dma007

Men of War

Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:48 pm

Can someone plz help me on downloading and starting men of war on the pi 3 model b.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Men of War

Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:53 pm

Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:00 pm

dma007 wrote:Can someone plz help me on downloading and starting men of war on the pi 3 model b.
It appears to requires Windows Operating System and therefore not feasible to run on any Operating System available for the RPi 3B:

http://www.menofwargame.com
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

dma007

Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:26 pm

I have seen that men of war can run on Linux.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:36 pm

dma007 wrote:I have seen that men of war can run on Linux.
Yes you are right it can run under STEAM in Linux for X86-64 CPU Architecture:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -YZBN-3066

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/14299

The Raspberry Pi has ARM CPU Arhitecture and therefore STEAM is not compatible..

dma007

Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:58 pm

But there is many more websites to download the games but whenever I do and I prees the button that says open nothin happens thats why I need help

dma007

Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:59 pm

But also it downloads okay.

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:08 pm

It will not work. Full Stop. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. There is nothing you can do to make it work on the Pi. Sorry to have to be so blunt, but you've been told this numerous times. It's just not going to happen.
Account Inactive

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:34 pm

dma007 wrote:But also it downloads okay.
You can download *anything*. Downloading is just moving bytes from one machine to another. Downloading something doesn't mean it can be run as a program. The files you are downloading consist of instructions for x86-64 hardware architecture and the file format assumes that it is going to be run under a Windows OS, or a simulator that can pretend to be a Windows OS. While you can have WINE run on a Pi, you still have to problem that you'd also have to use an x86-64 simulator. The end result is that, while it might "run", it would do so at an unusably slow rate, say, on the order of minutes per frame rather than frames per second.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:36 pm

dma007 wrote:But also it downloads okay.
You need a x86-64 SBC like this; http://www.up-board.org

HawaiianPi

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:39 pm

dma007 wrote:I have seen that men of war can run on Linux.
fruitoftheloom wrote:Yes you are right it can run under STEAM in Linux for X86-64 CPU Architecture:...
The Raspberry Pi has ARM CPU Arhitecture and therefore STEAM is not compatible...
This is something a lot of people don't seem to understand. Different types of computers use different commands. The command to tell an Intel x86 computer to perform a bit shift (for example) will be very different from the same command on an ARM processor.

Think of it as different types of processors speaking different languages. The ARM processor in the Pi will not understand the commands written for the Intel x86 CPU in a Windows computer.

Most of the Windows PC operating systems were only written to run on Intel x86 or Intel x86-64 architecture, and therefore the software written to run on Windows is also written for that architecture. Linux, on the other hand, has been written to run on a wide variety of processor architectures, so much of the software for Linux has also been written for various architectures.

There are exceptions, though, and STEAM is one of them. It will run in Linux, but only on Linux for x86 based computers (same for the STEAM games).

There are emulators that allow the code from one architecture to run on another, but there is a tremendous overhead in doing so, and it usually requires a CPU at least ten times more powerful than the system it is emulating (and possibly much more than that). So if you are talking about playing an old DOS game, then yes it can be done on a Pi with emulation. As you progress forward toward newer systems it becomes harder to emulate on ARM architecture because the gap in CPU power narrows. Windows 98, probably. Windows XP, I have doubts about that (but I suppose I wouldn't be totally shocked). Windows 7 and beyond, forget about it. Somewhere in the era of Intel Core processors the situation flips. The lowly dual core i7 U-series processor in my Ultrabook runs rings around the quad-core ARM in my Pi3. Modern Intel processors are so powerful that they can emulate ARM processors, and are even faster when doing so!

So any game that is written to run on a modern Intel processor is unlikely to run under ARM-x86 emulation at anything approaching playable speed (and that's not even considering the memory overhead involved).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

dma007

Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Ok thanks I will look in to other games. Just asking do u have any suggetions on any games that work on the pi 3.

kusti8

Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:28 pm

dma007 wrote:Ok thanks I will look in to other games. Just asking do u have any suggetions on any games that work on the pi 3.
Anything SNES, DOS etc. Pretty much before 1990. The latest you can get is Quake.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

dma007

Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:39 pm

Also sorry for not listening to your comments I was just really hopping that men of war would run on pi 3. You guys are way more knowladgeable than me on the pi 3 I got this computer a few days ago. So Im sorry if I made anybody annoyed.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:27 am

dma007 wrote:Ok thanks I will look in to other games. Just asking do u have any suggetions on any games that work on the pi 3.
I was able to run the first 5 or 6 Wizardry games on an orignal Model B. The Pi3B should manage those, plus a couple more as well. I ran them using DOSBox.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:33 am

HawaiianPi wrote: There are emulators that allow the code from one architecture to run on another, but there is a tremendous overhead in doing so, and it usually requires a CPU at least ten times more powerful than the system it is emulating (and possibly much more than that).
Simulators to run object code from one machine on another have been in existence for a long time. At San Diego State College in the mid-1960s, they wrote a 1401 simulator to run on a 1620 (they called the program the "141"). Contrary to your "10 time faster" rule of thumb, note that the 1620 actually came out a couple of year *before* the 1401, and was somewhat slower. A lot of it comes down to what you think is an acceptable execution rate, the relative capabilities of the two machines, and the skill of the programmers writing the simulator.

hello world :-)

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:31 am

Here:
viewtopic.php?t=51794
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=raspberry+pi+games
Enjoy! :)
I do moral support. Here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=egosearch
I know I use too many parentheses. Problem?
Topics I have posted in: http://bit.ly/1NbDdr5
My topics: http://bit.ly/1ObnKqQ
All my posts: http://bit.ly/1OHzje7

Return to “General discussion”