucks on a model B+, but you'd be giving up a huge amount of performance, half the RAM, WiFi and Bluetooth. The Pi3 really is the one to get, unless you have a very specific project in mind that you know a Pi-Zero would work for (and then, good luck finding a Pi-Zero).

hello world :-)

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:09 am

davidcoton wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
Bleues63 wrote: or 3B (£5)
Where do you get a Pi3B for £5?
TypoBuy and Errorzon of course!
...although TypoBuy will sell you broken boards, and Errorzon will overprice everything by about £5

Ebay and Amazon, duh
I do moral support. Here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=egosearch
I know I use too many parentheses. Problem?
Topics I have posted in: http://bit.ly/1NbDdr5
My topics: http://bit.ly/1ObnKqQ
All my posts: http://bit.ly/1OHzje7

darkbibble

Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:29 pm

you should definetly get a pi3b its an amazing little computer, don't forget a heatsink for it tho.
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

bensimmo

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:13 pm

Being someone who uses the B+/B2/B3/A+ and Zero...
Go Pi3, one because it covers all bases and make using the GUI and almost using the web bearable. You can reboot quicker when fiddling and not have to worry that the microUSB or camera connectorares going to be damaged over the Zero.

Also one you start fiddling the Zero is not as cheap as it looks, you need to buy and stick pins in for GPIO or keep soldering, you need a USB hub which may or may not work for a keyboard and mouse and WiFi usage. HDMI is not a problem as you need one for the Pi3 anyway though minihdmi to HDMI cables are not as common and an adapter adds more cost.

The B2 is a fine thing to use but you may as well get the B3 as you'll need a WiFi adaptor anyway at some point and Bluetooth is another quid again if you start playing with that. The biggest crunch is you can actually buy a Pi3 now :lol:

Don't bother with the A+ either for general learning, it has the same need for a hub as the Zero once you need a keyboard and WiFi together and doesn't like a lot of the hubs out there from my experience. That and it's slower at default speed than the others.

HawaiianPi

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:13 pm

bensimmo wrote:...The biggest crunch is you can actually buy a Pi3 now :lol:
Yes, there's that too. You can actually buy a Pi3 because they are in stock, while most other models are out of stock/back ordered.

geoffr

Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:28 am

bensimmo wrote:Being someone who uses the B+/B2/B3/A+ and Zero...
Go Pi3, one because it covers all bases and make using the GUI and almost using the web bearable. You can reboot quicker when fiddling and not have to worry that the microUSB or camera connectorares going to be damaged over the Zero.
<snip>
I would echo that - if you don't know what you want to do with it, get the 3B. If you want to do anything where you want a screen and keyboard or need wired networking get the 3B. If you want to build a specific embedded project where low power usage and small size are a priority, get a Zero.

My kids use a 3B for Scratch programming and games. I use a Model B (original with 256M RAM) as a DNS/DHCP server. I use Zero as an AirPlay receiver, and I am (slowly) working on a project to build an irrigation controller with a Zero. I have another Zero in use to control a 433MHz transmitter to control some remote control power sockets. I am also using a 2B as a media player (running OSMC).
All my Zeros are running headless.

On second thoughts - start with a 3B, and when you want to start fiddling with projects that use the GPIO connector, get a Zero to go with it.

Return to “General discussion”